Scattered Islands in the Indian Ocean Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, U-Wen, you still about? I've been meaning to ask you for a while - are you doing anything on the 31st of October? Because Skipping Girl Vinegar are having their album launch at the Corner Hotel. Ali and I should be going. You in? Tickets are around $10-15, I forget exactly. $12, perhaps.

Hey, U-Wen, you still about? I've been meaning to ask you for a while - are you doing anything on the 31st of October? Because Skipping Girl Vinegar are having their album launch at the Corner Hotel. Ali and I should be going. You in? Tickets are around $10-15, I forget exactly. $12, perhaps.

You're right, they are, aren't they. Count me in then!

Where's the Corner Hotel exactly?

And I went to buy their album at JB the other day - $27! Couldn't afford it when I went.

You're right, they are, aren't they. Count me in then!

Where's the Corner Hotel exactly?

And I went to buy their album at JB the other day - $27! Couldn't afford it when I went.

Awesomeness. :up:

It's in Richmond by the railway station. Very easily accessed. Ali mentioned something about her flatmates might want to see the gig too, so once I've got precise numbers, I'll get tickets organised.

Hope the album's cheaper at the gig ... should be. I'm worried about how much Red Rocks is going to cost.

Hey Reggo! How goes it? :wave:
Good. Bewildered. Listened to ATYCLB this weekend. Enjoyed...most of it. Wild Honey and New York still have no place on any album anywhere ever, but I enjoyed it. Going to grab my iPod for Zoots' list. Also, I've got my theme, title, and artwork for DI VI ready...I just need my tracks, :lol:

Yourself?

Last edited:
Good. Bewildered. Listened to ATYCLB this weekend. Enjoyed...most of it. Wild Honey and New York still have no place on any album anywhere ever, but I enjoyed it. Going to grab my iPod for Zoots' list. Also, I've got my theme, title, and artwork for DI VI ready...I just need my tracks, :lol:

Yourself?

You ... enjoyed ... ATYCLB?! And I must say, I think tracks like New York and Wild Honey slay dross like Stuck and In A Little While.

I'm trying to plow through the essay from hell. :sigh:

Awesomeness. :up:

It's in Richmond by the railway station. Very easily accessed. Ali mentioned something about her flatmates might want to see the gig too, so once I've got precise numbers, I'll get tickets organised.

Hope the album's cheaper at the gig ... should be. I'm worried about how much Red Rocks is going to cost.

Sounds good to me. Count me in, then.

I'm hoping Red Rocks sticks to under $50... :\

Essays, FTL :down:

Yes, I enjoyed ATYCLB. Didn't think I would. Found myself belting out Elevation and Walk On. I felt like stabbing Bono in the eyeballs halfway through Peace On Earth, though. :shrug:

:lol: I thought I was putting in U218 in my car Saturday night, but...riffs(!) came through the speakers and a drums time signature that was not 4/4! I was confused. I began to wonder if my CD player was playing U2 backwards or something...then Steven Tyler's voice came on and I realised it was my Aerosmith CD. I was thinking I was crazy for a while there.

Sounds good to me. Count me in, then.

I'm hoping Red Rocks sticks to under $50... :\

Fantastic. I'll let you know when I go to buy tickets.

I hope so too. Ali and I have spoken about ordering it in from Amazon. Not sure what she's decided, but if it works out cheaper, I'm not desperate to have it in my hands immediately.

Essays, FTL :down:

Yes, I enjoyed ATYCLB. Didn't think I would. Found myself belting out Elevation and Walk On. I felt like stabbing Bono in the eyeballs halfway through Peace On Earth, though. :shrug:

:lol: I thought I was putting in U218 in my car Saturday night, but...riffs(!) came through the speakers and a drums time signature that was not 4/4! I was confused. I began to wonder if my CD player was playing U2 backwards or something...then Steven Tyler's voice came on and I realised it was my Aerosmith CD. I was thinking I was crazy for a while there.

:lmao: That's classic. I love how the two songs Larry doesn't play in 4/4 are in time signatures rather close to it anyway - Drowning Man in 2/4 and Love Is Blindness in 6/8.

And wow, Elevation? I can see that live, but the studio version ... bleh. Walk On, though, I quite like, even if I do consider it mildly a guilty pleasure nowadays.

In the last thread, we actually ranked ATYCLB's tracks. Mine went something like this:

1. TGBHF
2. WILATW
3. Walk On
4. Kite
5. Grace
6. Beautiful Day
7. New York
8. Wild Honey
9. Peace On Earth
10. Elevation
11. Stuck In A Moment
12. In A Little While

Reads like Larry's journal. :wink:

:lmao:!

I need sleep. Seeing as it's (temporarily) holidays, you will all be seeing me again soon! :wave:

Heh, these are less holidays for me and more inundation by essays without the bother of having to go to/skip classes.

See you later! :wave:

Bye, Maj! :wave:

Those are the ONLY two? Jeez. Maybe that's why they stopped working with Rick Rubin. Cause I can bet you there was a session that went something like this.

Edge, Adam, Larry: *play a new song*
Rick: Okay, let's do it again, only this time, play it a little faster.
Edge, Adam: *play faster*
Larry: *plays the same speed as before*
Rick: O...kay. Larry, did you not hear me?
Larry: Sorry. Let's try it again.
Rick: Okay.
Adam: *plays faster*
Edge: *plays normal speed*
Larry: *plays slower*
Rick: :banghead:

Bye, Maj! :wave:

Those are the ONLY two? Jeez. Maybe that's why they stopped working with Rick Rubin. Cause I can bet you there was a session that went something like this.

Edge, Adam, Larry: *play a new song*
Rick: Okay, let's do it again, only this time, play it a little faster.
Edge, Adam: *play faster*
Larry: *plays the same speed as before*
Rick: O...kay. Larry, did you not hear me?
Larry: Sorry. Let's try it again.
Rick: Okay.
Adam: *plays faster*
Edge: *plays normal speed*
Larry: *plays slower*
Rick: :banghead:

:lmao: That seems worryingly realistic.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure those are the only two fully not in 4/4. Apparently the first couple of bars of Wild Honey aren't in 4/4, or so I'm told, but I can't say I'm 100% or even 75% sure there. And chances are, they're only not in 4/4 because Larry was fumbling around ...

You know what else is worryingly realistic?

New Drum tech: *setting up Larry's drums, tests the hi-hat foot pedal*
Larry: Hey! What'd you do to my drums? Why'd it make that noise?
Drum tech: What noise?
Larry: That hissing sound.
Drum tech: Oh, this? *presses foot pedal*
Larry: Yeah.
Drum tech: It's your foot pedal. This is how you're supposed to play them.
Larry: Well, I don't.
Drum tech: ...okay. *adjusts hi-hats so they're closed* Incidentally, why DON'T you play them like that?
Larry: Well, my right foot's already busy with the kick drum. You can't expect me to also be using my left foot for something.
Drum tech: Apparently not, sir.

You know what else is worryingly realistic?

New Drum tech: *setting up Larry's drums, tests the hi-hat foot pedal*
Larry: Hey! What'd you do to my drums? Why'd it make that noise?
Drum tech: What noise?
Larry: That hissing sound.
Drum tech: Oh, this? *presses foot pedal*
Larry: Yeah.
Drum tech: It's your foot pedal. This is how you're supposed to play them.
Larry: Well, I don't.
Drum tech: ...okay. *adjusts hi-hats so they're closed* Incidentally, why DON'T you play them like that?
Larry: Well, my right foot's already busy with the kick drum. You can't expect me to also be using my left foot for something.
Drum tech: Apparently not, sir.

:lmao:

What impresses me is that through all these years, he's actually stuck with two drumsticks. You'd think he'd find it a superfluous waste and just go down to one, since that's all he really needs. But no, not our Larry! Look at his dedication!

:applaud: What a trooper.

Is it bad that I want to give him just a tiny bit of speed before every concert and see what happens?

Think of it, Lars on speed. Conversely then we must put the hyper Bono on some sort of narcotic or barbiturate. Slow him down so he's not thinking too fast and forgetting lyrics. edge gets psychedelic drugs. And Adam gets sit back and watch teh show. Maybe smoke a fatty if he wants to, but it's not required.

Think of it, Lars on speed. Conversely then we must put the hyper Bono on some sort of narcotic or barbiturate. Slow him down so he's not thinking too fast and forgetting lyrics. edge gets psychedelic drugs. And Adam gets sit back and watch teh show. Maybe smoke a fatty if he wants to, but it's not required.

Adam will probably just be pissing himself laughing at the n00bs. As I imagine he was around about the late 1980s or early 1990s too. A slowed down Bono will probably just sit down on the stage and stare at the crowd with a grin on his face, as if to say "yeah ... I'm Bono ... yeah ... I got sunglasses", because he's an egotistical fuckknob. And Edge playing psychedelic guitar would just confuse Larry, whether he's on anything or not.

Adam will probably just be pissing himself laughing at the n00bs. As I imagine he was around about the late 1980s or early 1990s too. A slowed down Bono will probably just sit down on the stage and stare at the crowd with a grin on his face, as if to say "yeah ... I'm Bono ... yeah ... I got sunglasses", because he's an egotistical fuckknob. And Edge playing psychedelic guitar would just confuse Larry, whether he's on anything or not.
:hmm: Good point about the psychedelic guitar. Okay, Edge gets nothing, He gets to laugh with Adam. Maybe instead of narcotics, we just give Bono ADHD drugs.

:hmm: Good point about the psychedelic guitar. Okay, Edge gets nothing, He gets to laugh with Adam. Maybe instead of narcotics, we just give Bono ADHD drugs.

One suspects the show would end in such shambles that after the show, Bono and Larry will part ways with Edge and Adam.

And all will be right with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom