Setlist from Smashing Pumpkins reunion show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
Setlist from the Smashing Pumpkins reunion show in Paris, looks like a blinder, considering the titles we already know:

United States
Today
Stand Inside Your Love
Orchid
Doomsday Clock
Home
Hummer
Starz
Tarantula
Bullet
Gossamer
God and Country
Rocket
Witerlong
To Sheila
Glass and the Ghost Children
Cherub Rock
Tonight, Tonight
Neverlost
That’s the Way
Disarm
Zero
Untitled

Shame
Silverfuck

Annie Dog
Muzzle

END

:ohmy: :drool:

yeah, meaty...
and some surprises on there - they haven't played 'hummer' full on since like 1994, 'home' (deep cut from machina ii), and 'untitled' - that 'last single' from the greatest hits...god i love that tune.
they have some fan shot video of some of the newer songs on their new website -

www.smashingpumpkins.com

getting excited!
it's like i'm 17 all over again...

Ok, I know I'm being a bitch here, BUT . . .

what's the difference between Billy Corgan + Jimmy Chamberlain = The Smashing Pumpkins 2007 and Billy Corgan + Jimmy Chamberlain = Zwan????

What? Zwan can't learn how to play Smashing Pumpkins songs?

Smashing Pumpkins 2007 = LAME CAPITALIZING ON PAST GLORIES!

:down:

(And I used to be a Smashing Pumpkins fan. I've saw them 4 times live--when they were really The Smashing Pumpkins.)

I'll wait until Zeitgeist drops to make my opinion on the Billy/Jimmy Pumpkins or Zwan debate, but Tarantula piqued my interest.

FitzChivalry said:

what's the difference between Billy Corgan + Jimmy Chamberlain = The Smashing Pumpkins 2007 and Billy Corgan + Jimmy Chamberlain = Zwan????

(And I used to be a Smashing Pumpkins fan. I've saw them 4 times live--when they were really The Smashing Pumpkins.)

whatever.

would you be more or less likely to buy the record/bitch in this thread if they used a different name?

those folk in paris got to see jimmy and billy (whatever you want to call them) play hummer, and that's fucking cool, no matter how you slice it...

and tarantula sure sounds like smashing pumpkins to me...

FitzChivalry said:

:wink:

listening to the bootlegs from the first show...
holy shit do they sound GOOD!

stand inside your love = BIG ROCK.
glad these songs are back out there...
:drool:

here's a recording of the show:

hxxp://www. .com/?d=3ZMMPPSP

a little above average audience recording

mikal said:
here's a recording of the show:

hxxp://www. .com/?d=3ZMMPPSP

a little above average audience recording

that's m e g a u p l o a d, by the way.

'starz' is 'bullet with butterfly wings' done by the killers on the 'hot fuss' album....
coooool...:drool:

FitzChivalry said:

billy corgan = smashing pumpkins
billy corgan = zwan

he can call himself whatever he wants and play whatever songs he wants as far as i am concerned. d'arcy and james add absolutely nothing, who cares if they are there. it will be better shows, you won't have to sit through the god awful songs james wrote and listen to him sing.

jphelmet said:

billy corgan = smashing pumpkins
billy corgan = zwan

he can call himself whatever he wants and play whatever songs he wants as far as i am concerned. d'arcy and james add absolutely nothing, who cares if they are there. it will be better shows, you won't have to sit through the god awful songs james wrote and listen to him sing.

James did enough to warrant a songwriting credit on "Soma" and "Mayonaise", 2 of their finest songs. So, he did alot more than "nothing."

oh yeah, "That's The Way" sounds guitartastic:drool:

MrBrau1 said:

James did enough to warrant a songwriting credit on "Soma" and "Mayonaise", 2 of their finest songs. So, he did alot more than "nothing."

Maybe Billy was feeling overly-generous that day. It's sad to say, but I've always seen James and D'arcy as arty wallpaper...limited, and one-dimensional. I think this new incarnation goes beyond having the potential to be better...they are better.

I'll also say this: Tarantula is one of the most straight ahead, confident-sounding things they've ever released.

I think that's being a little unfair to James Iha, who was written and recorded music on his own that, while not better than Corgan's best work, is certainly better than Billy's piece of shit solo album from a year or so ago. Iha certainly contributed to the band, and I think real Pumpkins fans who have followed them for a while and seen them live can attest to that.

I really liked the Zwan album a lot, and when they split up so quickly it became clear to me that Corgan is a control freak who has trouble collaborating with other musicians. If you read all the PR bullshit when the band formed he was all talking abut finally having people he could relate to, etc., but in the end it was the same old story. He's the problem, I imagine, much like how Eddie Van Halen can't quite seem to figure out who he wants singing next to him.

I'm not bothered by Billy using the Pumpkins name now, because I feel it would be an even bigger insult to retain the Zwan name without Pajo, Paz, and Sweeney. They certainly weren't going to go with Corgan/Chamberlain.

lazarus said:
I think that's being a little unfair to James Iha, who was written and recorded music on his own that, while not better than Corgan's best work, is certainly better than Billy's piece of shit solo album from a year or so ago. Iha certainly contributed to the band, and I think real Pumpkins fans who have followed them for a while and seen them live can attest to that.

as bad as billy's solo album was it was still way better than any of the awful solo stuff james did.

iha may have contributed (very little imo), but as a huge pumpkins fan, who has seen them live many times, i don't care if he is there or not now.

the main thing i see is whether it was zwan or pumpkins, or the new pumpkins songs- they all have the same sound. the reason being its almost exclusively all billy. that is why i say he can call himself whatever he wants. zwan had some other good musicians with him (i am big matt sweeney and chavez fan), but it still sounded to me like it was all billy to my ears. its not like it was collabaration that took them to a real different place musically.

Back
Top Bottom