Saul Williams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
i did a search, and all i found was a skeek thread from a couple years ago, plus a few mentions in list of such and such threads.

this guy is awesome.

Indeed. I love "List of Demands (Reparations)" and "Black Stacey" but I haven't had the money to go out and buy his whole album. Do you have it? Is it worth $15?

i did buy the cd. i think it was worth it, even though it's not really the kind of music i listen to too much. he opened for nine inch nails when they were here last week, prior to that i'd never heard of him. if i had had any cash on me at that show, i would have bought the cd then. he kicked serious ass live.

list of demands (reparations)" and "black stacey" rule. :up:

"grippo," "telegram," and "act III scene 2 (shakespeare)" are pretty awesome, too.

That's a pretty strong endorsement. I'll add it to the list next time I go to the record store.

I would have loved to have seen him live. I bet he's quite the performer. He was a guest on Subterranean a while ago, and I was so impressed with everything he said in the interview.

And......5000 posts. Finally. Giddy up.

i managed to pry with teeth out of my cd player and listen to the saul williams album a few times today. there are definitely a couple tracks i don't like much, but yeah, it definitely rules.

HeartlandGirl said:

And......5000 posts. Finally. Giddy up.

:happy:

funnyhorse.jpg

Cue the trumpets!

HeartlandGirl said:
Oh. My. God.

:uhoh:

:lmao:

Did you draw that??? What the...? I'm truly speechless.

:up:

i think he's trying to tell you that he finally learned how to set the timer on his digital camera :cute:

IWasBored said:

i think he's trying to tell you that he finally learned how to set the timer on his digital camera :cute:

:lol:

Damn, that's funny. The only thing missing is the pony holding a cream soda and giving the thumbs up. Or hoof's up. :sexywink:

Just heard Black Stacey on internet radio. Will check out some more Saul based on IWB recommendation. Thanks.

skeek threads are wicked yo.

Saul Williams is sweet. His albums are a bit patchy. They are good, but they don't get across all he has to offer at all. check out his track on the new coldcut cd 'mr nichols' if you get a chance. And check out his bit on Release by Blackalicious.. sublime. Here's what I wrote on seeing him live last fall:

But how can you even talk about lyricism in comparison to Saul fucking Williams? This dude… this dude. wow. He really is a poet. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on stage with quite that much conviction and sincerity. Slow songs, thumping songs. Standing still, the crowd enraptured. Dancing around manically, the crowd pumping. During one song, the beats cut out and it was just Saul a capella, and then he lowered the mic and it was just his unamplified voice twisting and bending words like nothing else. He was in fact perhaps at his most powerful a capella, but the raucous grimy beats were a necessary and pretty sweet counterpoint. Saul was pretty much like a preacher a lot of the time, and thankfully his messages were definitley ones I’d agree with. If not, by the end of the show I’d probably be convinced. It was obvious he himself stood behind his words 100%.

This show certainly taught me some things, or rather reinforced them in a boot-to-the-head sort of fashion: people who think hip-hop is not a completely profound method of self-expression, and those that think music shouldn’t be political are completely wrong and should have terrible things done to them if they refuse to change their opinion after being asked nicely.

Back
Top Bottom