Ryan Adams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2IrishOne

The Fly
So while I wait for U2 to come to the area, I went up last night to see Ryan Adams, and will be checking him out over the next two days at a couple other places in New England. He puts on a great show, amazing voice, great songs. I think he almost comes across better live because he has such emotion in his voice. Its fun going to his shows, because the atmosphere almost becomes seeing your friend play at a local pub. Its definitely not a polished rock show in respect to playing song after song, very little time in between, and whatnot, and isnt supposed to be. He is great, and if any of you get the chance to see him, you won't be dissapointed. His new double disc record comes out on Tues, so this has been kind of nice to hear the new music on the road before I get the record. Well just wanted to share in my excitment of seeing a couple shows. Do I have any other Ryan Adams fans here?

cheers

U2IrishOne said:
Do I have any other Ryan Adams fans here?

Right here! :D Ryan is the best. :heart:

Man, people at the Ryan board are freaking out over Cold Roses being leaked...but I don't even wanna bother. I'm just gonna buy it ASAP when it's released.

Also, I just updated the B&C Band Index with more older threads on Ryan Adams, in case anyone else is interested.

I realize I didn't go back that far for any other listing in the Band Index, but, hey, it would take forever to do them all...so I must selfishly prioritize. :wink:

Cool I was just looking for a thread like this on Ryan. I bought some tickets for his May 6th show because I'm a huge Rachael Yamagata fan and she is opening. But I'll admit--I have no clue who Ryan Adams is. I'm thinking about downloading a few songs of his from Itunes just to see if I like them or not. To those of you who know him--any suggestions of what songs I should give a listen?

I just got home from the Burlington, VT show. It was excellent. I was lucky to have a friend who is the production manager for the Higher Ground. So I got all access, and was able to watch the show from this balcony side stage. It was also nice because it was right next to the dressing rooms. So I was given a proper introduction to Ryan and the band. Ryan is an incredibly nice guy. He definitely has wicked pre show jitters, as you could tell his thoughts are random, and definitely looks a bit scattered. The rest of his band is great, and I actually got pretty close with them throughout the night. I ended up grabbing a bite with Ryan, and he chatted about cold roses, a bit, but also about his other releases coming up. If anyone has ever seen a show, you'll know he's quite into the whitty banter, and having a personal conversation is no exception. After the set, he came right over, and was really into what I thought about the set which was cool. His whole mood changed, and was really happy. He was sporting this vintage looking black sabbath shirt which was cool, and then invited everyone who was backstage to enjoy some drinks on him once the venue had cleared out. He is such a down to earth guy. Its really quite refreshing to see. So as I was making my way out, he asked if I wanted to come hang out at the gig tomorrow night (well I guess tonight at this time) up in Hampton Beach, NH. So I think I'll be making the ride up. I'll fill you in on how that goes, but I'm excited to have met a great guy like him. And by the way, the new songs are incredible, and I can't wait till tues to pick cold roses up!

**I hope this doesnt come across as bragging or anything, I just read my mesage back, and don't want to sound like that. Just sharing in my excitment in a cool night***

cheers!

Bri

drivemytrabant said:
I'm thinking about downloading a few songs of his from Itunes just to see if I like them or not. To those of you who know him--any suggestions of what songs I should give a listen?

"Monday Night" is a great song. It's on a compilation...you can't find it on any of Ryan's regular albums. It's available on iTunes though, so if you're going the iTunes route, I would definitely get that song. One of my favorites.

As for ones you can find on his regular albums:

Come Pick Me Up
Why Do They Leave?
Firecracker
La Cienega Just Smiled
Harder Now That It's Over
Nuclear
Desire
So Alive
Anybody Wanna Take Me Home
Wonderwall
World War 24
English Girls Approximately
Hotel Chelsea Nights
Let It Ride

That "Monday Night" mention goes for all of you other Ryan fans too! Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

I was a bad idea on a Saturday night
Rolled through your fingers and I made you uptight
Little boy blue with my laser on stun
Couldn't dodge the bullets from your infrared gun
All I want is to roll through your fingers, baby
All I need is to make it alright
All I want is to be your connection
Win your affection, be your reflection
On a Monday night
On a Monday night

I was the last thing left of on an afternoon round
Dressing up for trouble at the lost and found
Tried to live forever every day of the year
Give me something before they kicked us out of here
On a Monday night
On a Monday night

Any other time you want me is cool
Everybody look, I'm the fool
I can let you in, if you can let me like
Being your connection, winning your affection
On a Monday night
On a Monday night

Oh, man, I wish I could talk to you
Oh, man, I wish I wanted to

On a Monday night
On a Monday night

yertle-the-turtle said:
I'm surprised you didn't list 'Sylvia Plath'...I thought that was a favourite of yours?

I debated on whether or not to include that...because I've had many people (who obviously don't know what they're talking about ;) ) tell me that they hate it. :scream: :( So I thought it might not be best to suggest. But, yes, "Sylvia Plath" is a personal favorite of mine. :heart:

Bonochick said:

I debated on whether or not to include that...because I've had many people (who obviously don't know what they're talking about ;) ) tell me that they hate it. :scream: :( So I thought it might not be best to suggest. But, yes, "Sylvia Plath" is a personal favorite of mine. :heart:

I love Sylvia Plath. :drool: Definitely my favourite off Gold.

I got Cold Roses yesterday...wow! I've only listened to the first disc so far, since my boyfriend and I don't have a working CD player in the house. :scream: We need to find a spot for my computer so I can get it hooked up. :lol:

It's very beautiful though...it kinda feels like all of his past albums have been thrown into a pot, and this is the result. It just seems so damn Ryan, which is weird, because he is hard to classify.

Bonochick said:
I got Cold Roses yesterday...wow! I've only listened to the first disc so far, since my boyfriend and I don't have a working CD player in the house. :scream: We need to find a spot for my computer so I can get it hooked up. :lol:

It's very beautiful though...it kinda feels like all of his past albums have been thrown into a pot, and this is the result. It just seems so damn Ryan, which is weird, because he is hard to classify.

The whole album just feels right. I can't wait for the next two! Especially this one song Jacksonville that he has been doing at the shows, sooo amazing!

just a random question: Where can I get my hands on The Suicide Handbook, 48 Hours, or any of the other earlier shelved albums?

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
just a random question: Where can I get my hands on The Suicide Handbook, 48 Hours, or any of the other earlier shelved albums?

I have them...and a bunch of other stuff. I can't burn any CDs right now though because I don't have my computer hooked up in the new house yet. We have to get things sorted out so we can find a spot to put it...we kind of have a moving mess right now. :crack:

Oh, and back to Cold Roses...I nearly died when I heard "Dance All Night". I didn't know it was gonna be THE "Dance All Night"...the previously unreleased song that I'd heard on bootlegs and had fallen in love with. I am absolutely ecstatic that it received a proper release. Of course, now I can no longer include it on my list of favorite unreleased songs. :D

Cold roses is great.:heart: I got it on monday morning before a 7hour train journey, first time I've ever looked forward to a journey. I can't choose a favourite track just yet. BC you're right it IS so Ryan.

I saw him live at the Edmonton folk fest not long ago.

it was pretty bad
and I was really looking forward to it

not only was the setlist awful and boring.
but adams was incoherent and rude and obviously thought himself above playing in canada

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom