RS top 500 albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In what universe should Nevermind be 26 places ahead of Dark Side of the Moon? Good grief.

And Nevermind places before the Joshua Tree!!! Yeah, I know mainly musicians voted for this, but sheesh, am I the only one in the world who thinks that Nirvana is getting a bit overrated these days? *prepares for the flames*

Thank god London Calling made the Top 10 or I would have immediately burned my issue...

well that was interesting. that's the first time i've ever seen st. pepper at #1....

get thriller off that list. or out of the top 300 atleast. dear god. not how is nevermind more deserving fo #17 than the joshua tree, how is michael jackson?

~LadyLemon~ said:

Thank god London Calling made the Top 10 or I would have immediately burned my issue...

nevermind burning the issue, RS in general deserves to be lit aflame. i'd be ready to burn their headquarters down

;) or atleast spray paint their windows...

Mrs. Vedder said:
207. Ten, Pearl Jam

:madspit: :mad: :censored:

RS sucks!!! The Beatles @ #1 SHOOT ME PLEASE!

gladly. :rolleyes: pearl jam are where they deserve to be, as are the beatles.

just kdding, where have you been? :wave:

could it BE any longer of a list?

call me crazy...but that list is just way too fookin long for my taste.
:der:
i dunno...but when it gets that long....somehow the meaning gets lost (if there was any to begin with)...
and personally, the order leaves alot to be desired.
i have way too many beefs about this fookin list, so i'll stop while i'm ahead.
enough of these freakin "top 100 this" "top 500 that" lists :rolleyes:

I think its an honor for any album to simply make the list considering how many albums there are. Albums from the 1930s all the way up to last year made the list. To be in the top 500 out of millions of albums that have been made over the past century is an honor.

Certainly, I have a lot of disagreements with the list as I do with all list. Not a single one of Sting's solo albums made the top 500, but 4 out of the 5 POLICE albums did make the list, giving the POLICE the best average total of their albums making the list of any artist on the list along with the SMITHS.

I noticed that only 12 albums released after January 1980 made the top 100. Only 14 albums released after January 2000 made the TOP 500. The decade with the most albums on the list was the 1970s.

As much as I love the Beatles, it does get kind of old seeing them dominate the Top 100 and Top 500 lists all the time. Did they really need to put 11 of their albums in the Top 500? I can see including maybe 5 or 6, but 11? And Rumors and Thriller rank ahead of The Joshua Tree? Whatever.

I think Nevermind being at #17 seems reasonable, considering the sheer impact of that album.

Lets remember that this list was based on a poll of 273 people. They were artist and other people in some way related to the music industry. They were each asked to rank their own top 50 albums. The 273 people collectively wrote in 2,400 albums. Only albums that appeared on at least 5 ballots were considered for the TOP 500. Then 100 points was given to every album that achieved a first place ranking on any of the 273 top 50 lists, the #2 album 98 points all the way down to #50 recieving 2 points.

Obviously there were a lot of people that thought Sgt. Peppers was the best album of all time and placed it first on the list, but it was probably a minority of the 273 people, but still a plurality compared to other albums. It essentially got the most points, and came in first because of that. It was not by design at all. The voters all filled out their list independently of each other.

THE EDGE and Paul McGuinness were among the 273 people who voted.

hey Sting...thanks for all that info!
kudos to you for compiling stats on that list...
i still think that list is a load of blarney anyway (even if the voters included Edge and Paul).

i've now learned to ignore these lists....as they are subjective...i keep on reminding myself to not get wound up about it.

as someone said earlier....the only good thing i have to say is that the Clash placed in the top 10....other than that, i've really got nothing good to say.

i mean...c'mon...as much as I love PJ (and I do immensely)...i would not place Ten ahead of The Who's Quadrophenia.

and that is just one of several hundred complaints that i have with this list.....
so i'll end it there....lol.

mmmBono,

I am willing to bet that there were several dozen people out of the 273 that would have a top 50 album list similar to yours. The thing is that there were 200 other lists that may have been very different. They all get averaged together and this is what happens.

I am willing to bet that all 273 people who participated in the voting are just as surprised as many of us our by what did or did not make the list and where certain albums placed on the list. When you take the simple average of 273 peoples top 50 lists, its probably not going to make much sense to anyone.

I have an idea, lets do our own list here at intereference. To make it simple and get more people to participate, lets make it your top 10 albums instead of your top 50. If we can get 30 or more people to vote, I think that would be a good representive sample.

One problem of course will be a built in bias towards U2, so we might want to consider doing a top 10 list that does not include U2.

^i own nine and most of them are beatles albums

22 of the top 100

i own exactly 50 albums on that list.

Last edited:
IWasBored said:
^i own nine and most of them are beatles albums

22 of the top 100

i own exactly 50 albums on that list.

:lmao:

whether we like to admit to it or not....these lists get us going in one way or another!! LMFAO!
i mean...look...joyfulgirl is counting how many she has...as is IWB...it didn't even occur to me to count how many of that list that i own...it's probably an insane amount considering i have 1400+ cds.
:reject:
Sting...that is a great idea :wave:
maybe we should consider it for the future...just for fun...but don't ask me to do that now...because i'm still reeling from that fookin list.....and this is coming from someone who said she wouldn't get wound up about it :lmao:
i love Nirvana and all...but i wouldn't even place Nevermind ahead of Quadrophenia....
yah..i guess that album(Quadrophenia) meant alot to me...as it is one of the albums that i literally "grew up" to along with albums like REM's Document.....to see those albums place so low drove me up the fucking wall.
anyhoooo.
i'll shut my hole.....what else do you expect from a crazy redhead?
we're fookin nuts....i can vouch for that. :up:

IWasBored said:

gladly. :rolleyes: pearl jam are where they deserve to be, as are the beatles.

just kdding, where have you been? :wave:

You better be kidding! lol

:wave: How are yah IWB? How's school? I've been around... just not around here! lol

mmmBono said:

i mean...look...joyfulgirl is counting how many she has...as is IWB...it didn't even occur to me to count how many of that list that i own...

I just couldn't help but notice that I had all but 3 and I'm not proud of it because I think it's a shitty list, hence the reject box. I never listen to ANY of those 17!

edit: okay, I listen to Kind of Blue all the time.

Last edited:
U2fan42 said:
"266. Quadrophenia: The Who"

WHY SO LOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:censored: :madspit: :mad: :scream: :rant: :rant: :banghead: :combust:

tell me about it!!!!!
don't get me started all over again....
i've just recently brought my blood pressure back to normal. LMFAO!

Hello,

I always like lists like these. Not to hold them as the gospel truth, but it's nice to see what others are considering great albums. Are your favourites on it? Essential omissions? Etc.
That said, I do think this list has some weak points. My main gripe with it is the abundance of greatest hits compilations. Why allow them on the list? What's wrong with an original album, a song cycle that represents one snapshot of an artist? Connected with this argument (too many greatest hits records) is that there is quite some overlap between some records. I noticed 2 Hank Williams compilations on them. Phil Spector gets a mention with his excellent Back To Mono compilation and also with his A Christmas Gift To You album, but this last one is also part of Back To Mono!

That said, between #2 (Pet Sounds) and #492 (Vitalogy) I own 43 albums on this list (8,6 % for the statiticians ;)). I included my vinyl copies of Thriller and Bad and my audio cassette of Born In The USA. I did not include the 4 Police albums, even though I have them on the Message In A Box boxset (which apparently includes everything The Police ever released, apart from their live double album).

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom