Should i fly with a european airline ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rono

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I am looking for some information about delta airlines and US airways . I am on the point to book my trip to the US but this two companies have some financial problems. Should i book a ticket on a european company ? I don`t want to be left behind on the Amsterdam airport ( schiphol )

:|

:hmm: but left behind on the airport of dallas ,.....

schiphol airport is my favourite airport of all time. i wet my pants just thinking about how cool it would be to able to go there again. been there four times, and the one time i actually had the time to walk around i was far too tired to check the whole place out good and proper.

again, that airport rules. :drool:

anyway, as long as you don't fly air france (or air chance, as my relatives call it), you should be ok i'd think. northwest/klm has been good to me too.

Delta = Don't even leave the airport. :wink:

What's wrong with KLM? I've always found them to be quite a good airline. Lufthansa has lost my luggage twice, but they're otherwise decent. British Airways had never disappointed me.

british airways and virgin are also two of the most respectable airlines, but probably some of the most expensive too.

singapore airlines is apparently something else, though of course i doubt they're even an option in this case.

I stole a very high quality blanket off a British Airways flight 14 years ago and it's still in use. :drool:

Air France bought KLM (though technically I should say that they merged, yeah whatever...) but I haven't heard about it affecting their performance yet :wink:.

I once heard that the American airlines are more expensive but it might not be true.

I guess I'm not much of a help here, except to say that Schiphol indeed does rule quite a lot. I once had to spend a night there and I had a lot of fun! :24hourcocktailbar:

I believe KLM has quite the history and an excellent record on flying trans-atlantic so I would probably go for that.

i've been to quite a few airports, and there is none quite like amsterdam's.

though of course paris' is something else too, judging by its pictures.

i should also mention, that in case you haven't figured it out yet, i have an airport fetish. :sexywink:

i'm serious. it's weird. am i the only one?

Zoomerang96 said:
i've been to quite a few airports, and there is none quite like amsterdam's.

though of course paris' is something else too, judging by its pictures.

The 'Beautiful Day' video has left me with something of an affinity for Charles De Gaulle airport :up:

Zoomerang96 said:
i should also mention, that in case you haven't figured it out yet, i have an airport fetish. :sexywink:

i'm serious. it's weird. am i the only one?

I actually never know if you're serious or not, but I absolutely love airports! I've been to two french airports (one of them was the CdG) and they pale in comparison to Schiphol.

DrTeeth said:

I actually never know if you're serious or not, but I absolutely love airports! I've been to two french airports (one of them was the CdG) and they pale in comparison to Schiphol.

I find them very thrilling. I look forward to the hustle and bustle of arriving at the airport as much as I do the actual holiday - there's something about the atmosphere there.

DrTeeth said:

in this case, i'm very very serious. i know most people hate airports and flying, but i love it. they're like mini-cities!

and that's interesting to hear that the charles... is actually below schiphol's in your mind.

last time i was there, i got someone to take a picture of me with "schiphol" in the background. it's just one of those things i wanna remember i guess.

the only problem i have with that place is trying to get onto those computers. in athens, all you have to do is sit down in one of the terminals and it automatically works! at least that's the way it used to a few years ago...

in amsterdam you have to go and find some place to buy a card...and that didnt work until finally i went to one of those phone places where you could buy like 10 minutes for 5 euro's. :s

argh, i'm so nostalgic!

Schiphol is a cool airport. The one in Frankfurt is really huge too.

yeah, but isn't berlin getting a brand new one in a few years? do you know if it's supposed to be a hub for anyone?

as for eastern europe, apparently warsaw's is the nicest. it's nice, sure, but it doesn't come close to the ones out west.

start an airport appreciation thread for me, and include some pictures.

you do that, and i'll bake you a cake. :sexywink:

seriously, do it. :angry:

foto2.jpg

I will have a flying lesson here in two weeks time :hyper:

This thread is making me want to vomit.
Not because of you guys, I must clarify, but because of my unnatural and debilitating fear of flying.

Royal Dutch would be my pick Rono, or Cathay. I dont think I ever will depart my sunny shores for Europe, but if I ever do, it has to be the fattest biggest fucker of a plane available, none of these anorexic skinny as all piss planes that don't look like they'd even survive turbulence. Garuda and Thai used to have them, but I think they've fattened up.

PS, even though you pay, keep in mind that QANTAS have an impeccable record. No lives lost yet.
:scream:

Good luck Rono. :hug:
:sad:

I hate flying but I love airports! Like somebody already said: they've got this great atmosphere and they are like mini cities...

:bump:

Yep, I'm resurrecting an old thread since I have almost the same question. For my trip to the USA I can choose from 3 airlines:
United Airlines
Continental Airlines
British Airways

Which one is the one to pick. United has a slightly better connection than the other two. Then again, I do have to spend 8 hours in a plane.

Anyone has some good advice?

:crack:

Marty

Marty, when are you coming to the States again? I ask because it would be cool if we could hook up...I only live about 2.5 hours from NYC.

Popmartijn said:

Yep, I'm resurrecting an old thread since I have almost the same question. For my trip to the USA I can choose from 3 airlines:
United Airlines
Continental Airlines
British Airways

For me it wouldn't even be a question - go with British Airways.

Way, WAY better than the other two, and I've never had any difficulty with them. Wonderful experience every time I've travelled on BA, although I usually skip out on them because they're pricier. If the prices are about equivalent, BA hands down wins.

Northwest, which is owned by Dutch KLM, is probably the most financially sound American carrier. I really wouldn't worry about them going belly up. But I've also flown U.S. Airways before, and have never had any problem with them.

I do quite like British Airways, though, although I hear some people really hate them.

Melon

pax said:
Marty, when are you coming to the States again? I ask because it would be cool if we could hook up...I only live about 2.5 hours from NYC.

I'll be staying in New York from (probably) 14 May until 24 May, after which I go to Washington until 28 May.
Sorry, I can't make it to the Philadelphia party. :|
But I will be there for the New York get-together. :)

BTW, what happened to your name, paxetaurora?
;)

popmartijn,

northwest/klm have a hub in amsterdam. why don't you fly with them?

but british airways are also very, very good.

Zoomerang96 said:
popmartijn,

northwest/klm have a hub in amsterdam. why don't you fly with them?

but british airways are also very, very good.

Somehow, KLM/Northwest don't have many (any?) flights to New York and from Washington. Or at least, not at the price BA (or others) are offering them.
Remember, I'm Dutch, thus a cheap bastard. ;)

Back
Top Bottom