Sean Penn bugs the hell out of me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
sean-penn.jpg

The more I think about it, the most I realize that there probably isn't another critically acclaimed "dramatic" actor working today that bugs the hell out of me as much as this fella.

It's everything really. His acting. His attitude. His choice of roles. His interviews. His public appearances and political activist bullshit.

And most of all his face. It just perfectly fits everything I hate about him.

SeanPenn.jpg

"But I'm never again going to do a movie as an actor where I'm enjoying myself. It's not fun, and it doesn't have to be." - Sean Penn

You say so? Douche.

Maybe it's this attitude that fuels his annoying-as-an-ass-full-of-mosquitos over acted "serious" roles.

"I think it's much more important to direct movies but if it's going to take five years between each one then I'll have to make up for that..."

...by making slow, boring, pretentious wank-fest films.

That last bit was me, by the way.

440wde_SeanPenn_CNN_6.jpg

"If there's anything disgusting in the movie business, it is the whoredom of my peers. "

From the same man who said:

"I love acting, truly my favorite people are actors. "

Douche.

002424_14.jpg

MOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!

"There are a few directors around who I have some excitement about spending my $7 at the theatre watching their movies."

My favorite part of this man's career is just listening to him speak and reading interviews. I've never seen a more arrogant A-list actor who tries to put himself is such a role of martyrdom.

Team%20America%20-%20Sean%20Penn.jpg

"So, if you're an artist who is in it just for the money (or the little gold statuettes...:der: ), I would be against you."

But seriously. I can't stand watching this man in the movies. I was watching Calito's Way last night, and I couldn't get past my extreme desire for his character to get shot in the fucking mouth.

Same goes for Mystic River.

And The Game.

And 21 Grams.

And The Interpreter.

And All The Kings Men.

And...well, you get the idea.

Interesting, his least annoying performance was in Fast Times.

That said, I haven't seen all of his films. He has a lot of them. But you know what? I really don't want to. I'm not a masochist.

Sean%20Penn.jpg

:barf:

Penn_Ad.jpg

"Yeah, I had actually tried to stop acting before I made Dead Man Walking."

Damn. So close.

seanpenn.jpg

Ughh.

I wish.

Last edited:
He usually doesn't bug me all that much, but at the end of Spike Lee's "When the Levees Broke," all the people who had been interviewed stated their names.

There was something about the smug, self-satisfied way he said "Sean Penn. Actor." that made me want to punch him.

I just think he takes himself way too seriously. When Chris Rock hosted the Oscars all those years ago (seems like it anyway) and made fun of Jude Law being in nearly every movie out (which felt true for a while), Sean Penn's response was so smug and arrogant. "Jude Law is one of our most gifted actors." Whatever, dude, it was a joke. And who's running to defend Jude Law's talent or choice in roles? Honestly.

dsmith2904 said:
I just think he takes himself way too seriously. When Chris Rock hosted the Oscars all those years ago (seems like it anyway) and made fun of Jude Law being in nearly every movie out (which felt true for a while), Sean Penn's response was so smug and arrogant. "Jude Law is one of our most gifted actors." Whatever, dude, it was a joke. And who's running to defend Jude Law's talent or choice in roles? Honestly.

A shining Penn moment. Way to be a jackass, Sean. :up: Love ya.

I can understand taking on more serious roles later in a career, look at Bill Murray for example, but to try and brush off being Spicoli is simply barbaric.

barbaric.

BARBARIC!

I know what you mean about him being overserious and sort of humorless sometimes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a somewhat different persona off camera.

Anyway, a LOT of people consider the guy to be the best actor of his generation.

I have a certain amount of respect for his work, and can't really agree with the majority of the initial post, but I do think his Oscar for Mystic River was undeserved. Totally over-the-top histrionics. Ironically, he was much better (and more understated) in 21 Grams, which came out the same year. I enjoy his "mellower" roles more than the spazzy ones.

Lance, you failed to mention Dead Man Walking, and I don't know if you saw that one, but I'd find it hard to imagine denying him that one. Probably his finest work, and had Nicholas Cage not done Leaving Las Vegas that year (and equally great perf), he would have won his Oscar for something a bit more legit.

Also, I'd ike to add that although he definitely comes off as arrogant, it takes a lot of balls to be as politically outspoken (and INVOLVED) as Penn is, opening yourself to all sorts of criticism, when he could easily sit on the sidelines, saying and doing nothing. He should be commended for that even if you don't like what he says. That he was accused of helping out after Hurricane Katrina as a publicity stunt was totally shameful (not that you mentioned this incident).

You did include a picture from the organization "California Conservative", and I have to ask, do you swing to the right politically, and is that affecting your opinion of him? Not that you can't be a liberal and dislike the guy at the same time.

I guess I should admit that the original post was fairly tongue-in-cheek, like a lot of my more "extremist" posts.

I haven't seen Dead Man Walking, thoug I likely will some day. We'll see. But I must say, I don't think the man's a bad actor. I certainly don't think he's amazing, or one of the best of his generation, but I can't really fault him too much. I do think he's a sub-par director though.

But as I've said, my biggest problem with the man is just his personality and the way he presents himself. I just don't like him. And I really don't care too much about what it is he's actually saying when it comes to politics, I'm not a very political person at all, but I don't care for the hows or whens he chooses to say it.

From the looks of it I'm in the minority, but I freakin love Sean Penn, I find him to be an incredible actor and (at least for the last 10 years), I've pretty enjoyed all his movies and performances he's been in. It sucks that everyone seems to hate him so badly, I agree he's much too vocal on his politics that it has to overshadow his job. Hence being a guest on Real Time with Bill Maher & Colbert Report.
I can't stand going to the messageboard on imdb cause it's only used for people to talk about how much they hate him or how it was Sean's karma that his brother Chris died. Yikes!

21 grams, Sweet and Lowdown, Assassination of Richard Nixon, State of Grace, Dead Man Walking, U Turn, Thin Red Line, Mystic River, The Game etc
:love:

elevation2u said:
From the looks of it I'm in the minority, but I freakin love Sean Penn, I find him to be an incredible actor and (at least for the last 10 years), I've pretty enjoyed all his movies and performances he's been in. It sucks that everyone seems to hate him so badly, I agree he's much too vocal on his politics that it has to overshadow his job. Hence being a guest on Real Time with Bill Maher & Colbert Report.
I can't stand going to the messageboard on imdb cause it's only used for people to talk about how much they hate him or how it was Sean's karma that his brother Chris died. Yikes!

21 grams, Sweet and Lowdown, Assassination of Richard Nixon, State of Grace, Dead Man Walking, U Turn, Thin Red Line, Mystic River, The Game etc
:love:

Ditto.

I concur with elevation2u & NSW. Sean Penn was on my list of favorite actors as well. If you haven't seen 'Dead Man Walking', you need to! He should have won the Oscar that year for it. I didn't care for Nicholas Cage so much :shrug:
I do agree that the Mystic River Oscar win was more of a cumulative one. I do like many of his performances, including I Am Sam, which somehow always gets slammed. Or maybe it's because of the type of roll. :shrug:

133_213874459_sp25_H215004_L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom