RUGBY World Cup 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
That didn't really just happen, did it? No, no ... I reject your And Wayne Barnes should never referee such a high level international game again.

Blaming the ref?

What a load of rubbish.

Your team lost lost. Deal with it.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!

financeguy said:

Blaming the ref?

What a load of rubbish.

Your team lost lost. Deal with it.

Oh come on, the sinbinning of McAlister and awarding the final try off the final pass clearly had a HUGE impact.

But yeah, the team was terrible. I blame the selectors more than the players. What the fuck were they thinking? Especially in the backs. That was bad.

Axver said:

Oh come on, the sinbinning of McAlister and awarding the final try off the final pass clearly had a HUGE impact.

But yeah, the team was terrible. I blame the selectors more than the players. What the fuck were they thinking? Especially in the backs. That was bad.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a pity New Zealand are out of it.

Awesome, NZ and AUS are out of it! Argentina (or Fiji) for the win.

What a great day for International Rugby. Just edged ahead of cricket in the competitive credibility stakes.....

Not sure the point about this being good for world rugby holds. It would if Australia and NZ had gone down to Fiji and Argentina, but England and France? They're hugely established powers as it is. I do hope the Argentines manage to pull off the greatest unexpected Cup win ever, though. THAT would be amazing for world rugby.

I'm still really fucking crushed by the All Blacks loss though.

Axver said:
New Zealand did just about EVERYTHING wrong, right from the word go when we picked less than our strongest team in the over-confident expectation we'd steamroller the French. [/B]

Indeed, that was the wrong way to go and it galvanized the french, picked their pride up... they had nothing to loose and everything to proove. Maybe they just wanted it more...
Just be careful now not to think the hardest part is done.

From an european point of view, it was a really sunny day to see two of the "real rugby world cup" nations going down to 2nd zone nations :)

after the two favourites yesterday got deservedly beaten by a brutal and brilliant england and france, i now have no idea how the rest of the this world cup will turn out. after englands annihaliation by SA 3 weeks ago i never thought i'd see us in a semi-final. never. and the all blacks going out in the quarters as well, couldn't believe what i was watching (especially when when that forward pass decided the game). i won't even bother making any future predictions. there's no point.

guill said:

The All-Blacks are amazing, they are the greatest, it's not even necessary to start this competition, they are so strong

1stepcloser said:

everyone said that about brazil before the 2006 football world cup...

however i did say that at the start of the world cup :wink:

there are quite spooky parralells between the all blacks this year and brazil last year. both crashed out in the quarter finals to france and both were overwhelming favourites for the tournament. and both didn't face particularly testing opposition until this stage.

Mind you, it could be argued that Australia were severely unlucky to lose 2-nil to Brazil. The reffing was horrendous in that group F match.

1stepcloser said:

however i did say that at the start of the world cup :wink:

there are quite spooky parralells between the all blacks this year and brazil last year. both crashed out in the quarter finals to france and both were overwhelming favourites for the tournament. and both didn't face particularly testing opposition until this stage.
Brazil won the World Cup 5 times, they are not the world champions of friendly games.

The English team is amazing too :heart:

Just landed in Sao Paulo and realized that ESPN Brasil is showing the Pumas game live!!!! :D

Go Pumas this afternoon!!!!!!!!

COME ON PUMAS!!!!!!!

Unbelievable, Argentina is in the semis! And the Springboks are afraid... very afraid... :D

Not the nicest test match and not the best the Pumas has played, but they needed to win to prove they are among the best 4 teams in the world.

GO PUMAS!!! The dream is still alive.

i also really liked what the french did when NZ did the Haka, squared right up to them eyeballing each one showing they weren't intimidated at all. Sebastien Chabal is now my new hero. i wish he was english.

i am still shellshocked and empty after the non-expected loss of the ALL BLACKS...
first of all tehy are still the best rugby team in the world, but nonetheless it seems they blow away the big games, everytime it counts...???
am i right? i am right and i am not right!
the french were devils on that black day for the ALL BLACKS... the ALL BLACKS didn't find enough composure for their 'total rugby'... they let happen the 'kicking game' of the frogs and they missed to score after the break and they had obviously no plan b after carter and later evans were off the field because of injuries.
i've also was waiting for the(!) dropgoal...
i also cannot understand why graham henry did not pick doug howlett on wing, not only for the bench. sivivatu had a shocker on saturday night:ohmy:

don't get me wrong, the french deserved the win at the end but the ref wasn't just good enough refereeing at this level.
the sinbinning of luke mcallister was a wrong decision as it was the forward pass that let to the deciding french try.

Andrew Mehrtens (former great ALL BLACK) referring to the french rugby team before the semi-final of RWC 1999:
"They're predictably unpredictable"
...a real prophet mehrts back in '99 was...and why the hell the ALL BLACKS of 2007 did not hear the far cry from the past?

i also watched SOUTH AFRICA vs FIDJI... it was another very good game seeing the springboks under pressure. but at the end of the day SOUTH AFRICA got away with the expected win.

at this stage of the tournament i see FRANCE goin throgh the final... at the moment i won't bet my money on the springboks. the pumas (ARGENTINA) are the dark horse now... great team, they should get a go in the 3-nations...okay it will be named 4-nations then.

Axver said:

I'm south african, so while it suits me that the All Blacks and Aussies are out of it I've got to say I'm pretty gutted.
I'm all behind the southern hemisphere teams (except the argies this weekend obviously :wink: ) and while I appreciate the depth those defeats ahve shown is in this world cup and given it some excitement, , its sad to not see at least one of those 2 power houses of rugby in the semis.

as for the france/NZ game, the ref was appalling and that isn't sour grapes because I don't support either.

the kiwi should NEVER have been sin binned for that knock and the forward passes that led to a try were shocking. I mean even if the ref misses it, what the hell are the linesman looking at because it quite obviously isn't the game or the ball.

as for England in the semis? no one in the world can honestly say they deserve that after the showing they gave pre-world cup and through the group stages. They've been appalling up till then (and even against the aussies they weren't great - australia lost that game more than england one it) and i have no doubt the change has a lot to do with Wilko in again. They seem to come together around him which means they play well, but isn't exactly a sign of a good team.
I dunno, i have a thing for the england rugby team - I think my passion for the Boks is rivalled only by my hatred for the english - they play bad rugby even when they win and by no means deserve to go any further in this competitions.
Allez les blues indeed.

The argentiniens have been the stars of this tournament - what a performance all the way through and I'm reallly glad about that. still though, i'm hoping their glory run comes to an end on Sunday against the boks... we should beat them, but should doesn't mean we will so fingers crossed.
Anyway, with any luck after this weekend I'll be looking forward to a SA V France final...

HIER KOM DIE BOKKE!

digsy said:

I dunno, i have a thing for the england rugby team - I think my passion for the Boks is rivalled only by my hatred for the english - they play bad rugby even when they win and by no means deserve to go any further in this competitions.
Allez les blues indeed.

you're scared of the english. that's what it is. after the 36-0 we're like a wounded animal, down but not out and now we're coming back to get you once we've brushed the frogs aside.

you have been warned :mac:

nah, i've never like the english rugby team, it's got nothing to do with having beaten you 36-0
i think what annoys me is that a team that can almost lose to the USA and then get beaten 36-0 still makes it to the semi's.
thats a spot someone like tonga deserved way more!

Dalton said:
Gibby ain't you a Canuck? What are you doing following rugby?

I'm a citizen of South Africa, born and raised. I've only lived in Canuckia for five/six years.

Back
Top Bottom