Should Bon Jovi be in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Yes or no?

I say yay.... as in yes.

They will have the opportunity to be inducted a few years....

They have been around forever and have a sound and reputation that is still strong.

Also they have written many classic songs such as "You Give Love a Bad Name." Hell, writing that song should put them in,defintely...

Give your opinons... I'd like to know. They were once one of the hugest bands around and have successful albums in every decade... Even if you hate Bon Jovi, you have heard of them...

Again I will look foward to their induction... probably in 2008...

I never liked their music much but differently from the people I know I never said anything bad or even thought anything bad about them because they have one or two songs that are slightly enjoyable to me. So one day I was watching tv and there was a Bon Jovi show on the tube, as the British say :)D), and I realized that Bon Jovi was imitating every move Bruce Springsteen ever did to a point I was actually embarrassed of watching tv. Bruce did in the Reunion Tour his mad priest act during Tenth Avenue Freeze Out and Light Of Day and Bon Jovi did the same damn thing, "We're here for a celebration, unification....", now I know that apparently James Brown was the one who started that years ago but he just did it all like Bruce, imitating his gestures and ways when he is not with his guitar. I always knew that Bon Jovi was influenced by Bruce because the lyrics are in the same style (too much in the same style) and stuff but I was just shocked and lost all of my little respect for them. I think it?s great to recognize your influences but not imitate them like that. However they probably will be inducted.

they should.

the hall of fame needs some kind of 80s representative

we've got u2 of course

but there's no way in hell we're going to see bauhaus or someone in there

so pick the biggest artist after u2 in the 1980s - bon jovi

Yes, they should. Whether or not you like them (there must be bands there each of us don't care for) they have had a long enough career and mean enough to enough people that they belong there. In 2001, they played the same arenas as U2. They have a following. I also hope Def Leppard makes it.

Bash the 80's rock bands all you want people, SOME of them have to get in. They represent a genre and a time period and there will be a huge lack of inductees in the future if all these bands are ignored. Remember, not everybody thinks these bands are 'shitty' and 'suck.' Thank goodness those who choose the bands are more objective.

On topic, kind of, has Ozzy ever finally been inducted, or do they still diss him?

hmmm, maybe not yet...but the last bon jovi records really suck, they're no more a rock/hard rock band...they became almost a boyband, i don't remember a track of the last 2 records! the older songs were their real essence

I would not be surprised if they were inducted.

And, though I do not know what the criteria is for Induction, I do not believe that Bon Jovi was ever innovative, or changed music for the better in some way or fashion. Looking over previous Inductees, it seems that most of them have the respect of their musical peers, and so thusly they are offered a spot in the Hall of Fame. I have no idea if Bon Jovi has musical respect or not by their peers. Along these lines, though - if people feel the need that an "80s representative" should get in, I better see Talking Heads, Guns N Roses, Duran Duran, The Cure and Depeche Mode before any Bon Jovi-type band get in.

well, Richie Sambora is recognised as one of the best guitar players so they do have respect from their peers

personally I don't like their music at all
but hey

Bon Jovi is the ONLY Glam Rock band to survived the 90s succesfully... they MUST be on the R&RHOF... the only other 80s group is gonna be U2 next year...

Maybe Metallica in the future... but if they left out Black Sabatth... they could left out anybody

They didnt left Black Sabbath out, from what I heard they were offered a spot on the RRHOF and didnt wanted since they said that the mainstream never treated them right.

U2Soar said:
No - unless there is a Backstreet Boys & Spice Girls section / division at the R&R HOF.

Oh come on. Any band that writes their own songs and plays their own instruments (whether or not you like them) are better than manufactured pop. There have been some stars inducted that were singers only and not writers or musicians, so don't rule out Justin Timberlake (though I personally cannot stand him) and such things in the future.

In addition, I never said Bon Jovi should be inducted INSTEAD of Talking Heads, Guns N Roses, etc. I mean in addition to. When I said there were some bands from that era that had to make it, I mean them as opposed to say, Poison, Warrant or Cinderella.

U2Kitten said:
In addition, I never said Bon Jovi should be inducted INSTEAD of Talking Heads, Guns N Roses, etc.

No one said you did. :)

But I guess my point is, irregardless of how anyone feels about this band, just because they were a big, popular part of an era - a very disrespected musical era at that - doesn't mean they deserve a spot in the RNRHOF.

I said that because somebody said 'yes, thank you' and reposted the bands you mentioned that maybe it looked as if maybe they thought that. I still think they will get in someday. Just because the majority of people on this forum are prejudiced against them and their music doesn't mean the whole world feels the same way, so we'll see what happens.

HelloAngel said:

That's not necessarily an accomplishment.

I think it is...

I'm sure you've remembered times when you hear Europe's "The Final Countdown" or "Carrie"...
Or when you see Poison's Bret Michaels on TV...
Or when you see A-HA's Take on Me (not glam, but still famous)...
Or Dirty Trick and their 5-headed guitar...
Or any other Glam band... they're gone... except for BJ... and that's because their music was and is more relevant to a lot of people than the other groups songs

Europe's Final Countdown was about a rocket going out to the space...

BJ's Runaway (BJ's 1st song) talked about a girl running away and becoming a prostitute... you see my point?
After 9/11... Everyday was about making it above what happened and starting living your life again...

Where's Guns N' Roses now?... I know where they are not... doing Bon Jovi's work

I agree with U2Kitten and believe she is very correct in her assessment of things... and I must add that Bon Jovi has accomplished much and their rep (good/ bad) continues to live on...

I think Sabbath rejected their slot but I could be wrong...

One cannot discount Richie Sambora.... you know he's till married to Heather Locklear.... that is a very important accomplishment...

Back
Top Bottom