Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A bit of trivia about JCN:

"Don't Fail Me Now" was formerly known as "When The Rope Gets Tight" and has been played at 11 shows between 2000 and 2005.

"Silver Bullets" was played at 5 shows in 2001. It's been played once in 2005.

"My Heart Is Broken" was originally a Whiskeytown song. It was first played live in 1997.

"Jeane", one of the bonus tracks, was played at 8 shows in 2003. All of those shows were when Ryan was opening for The Rolling Stones.

"What Sin", another bonus track, has been being played live since 2000.

Does the link not work generally, or just periodically?? :huh: I'll just suck it up and buy the album soon, but I want to hear it now... :grumpy: :)

So work actually let me leave to go get a copy. :drool:

I got to the store right at 10:00a...the guy was flipping the sign from CLOSED to OPEN as I got out of the car. I went in and asked him if he had the new Ryan Adams CD. He said, "Yep...but no DVD yet." :sad: He said they should have had them, so they were surely on their way. He said he would call me when they came in, and he gave me a laminated JCN thing to show that I was entitled to a DVD. There's a big JCN promo sign in the window, and I asked him if I'd be able to buy it when he's done. He said, "I don't know, Katherine! We'll have to talk about that. That's a pretty sweet sign!", which I figure was his way of saying "I don't want to part with the sign, but I feel bad saying no." :lol: I left and was almost back at work when my cell phone rang. It was him, saying that right after I left, UPS came and the DVDs were part of the shipment. I said, "Work can wait, I'll be right there!" and turned around. I felt bad and figured I'd call the office to make sure everything was cool, and they said it was fine. I arrived back at the store and parked, and the guy came walking outside to my car. He said, "Curbside delivery!" and handed me a DVD. He also gave me two movie passes for an advance screening of Domino, as an apology for me having to drive back out there. So cool. I have a new favorite music store. :heart:

In summary...

I HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:

I actually went to their web site to submit a compliment for what great service I had, and then I added that if I would still love to buy that poster if possible. He sent me a response, and part of the reply was:

"I already placed a call to the label to see if I could get you a foam board sign for your very own, so we'll see if they come up with one for you."

*crosses fingers*

How cool is that guy?

:heart: Glen :heart:

I DEFINITELY have a new favorite music store. :up:

Last edited:
I have to say at first listen so far, I'm a little disappointed. I've never been disappointed in a RA album, so maybe it will grow on me. I do like September and Kiss before you go, although they are probably the two shortest songs on the album.

so he puts out an album like, what? every week?

i'll check this out if i don't forget.

really? it seemed like the 3rd or 4th. i wasn't being a douchebag or anything, i'm just getting overwhelmed by the number of ryan adams cds i want to check out but still haven't gotten around to hearing.

hell, i've been saying i'm going to by rock n roll since it came out, and i know there are other albums from before that and since then...

IWasBored said:
really? it seemed like the 3rd or 4th. i wasn't being a douchebag or anything, i'm just getting overwhelmed by the number of ryan adams cds i want to check out but still haven't gotten around to hearing.

hell, i've been saying i'm going to by rock n roll since it came out, and i know there are other albums from before that and since then...

Yeah... I thought about that. The album due later in the fall (29, I believe it's called?) will be the 8th(!!!!) studio album since 2000.

Heartbreaker
Gold
Demolition (if you count this - I do)
Rock N Roll
Love is Hell (it was released as a full album after all)
Cold Roses
Jacksonville City Nights

It's insane... but not really all that crazy considering his influences. In the late 60s and early 70s it wasn't unsually to have one or two albums every year. The amount of quality stuff on Ryan's albums varies, but none of them are flat-out duds. Right now, I'd probably rank them this way:

Heartbreaker (sorry, always gonna be my fave I think)
Jacksonville City Nights
Cold Roses
Gold
Love is Hell
Rock N Roll
Demolition

I also look forward to doing a Ryan retrospective once this year's final album comes out.

I need more Whiskeytown... :drool:

yes, i need to hear more whiskeytown, too.

demolition and rock n roll are really the only albums i've sat down and listened to. demolition was the first album i got to review for the radio station, and i looked into rock n roll because it had come out around the time BC sent me a ryan adams mix.

too much music, too little time. :sigh:

I like Whiskeytown quite a bit, except for one of their albums, which I didn't care for at all. Can't remember which one it was ... Faithless Street, perhaps? I think that was the one.

I have to say, I don't care for the new Ryan Adams. I didn't hear the previous album he put out - is it in a similar vein?

I have, however, really enjoyed all his previous albums. I'm not so into the country-ish feel of the new stuff (Whiskeytown excepted).

corianderstem said:
I'm not so into the country-ish feel of the new stuff (Whiskeytown excepted).
?!

Everything he's ever done, outside of his awful 2003 records, has been pretty darn country-ish.

i have Love is Hell, which i really like. after going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people really like Cold Roses...how is that compared to Love is Hell? and also JCN... any opinions? i'm still debating whether or not i should expand my ryan adams collection.

Cold Roses is very southern/Jam band sounding. Like the Dead, but a lot less hippy and a lot more honkytonk. Still not a totally countryish record though, and much more musically complex than Love is Hell. Jacksonville City Nights is a classicist country album for the most part. A little more reflective than drinkin', but definitely more country than anything he's done thusfar. Both are quite enjoyable, IMO, and i find JCN to be very accessible for some reason, something I haven't found with any Adams recording since Gold.

xtihn said:
i have Love is Hell, which i really like. after going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people really like Cold Roses...how is that compared to Love is Hell? and also JCN... any opinions? i'm still debating whether or not i should expand my ryan adams collection.

You should definitely get Cold Roses! There are so many great songs.

About half of the songs are awesome.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Cold Roses is very southern/Jam band sounding. Like the Dead, but a lot less hippy and a lot more honkytonk. Still not a totally countryish record though, and much more musically complex than Love is Hell. Jacksonville City Nights is a classicist country album for the most part. A little more reflective than drinkin', but definitely more country than anything he's done thusfar. Both are quite enjoyable, IMO, and i find JCN to be very accessible for some reason, something I haven't found with any Adams recording since Gold.

oh crap...honkytonk doesn't sound good to me... but musically complex sounds appealing....

i've heard many times that ryan adams' music is described as country-ish/ alt-country so i thought i wouldn't like his music (cuxz i'm not into country) but after i got Love is Hell i liked it a lot.

are his albums drastically different from each other? so...if i like Love is Hell, will i like Cold Roses, or JCN, or ROck n roll, etc...?

i guess i should at least try to listen on itunes or something before i buy...

xtihn said:

oh crap...honkytonk doesn't sound good to me... but musically complex sounds appealing....

i've heard many times that ryan adams' music is described as country-ish/ alt-country so i thought i wouldn't like his music (cuxz i'm not into country) but after i got Love is Hell i liked it a lot.

are his albums drastically different from each other? so...if i like Love is Hell, will i like Cold Roses, or JCN, or ROck n roll, etc...?

i guess i should at least try to listen on itunes or something before i buy...

Okay, not LITERALLY honky tonk as in the subgenre of country, but I just meant they're more country than the Dead were (who had their share of country influence).

Also, Love is Hell and Rock N Roll are about as far from his country stuff as you can get. (Rock N Roll being a mishmash of glam, classic rock, and "alternative" think U2 meet the Strokes meet T. Rex meet the Replacements meet.... etc.) Gold is a bit more classic rockish, while Heartbreaker and Cold Roses are pretty balanced still favoring classic rock/country balladry. Jacksonville City Nights is about as country as he could possibly get while still sounding like Ryan Adams.

Last edited:
Okay, yeah, a lot of his stuff does have that alt-countryish sound to it. "Countryish" was the wrong phrase to describe the new one, I guess.

And now I guess I can't say why I didn't like it. :wink:

I like the first Love is Hell EP, but the second wasn't as good. Rock n Roll took a bit to grow on me, but now I really like it.

elevation2u said:
If I can buy only ONE adams's album... what would it be and what would i buy second???

i like countryish/alternative music..

need some sugegstions, thanks

I don't know about second, but I would definitely recommend getting 'Gold' first.

elevation2u said:
If I can buy only ONE adams's album... what would it be and what would i buy second???

i like countryish/alternative music..

need some sugegstions, thanks

Heartbreaker. It's got 3 of the best songs he's written - To Be Sad, Oh My Sweet Carolina, and Come Pick Me Up. It's also got Sweet Lil Gal, Amy, My Winding Wheel, Bartering Lines, Shakedown on 9th St., Damn Sam... lots of good songs. A bit of filler, but this is true of ALL of his albums up until Love is Hell, IMO.

Then Gold has the big "hit" New York, New York. And the original and best version of When the Stars Go Blue, among other tracks.

Cold Roses is good, too though. And Love is Hell. :-\

So...after a few more listens...

I find it to be an enjoyable Ryan album...another good, solid addition to his discography...but it isn't exactly bowling me over (yet, anyway). It's nothing that I am running up to hilltops to proclaim that everybody simply must own this record. I would suggest other albums first. But that isn't a stab at it, because I truly do think it's a nice album, and some of the songs are really hitting me.

I would suggest Gold and Cold Roses...then Heartbreaker...then Love Is Hell...then Demolition...then Rock N Roll.

I have yet to decide where I'd put JCN in that lineup...:hmm:

*edit*

Or, mayhaps, Love Is Hell before Heartbreaker...would probably depend on who I was suggesting them to and what they thought of Gold and Cold Roses. :hmm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom