RUGBY World Cup 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to hear dead serious similar comments from the Aussie media in the coming month or two, as they have this remarkable ability to forget everything apart from scorelines in Australia's favour. I'm just thankful the idiots at Channel 7 won't be doing commentary - though I'm worried about who Channel 10 will drag in. Commentators on the three commercial networks are easily the worst I have ever heard from anywhere in the world.

COBL_04 said:

No, I though it was amazing, very well played out, very fair, no blunders or anything!

1992 World Cup was what cricket World Cups should be all about. Not as long winded and controversial and boring as 2007's.

COBL_04 said:
No, I though it was amazing, very well played out, very fair, no blunders or anything!

... no blunders? Did you watch the final right to the end? Oh, no, of course you didn't: none of us could!

And the entire tournament's scheduling meant it dragged for what felt like three years longer than it should've.

Nah, I think the regular season of baseball is always a worse tournament. :wink:

And for all of us in Australia, Channel 10 has published their broadcast schedule. Unlike Channel 9, who believed that we really only needed to see a sixth of the Cricket World Cup (in hindsight, perhaps not such a stupid thought), Channel 10 are actually showing EVERY GAME. Here's the link: http://ten.com.au/rugby/match-schedule.html

I know I won't be sleeping much. :drool:

I don't care who has it as long as I get to see the games. Half the time, I mute it anyway because Channel 7 has some of the most moronic, uninformed, and just plain blind commentators on the planet. I don't think Channel 10 could really be much worse.

New Zealand: 1 to 1
Anyone else: 1,000,000 to 0

Still no takers for "anyone else"!

:wink:

I have always said that in rugby, the men control the ball, while in AFL, the ball controls the men. In other words, AFL's good for entertainment, but rugby is a religion. In fact, if I could see the All Blacks win the World Cup or Jesus return, I'd go to the All Blacks game in a heartbeat.

As for the real odds, I understand New Zealand's on extremely low odds, lower than 2 to 1. England's 25 to 1. I think Australia's around the 13 to 1 mark and France 4 to 1.

Shit really? What's that in money terms? $1.20 or something? I don't understand 'odds' per se.

How do you mean the ball controls the men? And I'm the same. If it was Geelong winning the premiership vs The Second Coming I'd be at the Geelong game for sure.

But hey, I'd go to another U2 concert over it as well. There's a lot of things I think. But that's not to be discussed here. :p

I would have thought Argentina would be a threat.

And why doesn't anyone rate our victory against you not long ago? Did you have players out injured?

Australia's odds are kinda poor because you're going to have to get past permanent favourites New Zealand to just reach the final, let alone win. I think New Zealand could have lost every game in the Tri-Nations and they'd still go in favourites, but I think the reason no-one's really rating your victory over us is due to a few reasons:

1. Different squad. New Zealand at present can essentially field two teams. And you guys are now looking at some injuries.
2. That game is being viewed as an anomaly, plus it had a really close result where Australia had the home ground advantage. Not to mention the fact New Zealand really should have won - putting aside the unjust red card, the All Blacks inexplicably faded in the second half, despite the fact that in every other game this year, they have worn out their opponent and dominated the second half.
3. It is also being viewed as the loss that needed to happen, the loss that came at just the right time to snap the All Blacks back to reality and make them get their basic skills nailed down. In other words, we're not rocking in as cocky as we did in 2003, having not lost a game.
4. Further to that, we came back and beat you in the most recent meeting (and by a bigger margin than we lost).
5. And we hold the Bledisloe and Tri-Nations.
6. Oh yeah, and all of New Zealand wants revenge for the 2003 semi!

I think Argentina will be a threat - I'm picking them to go through second in Group D rather than Ireland, and if they play a blinder, they could even upset France. But the thing is, if they go through as Group D's runner-up, they face New Zealand in the quarters. They have never beaten New Zealand, and excluding games played in Argentina, the All Blacks have always won by 20+ points. In other words, if I were an Argentine, I would be praying to go through first and face Scotland or Italy!

Hahahahahaha Wendell Sailor.

Until Matt Dunning showed up, he was the single most talentless hack to ever play for the Wallabies.

Wendell Sailor was completely talentless. He was hopelessly weak - seriously, for a man meant to be Australia's answer to Jonah Lomu, he was brought down with the lightest tackles while Jonah could keep going with five men hanging off him. And his occasional runs had nothing to do with any talent he happened to have, but everything to do with nobody being in front of him and the ball being passed to him by someone more talented who had set the move up.

Australian and world rugby was done a huge favour when he was found to be a drug addict and expelled. Now if only Matt Dunning could be found guilty of something, the Wallabies might again have a modicum of respectability ...

Axver said:
[Insert name of any Australian player here] was completely talentless.

Fixed!

My excitement has waned somewhat. Damn it, why couldn't the World Cup have started BEFORE I left for university? :( I have a feeling my schedule is going to be hectic this semester, so a two hour bus trip back home will probably be out of the question. Maybe I'll have to make some exceptions for the semis and the final.

I guess I can still keep up with it online, although that just isn't the same. Only two more days to go!

Yeah, suddenly with four research assignments due in the course of the next three weeks, my enthusiasm for staying up and watching most games has largely evaporated. I was planning to get at least two these done by the start of the tournament too!

Oh well, I'm still staying up into the wee hours of Sunday morning to see New Zealand's first game!

And thanks for that correction - however did I make such an appalling oversight? :wink:

You're lucky I'm not greatly into Rugby, nor am I able to tell skill when I see it in the game. Here's the odds:

New Zealand $1.60
South Africa $5.50
France $7
Australia $7.50
Ireland $26
England $34
=Argentina $101
=Wales $101
Scotland $301
Italy $401
=Samoa $1001
=Fjij $1001
=Tonga $2501
=Japan $2501
=Canada $2501
=Romania $2501
=USA $5001
=Portugal $5001
=Georgia $5001
=Namibia $5001

Why would you even bother going if you played for USA?

FUCK NO.

Edit: I'm not finding anything online. Nothing on the leading New Zealand websites, and we all know this would be the top headline ...

Last edited:
Fuck you man. :wink:

Of all the names you had to choose, I'm highly amused it was OUR CAPTAIN. Though I'm surprised you wouldn't know him.

It would have been rather funny if you'd named Andrew Ellis, our backup halfback who was picked despite having only played two games before. He's never even scored a point in the international arena. He's good, though. His lack of All Blacks appearances is a consequence of player depth. Every other team in the world would kill to have people like Andrew Ellis and Brendon Leonard (four games) sitting on their bench.

We actually don't pump up our sides all that much. Yes there's a sense of pride but we know when aren't likely to get up.

Daniel 1 Axver 0 :wink:

Although I'll give you a point if the All Blacks beat us.

Psh, Australians hype their teams like there's no tomorrow, to the point of being obnoxious sometimes.

Now, one country that should be hyping its team right now is Argentina. The World Cup is on (WOOOOOO!) and in the first game, Argentina has taken the game to France and lead 17-6 at half-time. It's interesting. The Argentines don't necessarily have the superior skills, and their tactics are unconventional, but they clearly believe in themselves and have the opportunism to outclass the French. I keep saying Argentina is massively underrated, at least down here in Australia/NZ, and they could win this game. After all, they've won 4 out of their 5 last games against France, and the one loss was by a single point in 2006! Before that game, the last time Argentina had lost to France was all the way back in the 1999 World Cup!

Come on Argentina. Give the froggies a shock!

Back
Top Bottom