Sammy Sosa Ejected After Bat Found to be Corked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sosabat.jpg

sosabat2.jpg

sosabat3.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/06/03/sosa_ejected_ap/

Caught with cork

One of baseball's biggest stars finds himself in a big jam. Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa, who has only six homers in a frustrating 2003 season, was ejected for using a corked bat against the Devil Rays on Tuesday after his bat shattered on a first-inning grounder. Crew chief Tim McClelland -- who tossed George Brett in the infamous Pine Tar Game nearly 20 years ago -- confiscated the illegal bat and ejected Sosa, who now faces a suspension.

he says he only used it for batting practice to put on a show for the fans. he cant hit homers in batting practice with a real bat? after the past homerun derbies you kind of know he used that bat for them as well, that guy was always a jackass

I thought they just juiced the balls... looks like it's the bats too. For shame.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
sosa says that he only uses the bat from batting practice and home run competitions... ummm... yeah... surrrrre sammy. like you wouldn't have some sort of marking on the bat to tell it apart from the other ones, you know, seeing how it's illegal to use and all.

not only should there be markings on there, but when you pick up a corked bat you can feel that it is noticeably lighter

maybe he just thought he took a little more of the steroid juice before the game and thats why it felt lighter

I think hes guilty here, the whole, "picked up the wrong bat" line is crap. But, to his credit, i doubt he used a corker in previous seasons, he would have been found out by now.....

i hope you're right. unfortunately the question will now always be there. he totally screwed himself.

you don't shake something like this

espn radio made a good point this morning... when the nfl first started doing random steroid tests, it was reported that some of the game's biggest stars tested positive... the results were never made public, and everyone was found to be "clean," because the nfl couldn't afford a scandle like that. the same thing's gonna happen with sammy's bats. even if they found cork in another one, they couldn't possiably have major league baseball's most marketable star, a 500+ homerun hitter, have all of his accomplishments tainted

if you are gonna cheat you arent gonna make a lot of corked bats, it would just be easier to catch you. and like headache said, baseball wants this to go away as quick as possible, so they will do everything they can to help thta along.

physics people dont say corked bats help much, but baseball players that have tried them say they help a lot, so i will trust the baseball players that actually have hit with them.

i dont think sammy has used a corked bat too much, but i guarentee you he has used them in the past few home run derbies, and thats pretty sad in itslef.

Top10 Sammy Sosa Explanations
10. My mind was clouded by the anabolic steroids.
9. Damn Al-Qaeda
8. I may be a strong guy, but those bats is heavy
7. I wanted to catch the premiere of "American Juniors"-- man those kids can sing!
6. Hans Blix checked my bat for three months without finding any cork
5. Wanted to do something to take the heat off my girlfriend, Martha Stewart
4. Threat of rain necessitated more buoyant bat
3. If you hit homeruns you get paid $20 million a year, dumb ass
2. I was Punk'd
1. Pete Rose bet me I wouldn't do it

davelet.gif

Last edited:
Ugh, I'm so sick of this Corked Bat thing, being a Chicago person myself (Yes, I'm a fan of the Cubs, but just a little). I think that Sosa just did(n't) something wrong, but it's one of those wrongs that was accidental. But I do agree with zonelistener, Sosa should be a saint, it would be a blessing to All Chicago Cubs fans (mainly the ones in Chicago, but all over the world would be fine too).

:mad:

:censored:

:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom