See DaVinci's "The Last Supper" in its 16 billion pixel glory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2democrat said:
http://www.haltadefinizione.com/en/cenacolo/look.asp

It's really cool...and I must say seeing it up close like that the figure to Jesus' right looks VERY feminine...

A lot of Da Vinci's portraits had a feminine slant to them. He often introduced very subtle amiguities to his work. But please don't take Dan Brown's word for it.

One of these is, in my modest opinion, the knife itself. We can stare at it for ages wondering if it is the hand of Mary/the apostle it's meant to be, but thinking her/his arm couldn't be that long and it's ublikely he'd made such a proprtional error. However on closer examination I think the knife is being held by the old man leaning in to the Mary apostle, his wrist is twisted inward, as though the back of his palm is leaning on his waist so the knife points away from people. But of course, I might be wrong, or this was an intentional move on Da Vinci's part to confuse us all for eternity.
:wink:

i'm an art history major...IMO the Da Vinci Code is a fun read but the facts are 300 pages of :censored:

my art professor just came out with a book called "The Art Thief" that he wrote...check it out

"The Art Thief" by Noah Charney

The Last Supper is beautiful...I saw it for the first time this summer...it needs restoration desperately but its amazing that it survived the war.

I agree with you, Europop. I'm hesitant to say anything on this painting, because as great a painter as Da Vinci is/was, he was admittedly not very good at fresco paintings, which is why this painting is so badly survived: the wall is very damp, he didn't put the correct under layers on, and so it was ruined even in his lifetime; thus it's been repainted over several times. Hence new artists= new opinions, and 'restoration' wasn't as it is now. They could just as well put their interpretations on the painting as they were restoring it as could any others, so who knows what Da Vinci intended? A proper restoration is badly needed, like they did in the Sistene, and with some of Raphael's work that wiped out all other artist 'fixings'.

U2democrat said:
http://www.haltadefinizione.com/en/cenacolo/look.asp

It's really cool...and I must say seeing it up close like that the figure to Jesus' right looks VERY feminine...

The female is Mary M.

She was very close to the Savior and the first one at the tomb to witness the/his resurrection.

This shouldn't be controversial; and why it is could be anybody's guess.

dbs

my favorite painting...the school of athens by raphael, raphael drew all the great philosophers, but since nobody knew what they looked like, Raphael drew the artists playing the philosophers...so you have Da Vinci as Socrates in the center pointing at the sky...Michaelangelo in the forefront in the purple tunic with his fist to his head playing Aristotle, and Raphael draws his own self portrait outside of the lower right corner (unseen)

200%20Raphael%20School%20of%20Athens%20Detail.jpg

Re: Re: See DaVinci's "The Last Supper" in its 16 billion pixel glory!

Angela Harlem said:

One of these is, in my modest opinion, the knife itself. We can stare at it for ages wondering if it is the hand of Mary/the apostle it's meant to be, but thinking her/his arm couldn't be that long and it's ublikely he'd made such a proprtional error. However on closer examination I think the knife is being held by the old man leaning in to the Mary apostle, his wrist is twisted inward, as though the back of his palm is leaning on his waist so the knife points away from people. But of course, I might be wrong, or this was an intentional move on Da Vinci's part to confuse us all for eternity.
:wink:

Absolutely. Follow the wrist up into the blue sleeve. That's the old man's sleeve. What's the story with the knife? Dan Brown sucks.

I love how Jesus has this expression on His face like, "Uhhhh, dudes, I'm just trying to get through this prayer, k? ."

The apostles to the right look annoying, like they're whining and bitching. And the three to their right look paranoid. Strange how the apostles are all grouped in threes.

Re: Re: Re: See DaVinci's "The Last Supper" in its 16 billion pixel glory!

UberBeaver said:

Absolutely. Follow the wrist up into the blue sleeve. That's the old man's sleeve. What's the story with the knife? Dan Brown sucks.

I love how Jesus has this expression on His face like, "Uhhhh, dudes, I'm just trying to get through this prayer, k? ."

The apostles to the right look annoying, like they're whining and bitching. And the three to their right look paranoid. Strange how the apostles are all grouped in threes.

its the scene where jesus announces that somebody in the room will betray him, and the apostles wanting to know who it is

wow, very cool. thanks for posting it! too bad they have those "H9" imprints all over.. and i agree the music is a bit, ..unfortunate.

It's neat to check out all the small details of each figure. I think the guy next to Mary (not the old man with the knife) must be hungry. He's got something clutched in one hand, and is reaching toward an empty plate with the other.

Italian musician uncovers hidden music in Da Vinci's 'Last Supper'

ROME, Italy (AP) -- It's a new Da Vinci code, but this time it could be for real.

A laptop screen shows musical notes encoded in Leonardo Da Vinci's "Last Supper."

An Italian musician and computer technician claims to have uncovered musical notes encoded in Leonardo Da Vinci's "Last Supper," raising the possibility that the Renaissance genius might have left behind a somber composition to accompany the scene depicted in the 15th-century wall painting.

"It sounds like a requiem," Giovanni Maria Pala said. "It's like a soundtrack that emphasizes the passion of Jesus."

Painted from 1494 to 1498 in Milan's Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, the "Last Supper" vividly depicts a key moment in the Gospel narrative: Jesus' last meal with the 12 Apostles before his arrest and crucifixion, and the shock of Christ's followers as they learn that one of them is about to betray him.

Pala, a 45-year-old musician who lives near the southern Italian city of Lecce, began studying Leonardo's painting in 2003, after hearing on a news program that researchers believed the artist and inventor had hidden a musical composition in the work.

"Afterward, I didn't hear anything more about it," he said in an interview with The Associated Press. "As a musician, I wanted to dig deeper."

In a book released Friday in Italy, Pala explains how he took elements of the painting that have symbolic value in Christian theology and interpreted them as musical clues.

Pala first saw that by drawing the five lines of a musical staff across the painting, the loaves of bread on the table as well as the hands of Jesus and the Apostles could each represent a musical note.

This fit the relation in Christian symbolism between the bread, representing the body of Christ, and the hands, which are used to bless the food, he said. But the notes made no sense musically until Pala realized that the score had to be read from right to left, following Leonardo's particular writing style.

In his book -- "La Musica Celata" ("The Hidden Music") -- Pala also describes how he found what he says are other clues in the painting that reveal the slow rhythm of the composition and the duration of each note.

The result is a 40-second "hymn to God" that Pala said sounds best on a pipe organ, the instrument most commonly used in Leonardo's time for spiritual music. A short segment taken from a CD of the piece contained a Bach-like passage played on the organ. The tempo was almost painfully slow but musical.

Alessandro Vezzosi, a Leonardo expert and the director of a museum dedicated to the artist in his hometown of Vinci, said he had not seen Pala's research but that the musician's hypothesis "is plausible."

Vezzosi said previous research has indicated the hands of the Apostles in the painting can be substituted with the notes of a Gregorian chant, though so far no one had tried to work in the bread loaves.

"There's always a risk of seeing something that is not there, but it's certain that the spaces [in the painting] are divided harmonically," he told the AP. "Where you have harmonic proportions, you can find music."

Vezzosi also noted that though Leonardo was more noted for his paintings, sculptures and visionary inventions, he was also a musician. Da Vinci played the lyre and designed various instruments. His writings include some musical riddles, which must be read from right to left.

Reinterpretations of the "Last Supper" have popped up ever since "The Da Vinci Code" fascinated readers and movie-goers with suggestions that one of the apostles sitting on Jesus' right is Mary Magdalene, that the two had a child and that their bloodline continues.

Pala stressed that his discovery does not reveal any supposed dark secrets of the Catholic Church or of Leonardo, but instead shows the artist in a light far removed from the conspiratorial descriptions found in fiction.

"A new figure emerges -- he wasn't a heretic like some believe," Pala said. "What emerges is a man who believes, a man who really believes in God."

Back
Top Bottom