Scott Walker's(U2 adores him) new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
I haven't been here at ol Interference in ages, because I've been kidnapped by the music and online forums of Scott Walker. I was even a columnist here but Walker caused me to kind of flake on that.

Anyway, Walker, who by the way is THE GREATEST SINGER AND WRITER IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED MUSIC, has just released his first album in over a decade, and only the 2nd in the last 25 years. Yeah, he's a reclusive- hermit- cult -hero but his new disc "The Drift" is unlike you HAVE OR EVER WILL HEAR!!! Trust me.

Just thought I'd mention it since U2 are(were) big fans of his! I mean "City of Blinding Lights" working title was "Scott Walker".

(There's also a documentary of him due out later this year called "30 Century Man", which follow him in the studio for the FIRST TIME EVER and conduct only his 3rd sit-down interview 32 years.)

Still love ya U2! Sorry I been gone so long!

"When the night has no end... and the day yet to begin... as the room spins around...I need your love"

thanks for clarifying that u2 adores him... no way i'd ever check out a band otherwise.

MrBrau1 said:
Tried him.

Didn't like him.
thats too bad....but i should mention where to start...cause Scott has 2 periods...his early "poppier" stuff from the late 60's and early to mid 70's and then his later avant-garde, experimental, mimimalist-drone, post rock, what-planet-is-this-from music.

Me, I started with 1995's ground-breaking masterpiece "Tilt". It forever altered my muscial consciene and utterly obliterated any prior and since notions of what music is. Might be a bad start for you though because I'm a little sick in the head, but it could change your life.

Or you could go the nautral route, and start with his early stuff and work your way up. But that could scare you too!!!

Or I could have the moderators remove this thread and we could forget the whole thing. Sometimes, myself and other Scott Walker fans like to keep his music to ourselves, because sometimes, no matter how much good word-of-mouth you spread, there are people who will just never get it. None of my friends do.

Zoomerang96 said:
thanks for clarifying that u2 adores him... no way i'd ever check out a band otherwise.
I see Thom Yorke is your pic thingy....yeah Radiohead adores Scott MORE THAN ANYTHING OR ANYONE ELSE ON EARTH(cept for me maybe) and there also Scott walker favorite band in return.

I've heard one of the tracks from the new album. Cant remember the title, got it from Insound's mp3 section. Anyways, it was quite interesting and dark sounding which I like....truthfully though I'm not a huge fan of his voice in it. This new album has certainly gotten a number of good reviews though, I have it written down on a list of things to look into.

EDIT: The song is 'Cossacks Are'.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
I've heard one of the tracks from the new album. Cant remember the title, got it from Insound's mp3 section. Anyways, it was quite interesting and dark sounding which I like....truthfully though I'm not a huge fan of his voice in it. This new album has certainly gotten a number of good reviews though, I have it written down on a list of things to look into.

EDIT: The song is 'Cossacks Are'.

Look, I'm only replying for your own good......DON'T LOOK INTO the NEW ALBUM. If you're not familiar with Scott...HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE place to start. I'm suprised "Cossacks Are" didn't send you SPRINTING for mommy....("that's a nice suit...that's a swanky suit")..hehehe!
In fact, if this thread goes much further, I'll probably ask the mod to KILL IT!

Just seeing you say "truthfully though I'm not a huge fan of his voice in it" made me wish I had never posted this.

Taste is personal....but my friend, that man truly posseses the most gifted voice I've EVER heard. The richest, smoothest, bariton -croon that God EVER put his finger on. Though it's not as perfect(only the die-hards can tell though) as it used to be and his songs these days rarely contain anythiNg even remotely close to what you call "conventional melodies" it's still INCREDIBLE!

You want GORGEUOUS and INFECTIOUS melodies form Scott....go back to his early stuff...late 60's. Start with "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" from his Walker Brothers days. Then try songs like "Montague Terrace" "Jackie" "Such a Small Love" and "Rhymes of Goodbye".

This is the best advice I can give probably.

fact is, linking him to u2 pretty much kills any interest i would have had in listening to him.

then mofo came in and half-heartedly recommended him, so that kinda piqued my interest.

then you came back and jumped all over him for wanting to try out the album that you called "unlike you HAVE OR EVER WILL HEAR!!!"

wtf?

so now we're back to u2's recommendation, which isn't really a ringing endorsement in my books.
LastEdgeOnEarth said:
In fact, if this thread goes much further, I'll probably ask the mod to KILL IT!
:happy:

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
Coming back here was a mistake...

or at least mentioning music other than U2 was.

Forgive my transgressions.

The only mistakes were not having a clue as to whom your audiece here is, and to not spend a second reading what they actually wrote before flipping out. I'm a marginal U2 fan at best, and listen to about 3 of their songs in a month's period on average. Most people here in this section of Interference are on average the same, it's a section for music OTHER than U2. I was trying to actually contribute something to the conversation about the album and you jumped all over my back for saying I didn't love the guy's voice. I never even said I disliked it, I just said I wasn't a huge fan of it on that one song. You have absolutely no clue what kind of music I like, nor do you have any right to jump down someone's throat because they have differing tastes. I actually said I'm interested in the album and more or less liked the one song I've heard and you gave me crap for it.

Weak, extremely weak.

Really, LastEdgeOnEarth, there was absolutely no need to respond to u2popmofo like that. Especially when he showed some interest in the topic. Maybe you SHOULD ask a mod to close this thread.

PS: Referring to singers as being touched by god is never a good idea either.

lmjhitman said:
fact is, linking him to u2 pretty much kills any interest i would have had in listening to him.

then mofo came in and half-heartedly recommended him, so that kinda piqued my interest.

then you came back and jumped all over him for wanting to try out the album that you called "unlike you HAVE OR EVER WILL HEAR!!!"

wtf?

so now we're back to u2's recommendation, which isn't really a ringing endorsement in my books.

:happy:

Wow, that's a pretty nice summary of my experience with this thread, lol.

All the capital letters kind of put me off, too.

That said, I'm going to check him out simply because I'm fascinated by the fact that he's been around so long and I don't know anything about him and u2popmofo's opinion carries a lot of weight in here. And he didn't say anything even remotely negative so LastEdgeOnEarth you might consider chilling a bit.

Sorry, just saw GibsonGirl's post--didn't mean to beat a dead horse.

GibsonGirl said:
PS: Referring to singers as being touched by god is never a good idea either.

Unless it's Bono of course. :wink:

U2 will praise just about anyone. They are fans of some really great artists, but other times their taste leaves something to be desired. I think that's why some of us are skeptical when U2 liking an artist is cited as a reason for them being any good. C'mon, Bono praised Mariah Carey and Gwen Stefani at the Grammys!

Bono's shades said:
U2 will praise just about anyone. They are fans of some really great artists, but other times their taste leaves something to be desired. I think that's why some of us are skeptical when U2 liking an artist is cited as a reason for them being any good. C'mon, Bono praised Mariah Carey and Gwen Stefani at the Grammys!

I think they often praise the artist because they know and like the person. I don't see this as a negative--just that they're generous; they know their opinion is powerful and they're supportive of other artists in general. But you're right, I'm on to this, as are many fans, and generally take their musical recommendations with a grain of salt.

joyfulgirl said:

I think they often praise the artist because they know and like the person. I don't see this as a negative--just that they're generous; they know their opinion is powerful and they're supportive of other artists in general. But you're right, I'm on to this, as are many fans, and generally take their musical recommendations with a grain of salt.

I agree. I'd rather have U2 be generous and praise other artists, even ones I think are kind of crappy, than diss them publicly and look like jerks. That doesn't mean I'm going to agree with their assessment, however.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
I see Thom Yorke is your pic thingy....yeah Radiohead adores Scott MORE THAN ANYTHING OR ANYONE ELSE ON EARTH(cept for me maybe) and there also Scott walker favorite band in return.

:confused: :huh: :confused:

this thread is terrifying.

I think you need to join a Scott Walker forum.

but, uh, I'll check him out some time??

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
Coming back here was a mistake...

or at least mentioning music other than U2 was.

Forgive my transgressions.

Where the hell does this come from? Because no one came in here and bowed down like you do?

This forum is full of 100s of other artist that aren't U2, so your "other than U2" line is uncalled for.

That being said, I've given Scott a chance and just can't get past his voice, it irritates me.

LastEdgeOnEarth -- a little advice for ya:

Obviously you really like this guy's music and for you, he is the ultimate cat's whiskers. However, if you want anyone to take you seriously when you talk about him, you need to be enthusiastic, but not sickeningly enthusiastic. Over-hyping a band or musician is one of the fastest ways to turn off potential fans. Trust me on that.

I recently read a fan's album review for a band I adore more than any other band. I love the album which was reviewed too. However, the review was so completely over the top it made me gag. There is no way in hell I would point potential fans to that review -- it's so overzealous that it's a turn off. And to be very blunt, your posts here on Scott Walker made that review look tame.

Realise that not everyone will like or "get" the same music, but some might. Don't try to get everyone...you post info about an artist you like on this forum and you might get a few people to check him out. Of those, one or two might become fans. That's actually not bad. Just because not everyone will "get" it is no reason not to post.

Last point -- when someone tells you he/she likes one of the artist's songs, do not tell him/her it's a horrible choice (especially not five times in all caps :huh: ). Liking a song by an artist you like and are promoting is a good thing. Don't knock it, work with it!

Last edited:
Wow, I was totally going to check out this guy until you completely flipped out. Now I won't even consider it. I can't imagine an artist who attracts fans like this. Good going LastEdgeOnEarth, you just turned off a potential fan. I'm sure Jesu...uh, I mean Scott Walker appreciates that.

Lancemc said:
Wow, I was totally going to check out this guy until you completely flipped out. Now I won't even consider it. I can't imagine an artist who attracts fans like this. Good going LastEdgeOnEarth, you just turned off a potential fan. I'm sure Jesu...uh, I mean Scott Walker appreciates that.

I wouldn't go that far. It means you just did the same thing -- over-reacting to someone else. :huh:

If you think you might like the guy, check him out. After all you don't need to love all his fans.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Sometimes, myself and other Scott Walker fans like to keep his music to ourselves, because sometimes, no matter how much good word-of-mouth you spread, there are people who will just never get it. None of my friends do.

I had Christina Aguillera fan tell me the same thing the other day.

LastEdgeOnEarth are you Katie? If so, you left your pink toe sox at my sisters house.

Lancemc said:

Hate to tell ya, but the joke's on you....Scott Walker doesn't care.

I need to clarify a few things. I never JUMPED all over anybody or flipped out. I may get a little carried away with ENTHUSIASM but thats all. Your favorites do that at times to all of you folks as well I'm sure. So sorry for getting excited....when the one dude said he heard one of the new album, it sounded like it was the first he ever heard of him which scared me.I saw all these replies from people who never heard of him, when I was expecting everyone to say "sweet, been waiting for this!". Thats why I regretted posting this, because I saw where this thread was headed fast, And I was right. Maybe I didn't help it much though, so let me start again....

I don't what you folks listen too outside of U2 maybe, but if you're not familiar with Walker and delved right into this album, you would for all intents and purposes HATE IT. I assumed there were more people at this forum familiar with Walker, based on the fact that U2 have been fans of his since the early 80's. This thread was meant for Scott Walker enthusiasts or at least people who know his later, avant-garde stuff. But if you're curious and enjoy taking chances on new music, then let me try to help you.

If you really are interested in his new album, then please listen to his 1995 album "Tilt" first. It's the only way you'll be able to even begin appreciating the new album. This is truly music from another galaxy. The words, the melodies(if you can find any), the soundscapes, the production. It's like a real bad nightmare, at least that's how Walker describes it). One you might not want to go near again if you don't listen to some stuff off "Tilt" first.

If you have never listened to any music outside of three chords and the big hook, then go away and come back when you have. If you think because you listen to "Coldplay" and "Keane" or "Mogwai" or "The Arcade Fire" that you are ready for anything, think again. Because you woudn't be ready for Scott Walker.

Start with Tilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom