Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, Quebec Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
So far, we've visited:

- Pop Survivor Round One
- Australia Discotheque style
- EBTTRT
- IAMJ
- TCATT
- POTDB
- EYKIW/Liechtenstein
- AIWIU2
- Australia
- Djibouti
- Te Urewera National Park
- Inaccessible Island
- Lodgepole, Nebraska
- Bangaluru, which was Bangin'
- Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotameteaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenakitanatahu
- Territorial Collectivity of Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Ouagadougou
- Dominican Republic
- Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen
- Fernando de Noronha
- Kyzyl, aka Fuck Vowels
- Torquay, aka Fawlty Towers
- Bill, Wyoming
- Fenway Park
- Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic
- Vrbno pod Pradědem
- Unalaska, Alaska
- Sexy Peak, Idaho
- Fucking, Austria
- Wittenoom, Western Australia
- Hell, Michigan
- Centralia, Pennsylvania
- Anus, France
- Vagina, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia
- Wetwang, England
- Cunter, Switzerland
- Bastard Township, Ontario
- Useless Loop, Western Australia
- Tea, South Dakota
- Giggleswick, England
- Whakapapa (pronounced "Fuck a Papa"), New Zealand, aka Incest
- Jen's Room, Lamethreadlocation, Geelong
- Twatt, Shetland
- Fingringhoe, Essex
- Blowhard, Victoria
- Orange Free State, South Africa
- Middle Intercourse Island
- Disneyland, Lamethreadlocation, US of Lamerica

Now we move onto Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! in Quebec. Apparently the "Ha! Ha!" refers to an archaic French use of "haha" to refer to an unexpected obstacle, in this case the nearby Lake Témiscouata. Or maybe some cartographer was just having a laugh. The exclamation marks, unfortunately, are not official but a colloquial addition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Louis-du-Ha!_Ha!,_Quebec

PS Andrew's Superthread-making rights have been revoked on order of Axxo and Vazza.

I was hoping to make my first superthread, but I snoozed. :(

Sexstats '92:

Axver 289
phillyfan26 103
KhanadaRhodes 94
the tourist 70
LemonMacPhisto 65
cinnaminson 45
LemonMelon 42
coolian2 40
The Sad Punk 34
mysterious_jen 33
unico 31
Alisaura 24
major_panic 24
Screwtape2 22
RavenBlue 17
Cute Irish Bono 12
DreamOutLoud13 10
bono_man2002 10
RegularBonoFan 8
Dalton 8
onebloodonelife 8
Varitek 5
gluey 1
Mr. BAW 1
Lila64 1
Sicy 1
Diemen 1
Doozer61 1
phanan 1

Axxo did the sort of thing he's good it, racking up nearly 300 pictures of trains/other comments

The Sad Punk said:
Axxo did the sort of thing he's good it, racking up nearly 300 pictures of trains/other comments

Let's get this show on the road with one of the best "right time right place" photos. Yeah, I've shared it before. I don't care!

s640x480

By the way ...

The Sad Punk said:
I was hoping to make my first superthread, but I snoozed. :(

You're not going to pull much of an all-nighter at that rate!

I, uh, don't think any wagons are going to be shunted onto this siding by Dynon Road, North Melbourne in a hurry.

s640x480

I like how you can see the city in the NM shot. Some of your photos remind me of Jeffrey Smart paintings in their subject and composition - and that's a good thing. :drool:

The Sad Punk said:
I like how you can see the city in the NM shot. Some of your photos remind me of Jeffrey Smart paintings in their subject and composition - and that's a good thing. :drool:

Wow, praise for my photos. :ohmy:

Maybe I should invest in a decent camera. I'm thinking of buying a proper video camera, as the video quality on this still digital camera is rather unimpressive.

Axver said:

Wow, praise for my photos. :ohmy:

Maybe I should invest in a decent camera. I'm thinking of buying a proper video camera, as the video quality on this still digital camera is rather unimpressive.

You should definitely think about it, that would add a whole new layer of awesome to your photos.

Did you know I photograph yachts?

Well, I did once anyway, while I was waiting for a train in New Zealand in January. This is at the entrance to the southern arm of Porirua Harbour, some 25 or so minutes north of Wellington.

s640x480

It's almost eerie, you know. My Grandpa was the photographer of the family. Always was. Had the best and latest cameras and everything. When he was in the Tangiwai disaster, part of the reason he was on the train was to photograph and film Mount Ruapehu at night, as he had seen it on an earlier trip and had been captivated by it.

I didn't even have my own digital camera until Christmas last year. My film camera had long since vanished. I've never shown an interest in photography really, at least not until the middle of last year. But the more Grandpa's health declined, the more I found myself using the camera, and ever since he died in early February, I've been photographing all the time. The day he died, I felt compelled to go photograph the sunset (my Desert Island IV tracklist's cover is one of those photos). I now carry my camera on me at all times.

Of course, you only photograph something else while waiting for a train. :wink:

Looks like a really nice place, the hill wouldn't look out of place at Yorke Peninsula.

Further to my last photo, here's all of the southern arm of Porirua Harbour.

This is the view from my father's house. Just amazing.

s640x480

The Sad Punk said:
Of course, you only photograph something else while waiting for a train. :wink:

Looks like a really nice place, the hill wouldn't look out of place at Yorke Peninsula.

:lol: Yeah ... I'd already photographed pretty much everything at the actual station, so I turned to the harbour.

Then my train arrived.

s640x480

mysterious_jen said:
wow axver that one fucked up rail disaster :ohmy:

This is my Grandpa's story.

Of 176 second class passengers, he was one of only 28 to come out alive. Of 12 passengers from Masterton, he was the only one who came home. He was the only survivor in the second carriage.

My father was born a little over two years later. It always strikes me how close I came to not being here at all.

Axver said:
It's almost eerie, you know. My Grandpa was the photographer of the family. Always was. Had the best and latest cameras and everything. When he was in the Tangiwai disaster, part of the reason he was on the train was to photograph and film Mount Ruapehu at night, as he had seen it on an earlier trip and had been captivated by it.

I didn't even have my own digital camera until Christmas last year. My film camera had long since vanished. I've never shown an interest in photography really, at least not until the middle of last year. But the more Grandpa's health declined, the more I found myself using the camera, and ever since he died in early February, I've been photographing all the time. The day he died, I felt compelled to go photograph the sunset (my Desert Island IV tracklist's cover is one of those photos). I now carry my camera on me at all times.

Interesting that your grandfather was an influence on your more artistic side - my grandfather was the first to notice that I could 'draw', while everyone else thought I just scribbled all the time when I was two years old. He never gave up hope on me, so when he finally succumbed to cancer a few years back I pretty much broke apart. I'm almost willing to believe in an afterlife if it means being able to see him again!

Axver said:
The exclamation marks, unfortunately, are not official but a colloquial addition.

Maybe not official in terms of 'internationally recognized' (as wiki so politely puts it) but let me tell you that those exclamation marks are certainly official there. I'll have to dig thru my albums, but I have pictures of the signs, we drive through there regularly on the way to the east coast..

http://www.saintlouisduhaha.com/

Wow Axver that's a pretty incredible story about your grandfather. :hug:

Mine was editor-in-chief for CBC news in his day, and got me my first recording device (a tape recorder with condenser mic) to begin conducting 'interviews'. He was also an avid photographer. I never followed him into journalism but have always had a thing for photos that others might overlook and interesting stories of people and places. Yours are great to hear and see man! :up:

Bye Jen, have a good one and enjoy tomorrow! :wave:

Hey Gabe, what's up? :)

And Ax, I've just been reading about your Grandpa and the disaster this past ten minutes or so. Wow, what an incredible story.

The Sad Punk said:

Interesting that your grandfather was an influence on your more artistic side - my grandfather was the first to notice that I could 'draw', while everyone else thought I just scribbled all the time when I was two years old. He never gave up hope on me, so when he finally succumbed to cancer a few years back I pretty much broke apart. I'm almost willing to believe in an afterlife if it means being able to see him again!

It's strange - I thought my loss of belief in an afterlife would make Grandpa's passing harder, but I think it actually helped me to find more peace in the whole thing. It helped make sense of a pretty tough spot. I'm hoping my first published work might be a more polished account of his Tangiwai experience. I've read all the accounts of the disaster out there and his story has never been told. Myself and my great aunt are the only two people who have ever interviewed him about what happened. I have the transcript of the interview my great aunt did, and the interview I did with him was the last time I saw him alive - I remember every single second.

mysterious_jen said:
ok i need to call it a night guys, see you tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!

:dance: :hyper: :yippie:

Have a good night, Jen! See you tomorrow evening! :wave:

gvox said:
Wow Axver that's a pretty incredible story about your grandfather. :hug:

Mine was editor-in-chief for CBC news in his day, and got me my first recording device (a tape recorder with condenser mic) to begin conducting 'interviews'. He was also an avid photographer. I never followed him into journalism but have always had a thing for photos that others might overlook and interesting stories of people and places. Yours are great to hear and see man! :up:

Thanks. :)

That's pretty neat! Certainly my photographic side is focusing on the everyday. One thing that's struck me from my work in the History field is that while photos of "great" people and "memorable" occasions are well and good for illustrating textbooks, people seem most fascinated by photos of perfectly ordinary things from before their lifetime. If I showed somebody a photo of the leading Australian politicians in 1908 or Swanston Street in Melbourne in 1908, I bet nine out of ten people will be more fascinated by the latter. So I photograph all the everyday stuff as my own contribution, and just so I can look back on it in a few decades.

The Sad Punk said:

when he finally succumbed to cancer a few years back I pretty much broke apart.

Yeah, that's what happened to me too. Mine was the only one who saw anything in me and I really lost my way the year he died. I'm probably overcompensating with my own now...I encourage and try to nuture even the slightest hint of talent of theirs, and I keep everything. Everything.

Axver said:

people seem most fascinated by photos of perfectly ordinary things from before their lifetime.....photograph all the everyday stuff as my own contribution, and just so I can look back on it in a few decades.

You're so right...anyone can photograph something important or 'sexy' and get it right, but it takes a certain eye to photograph what most would describe as everyday or mundane and bring it to life. I love those types of photos.

Speaking of decades of photos...I literally have about 8 years of film rolls to develop...close to 75 rolls...someone told me they are likely no good :sad: I hope not, I'm going to take in 3 or 4 of the oldest to see what they'll turn out like :uhoh:

gvox said:

You're so right...anyone can photograph something important or 'sexy' and get it right, but it takes a certain eye to photograph what most would describe as everyday or mundane and bring it to life. I love those types of photos.

Speaking of decades of photos...I literally have about 8 years of film rolls to develop...close to 75 rolls...someone told me they are likely no good :sad: I hope not, I'm going to take in 3 or 4 of the oldest to see what they'll turn out like :uhoh:

What I like to do is just walk around a suburb, photograph random streets, and try to get a feel for the place. I hope I did a fairly good job for my hometown in January.

I imagine you should be able to get those developed. I know one guy who successfully got some eighties film developed. Some of it was damaged, faded, or had imperfections, but most of it came out fairly decently. I suppose it's just a matter of finding somebody who knows what they're doing. Good luck. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom