Show Us Your City (warning: HUGE picture thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Greetings from India... In light of the recent "tell us about where you live" thread, I thought it would be cool to have a "show us where you live" thread. Even though India has been amazing (it makes me wonder if Bono was thinking of India when he penned the lines, " Let's see colors that have never been seen / Let's go to places no one else has been."), I must admit I'm going through a bit of a homesick phase the last week (must be cause I'm chilling out in Bombay at the moment).... So let's see your city!

Here's a few sample pics of Vancouver, BC, taken this past winter. There are way too many great Vancouver pics to choose from in these Vancouver picture threads below, so I just kind of picked eight, almost at random...

Taken from:

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?threadid=94961
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=35665
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=35669
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=40657&highlight=vancouver

e6.jpg

e3.jpg

panojer2.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

original.jpg

large.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pictures from Utrecht, the central city in the Netherlands. Since there's no water, nor any mountains near, there aren't any pictures of the skyline. You just have to do with the regular pictures. :)

The canals by night:
utrecht.jpg

Overview of the city centre (along the canal):
utrecht.jpg

The Dom Tower, the highest tower in the Netherlands (used to be connected to the church, but the mid-ship collapsed in a storm):
utrecht.jpg

One of the buildings of the Utrecht university:
utrecht-academiegebouw.jpg

A view from the Dom Tower:
Utrecht.jpg

C ya!

Marty

There is nothing to see in the town I live in except for houses, stores and cotton fields :lol: But here is a picture of the nearest big city, Norfolk, VA

Norfolk-VA-Skyline-05-23-2002-01.jpg

It is on the east coast of the US on the Atlantic Ocean. It is a major seaport and Naval base.

ottawa, canada's capital, is dominated by parliament hill. there are height restrictions on downtown buildings so that views of the hill are not unduly obstructed from certain angles.

parliament's east block with the chateau laurier at the back left and canal running across the top.
ottawa4.JPG

parliament hill from the quebec side of the ottawa river.
ottawa5.JPG

the parliament library, where i spent a lot of time as an intern early in university.
23a130.jpg

this looks west capturing the gothic architecture of parliament hill and the langevin building across rideau street as well as a system of 8 consecutive locks which connect the ottawa river and the rideau canal.
ottawa-n-panorama600.jpg

apart from parliament, the city's core consists of office towers generally lacking creativity.
ottawa1.JPG

apart from the building in the center right of this picture, which has an operating clock on its roof.

"I love that dirty water... ohh ohh Boston you're my home" ;)

boston1.jpg

A view of the city and the Charles River

boston2.jpg

A painting on the side of a building on upscale Newbury Street

boston3.jpg

Trinity Church and the Hancock buildings at Copley Square

boston4.jpg

Fenway Park :bow:

I'd add more, but I've got to run to work :grumpy:

^ Boston for me, too.

Here's some pictures I took of Boston:

Zakem Bridge
zakembridge.jpg

Old North Church
Bos_view.jpg

Boston
boston1.jpg

Paul Revere Statue
church1.jpg

I live in Mansfield, a large town in north Nottinghamshire

market09place.jpg

Mansfield itself has absolutely nothing to offer apart from coal mines that were shut down by the government in the 90s :down:

Nottingham (14 miles away) is good though :yes:

the market square:
OMS-flowers.jpg

Robin Hood:
robin.jpg

the biggest travelling fair in Europe - Goose Fair:
02.jpg

and lots of other stuff that I can't find pictures of :up:

25 miles North of me, Good old San Fran! (my city is boring.. ) :slant:

san%25francisco.jpg

04alcatraz.jpg

san%20francisco%20640x480.jpg

Ok fine, here's Redwood City :( Home of the Scott Peterson trial! :rant:

RWS.jpg

Not the best pics, but I'll post them anyway...

The Pink House ( it's the same thing as the white house)

dv604103.jpg

The Obelisk in 9 de Julio Avenue, the widest avenue in the world

dv650021.jpg

ca23240.jpg

Puerto Madero

dv604102.jpg

200119465-001.jpg

Our traditonal dance: Tango

ec4706-001.jpg

ca00498.jpg

Statue in Recoleta Cemetery ( that place is great to admire art sculptures)

200121216-001.jpg

how ironic that a bbq special on memphis just popped on food network. :wink:

here's piccies:

28memphis02.jpg

our skyline:
319wmemphis.jpg

a view of the river and harbour town:
memphis10.jpg

zoo:
memphis_7.jpg

graceland:
graceland.jpg

pink palace:
palace.jpg

as you can see it really is pink!

peabody place:
peabody_5.jpg

there's more i could post really but i'll save that for future stuff. :wink:

I don't even live in a town or a village, but when I do need the services that the city has to offer...like U2 concerts... this is where I go

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane.jpg

this is the nearest city to me, home of the Big Banana :crazy:
I go there several times a year and usually end up at the Botanic Garden or the marina. A nice place to visit

CHair.jpg

You sound a bit homesick Michael. I know several people who have travelled to Vancouver recently and they all loved the place.
Enjoy your travels.

Last edited:
Western Australia

perth.jpg

The Central Business District on the Swan River.

rotto.JPG

Rottnest Island, a ferry ride away from Perth. Lots of beautiful beaches, fresh cream buns and bikes (cars are forbidden). Good place to go at the end of semester :up: (except if you are not a student then its best to NOT go to Rotto then. )

newsletter.asp

Abbey-Church-Large.jpg

New Norcia - a little monestry outside of Perth that I love visiting. Very peaceful and the bread is glorious.

m283530.jpg

Bluff Knoll (aka Pualaar Miial ) in The Porongurups ie The Worlds Oldest Hills (near where my Mum lives. )

kings-park-b_3.jpg

Kings Park - a mostly native reserve of 400 hectares (1000 acres) right in the middle of the city.

Sorrento.JPG

Hillarys Marina - near where I live. Cant find a day time photo. Most famous for half of it burning down recently due to lack of WATER access. :huh:

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

A view of the city from Citadel Hill, an 18th-century fort in the middle of downtown:
07180039.jpg

The Old Town Clock (on Citadel Hill) from Brunswick St, at the foot of The Hill:
07180046.jpg

Cable Wharf (the largest non-commercial wharf in Canada I believe) and the Queen's Wharf Bridge, overlooking Halifax Harbour. The fish shack I worked at last summer is just barely to the right of this photo:
10120018a.jpg

An aerial shot overlooking Citadel Hill and the downtown area:
h4.jpg

Halifax's Historic Properties, buildings that have been there since the city's founding in 1749:
ImgHfx01.jpg

Granville St, the street that holds the first building ever built in Halifax - The Split Crow Pub!
cd01_09_p5273476G.jpg

Our waterfront:
cd01_09_p5273429G.jpg

A webcam animation of the sun going down on the South End of Halifax, including the Harbour. This is from the top of the tallest tower in Halifax, the 33-storey Fenwick Tower (a University Residence):
an1.gif

You can see the webcam for yourself here:
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Webcam/

And finally, a shot of the skyline at dusk:
ImgHfx02.jpg

Damn I love this city.

I feel like posting some more.

This is the Angus L MacDonald Bridge, connecting Dartmouth and Halifax:
cd01_05_p5080010G.jpg

This is the Bluenose II, replica of the World's Fastest Schooner and the ship that's on every Canadian dime:
cd01_09_p5273455G.jpg

The original one sank on a reef off the coast of Haiti in 1929 I believe. She raced dozens of other ships and never lost a race.

Another shot of the Southern end of the waterfront. The glass building on the very left is where the G-7 summit was held in 1994:
file-10-6766-file_image.jpg

This is our public bus system - Metro Transit. The buses are cheap, the schedules suck, and the routes go almost nowhere. But it gets us around I suppose:
misc01.jpg

A panorama of the Historic Properties and the Sheraton Hotel on the right. That hotel is where I had my prom.
skylines12.jpg

A panoramic skyline of the city:
skylines10.jpg

This city makes my heart bleed. I'm not ever leaving.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Downtown:
Winnipeg.jpg

winnipeg.gif

Winnipeg1.jpg

Some of my own pics of the city:

St. Boniface Cathedral
f1_stb1.jpg

Skyline at sunset
f1_skyline1.jpg

Across the river
f1_river2.jpg

Ah the Golden Boy atop the Winnipeg skyline.

:up:

I will display mine just for the sake of showing that there is more to Western Canada than Vancouver...

Calgary Downtown Core:

Calgary.gif

Calgary Stampede Grounds:

calgary.jpg

Statue of Raffles, British guy who 'founded' modern Singapore
gallery_landmarks08.jpg

Clark Quay - upmarket eateries and pubs by the river
gallery_landmarks05.jpg

Underwater World, Sentosa
gallery_sentosa07.jpg

a so-called 'food court'
gallery_lifestyles04.jpg

the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit), a pseudo-subway system
gallery_transport02.jpg

The Chang Airport Tower
gallery_transport06.jpg

Raffles Hotel
RafflesHotel.jpg

That 'legendary' symbol created by the Tourism Board - the Merlion
MerLion.jpg

A flat in which most Singaporeans would live in (I don't though)
SingaporeApartmentBlock.jpg

The Esplanade (Arts Centre)....not very pleasant to look at
esplanade.jpg

Borders at Orchard Road (our Oxford Street, if you will)
borders.jpg

the Underground Mall at the City Link Eterance (sic)
cityhall.jpg

Another big mall at Orchard Road
045.jpg

Apparently Murrieta, CA is even uglier from the air :yikes:
Smogtastic!
murrieta_hot_springs_11-18-02.jpg

Old Town Temecula (which is almost exactly the same as Murrieta, but a little larger)
Im000815.jpg

Those are the only pictures i could find.

Some pictures of my university: UC Riverside
Sproul.gif

I've never seen the leaves nearly this bright before, i think they may have altered the photo to make the school look more attractive than it really is.
towerfall.jpg

Rivera.jpg

science%20library.jpg

Minneapolis, Minnesota

The largest shopping mall in the US, the Mall of America. Camp Snoopy, an amusement park, is in the middle of the mall.
33%3A9%3A79523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235578%3B8667ot1lsi

There's lakes everywhere you go. This is one not too far from downtown.
33%3A9%3A79523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235578%3B%3A3%3C9ot1lsi

same lake in the winter
33%3A9%3A79523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235578%3B9753ot1lsi

Downtown Minneapolis. That creepy white thing in the middle is the Metrodome, home to the Minnesota Twins and Vikings. It's just as creepy on the inside. Maybe one day we'll have a pretty stadium.
33%3A9%3A79523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235578%3B7784ot1lsi

Sculpture garden....
33%3A9%3A79523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235578%3B74%3C2ot1lsi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom