Should I Give NIN's 'The Downward Spiral' a try?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Is NIN's 'The Downward Spiral' really any good?

I know 'Closer' and 'Hurt'(though at the moment I think the Man In Black's version is much more powerful), but that's it. All the samples on amazon.com sound like a bunch of machinery. They all sound the same.

It's supposedly their - his - whatever, best record. I'm tentitatively considering downloading the record. Should I?

Throwing yourself off a cliff is a quicker way to commit suicide........

Just kidding :wink:

Bono's favourite 'dark' album apparently.

I quite like it.

Of course the only time I really listen to it is when I'm suicidal, so it's been a few years since I last heard it. But I always found it far better than most industrial.

I say go for it. :yes:

Don't set your expectations too high, if you do you'll be disappointed. It kind of has to grow on you. I've had this CD since it came out, and I really liked it for a few years. I probably won't listen to it again anytime soon though.

I do think you have to be in the right mood for it. If you are, it's great, if you aren't it's just a whiny guy over a lot of noise.

And I'm one who likes it. :shrug:

For goodness sakes, get it for the sounds.
I am one who listens to sound over lyrics anyways.
Reznor is not a great singer and he has "woe is me" disease, but for the sonic nature of that whole album it is worth it.

Get out the headphones too.

Absolutely phenomenal album. Sounds AMAZING loud and on headphones. "Reptile" in particular is a fave for me. Love "Piggy" too.

HelloAngel said:
Absolutely phenomenal album. Sounds AMAZING loud and on headphones. "Reptile" in particular is a fave for me. Love "Piggy" too.

Just curious HelloAngel, do you find Reptile to be sexy? I know that the song should be disgusting, but there is something compelling about it.

And I am a straight guy. :|

:lol:

reptile is totally hot. actually, i find most of trent's work has heavy sexual undertones.

love downward spiral. my favourite angry cd. except for broken.

:drool:

dandy said:
i find most of trent's work has heavy sexual undertones.

love downward spiral. my favourite angry cd. except for broken.

:drool:
so true. :up:

'ruiner' is definitely a favourite of mine.

Well, I was out today and saw it in a bargain bin so I picked it up. After giving it a quick scanthrough, I'm not impressed yet. The man doesn't know melody. Every chorus is devoid of singing or melody or anything like that. It's just screaming. Am I missing something?

namkcuR said:
Well, I was out today and saw it in a bargain bin so I picked it up. After giving it a quick scanthrough, I'm not impressed yet. The man doesn't know melody. Every chorus is devoid of singing or melody or anything like that. It's just screaming. Am I missing something?

Download "Wish" and "Last."

They're hate-fuck songs made to work out your stereo and fist.

As are most NIN songs.

namkcuR said:

listen to Eraser as it slowly builds, listen to the fucked up melody line. It's not your conventional la-de-da, but it's still melody. And it rules. The whole outro to Closer is built around a melody line.

I won't defend his choruses, but his sense of sound is amazing.
And "I beat my machine, it's a part of me, inside of me" during Becoming. that's a melodic bit I need to break that disc out I haven't heard it in a long time.

HIs current song is wrecked by a poor chorus
"there is no you there is only me" over and over.
I said it in another thread, he needs guests vocalists, if not guest lyrica writers. Otherwise his music is nearly unmatched.

I just put it on, so I'll do another post after I have listened to it again, it's probably been a year since I heard it.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

Yes, you are missing the pure brilliance of it. :wink:

Seriously, it takes some getting used to, but I loved Piggy, Heresy, March of the Pigs, Closer, Reptile and Hurt pretty much instantly.

Yes, I definitely find Reptile very, very very sexy. Like, I want to dance on a table with my big black boots to it. :sexywink:

In high school, my best friend and I made up a funny dance to it while we would drive to school or anywhere else. It basically consisted of us "shaking our maracas" and rocking back and forth and mimicking wiper blades, but we thought it was awesome! :lol:

I feel it's a record of it's time, and to be fair he was at the depths of his depression when he made it. I also don't think it's fair to say the man is devoid of melody. If you want melody you started with the wrong NIN record. I also don't agree with some of you with regards to his vocals, I actually really like the way he sings, he's not the strongest vocalist, but I couldn't imagine anyone else putting the personality and humanity into the songs the way he does.

TDS isn't my favourite NIN record by a long shot, if I were you I would have started with 'With Teeth' then back to The Fragile which has some of has some of the most beautiful ambient instrumental music I have ever heard (The Frail, La Mer) mixed with some great rock songs (We're In This Together, The Wrethed, No You Don't). Overall it's a work of genius, just the way he links the songs together is something else.

Another great album is 'Still' a rare record but well worth hunting down with more ambient takes on songs from The Fragile.

It all comes down to what you want, no NIN record is an easy listen as they're extremely dark, I'd say that WT is the easiest on the ear and the most 'melodic'.

Back
Top Bottom