Shag Point, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't suppose you gave A Storm In Heaven a whirl then, Bonnie? :wink:

I downloaded it back in Adelaide but I forgot to put it on my iPod and now I'm back here. :grumpy:

I'll check it out now (said this about three times now haven't I?).

:laugh: Nice going there.

Also, after the shoegaze discussion that took place earlier today on the last thread, I think I really badly need to download some Catherine Wheel.

Not sure if it was a misspelling of my address or something, that tends to happen.

I've been meaning to ask: what on earth does your e-mail address mean? And how do you tell it to people? I have a hard enough time with amakaxver that I sometimes just give people my university address as it's simply my real name.

:laugh: Nice going there.

Also, after the shoegaze discussion that took place earlier today on the last thread, I think I really badly need to download some Catherine Wheel.

Oh, you haven't checked them out? They were one of the first I got into. Shouldn't be too hard finding their stuff online.

Oh, you haven't checked them out? They were one of the first I got into. Shouldn't be too hard finding their stuff online.

Yeah, they've been one of those bands who I've been aware of, but not actually looked into. It amuses me that their lead vocalist is the cousin of Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson.

I've been meaning to ask: what on earth does your e-mail address mean? And how do you tell it to people? I have a hard enough time with amakaxver that I sometimes just give people my university address as it's simply my real name.

Thayendanegea is Mohawk Iroquois for "he who places two bets", or something roughly akin to that. It was the native name for Joseph Brant, an Iroquois chief loyal to the British during the American Revolution.

I just pronounce it with my best knowledge of how to pronounce Mohawk (actually, I did study it a bit a couple years ago) and when they pause and look at me I say "uh, it was this Indian chief".

Thayendanegea is Mohawk Iroquois for "he who places two bets", or something roughly akin to that. It was the native name for Joseph Brant, an Iroquois chief loyal to the British during the American Revolution.

I just pronounce it with my best knowledge of how to pronounce Mohawk (actually, I did study it a bit a couple years ago) and when they pause and look at me I say "uh, it was this Indian chief".

Hah, that's awesome. :up:

See, I just get tired of spelling out my e-mail address for people, and yours seems like it would be even more of a pain to spell out. Though it's especially frustrating for me because my accent apparently shows the most when I spell things out, and some people are stunningly dense (once tried to spell 'goanna' to a guy at high school and it came back 'goainina' because he thought I was saying 'in' ...).

OK. Bonnie, how familiar are you with Catherine Wheel's discography? I was just intending to find their first two albums, but there's a full discography torrent here. Think it'd be worth it? The average ratings on RYM seem to indicate they fell victim to the standard shoegaze band curse of producing a couple of good early albums and then going to shit ...

OK. Bonnie, how familiar are you with Catherine Wheel's discography? I was just intending to find their first two albums, but there's a full discography torrent here. Think it'd be worth it? The average ratings on RYM seem to indicate they fell victim to the standard shoegaze band curse of producing a couple of good early albums and then going to shit ...

Just avoid their last album. They did not fall to shit, but, I will admit that their musical direction changes after their first 2 albums.

Their B-sides are actually pretty good, so, find the Like Cats and Dogs stuff if you go above and beyond the first 2 albums.

I imagine there are people here that would deny it, but the general opinion is that Catherine Wheel are THE shoegaze-band-that-went-to-shit. Their later stuff is the worst of the worst. I'm mainly saying word-of-mouth here, but I have heard post-Chrome stuff that really stinks.

Last edited:
Just avoid their last album. They did not fall to shit, but, I will admit that their musical direction changes after their first 2 albums.

Their B-sides are actually pretty good, so, find the Like Cats and Dogs stuff if you go above and beyond the first 2 albums.

I don't even mind their later stuff altough it is fairly generic...

Cats and Dogs is pretty good - I agree, they actually do a half-decent cover of Wish You Were Here...

The torrent in question actually has Like Cats And Dogs as well as the five main albums, so that's cool. Looks like they put a Pink Floyd cover on there - should be interesting. (Edit: And hey, by the time I post, it's already mentioned!)

Love the contrasting opinions from you and Bonnie on the later works. :lol:

Last edited:
Now that I really thing about it, Andre, for you, do not bother beyond the first 2 albums. The bottom line is despite my feelings towards the other albums, you will not like them, and that's the point of this exercise. Go with the first two, maybe get the B-sides, call it a shoe-gazey day.

But, they did not go to shit. They went another route. Some liked it, some did not. Easy as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom