Roy Keane chucked out of Ireland Squad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudimani

Acrobat
Roy Keane has been sent home from the world cup, in short for being an arrogant spoilt git.
Any thoughts?
Personally I think there's no way you can keep a player in the squad if he's gonna be acting up, cant do team morale any good. Better off without him...
But we will miss him, he was our top player, and its doubtful he'll play for the team again while McCarthy is the coach.
Still have to move on without him, there are other good players in the team, they dont all play for scum utd. but what the hell?
Still think we can reach the 2nd round anyway...

------------------
Love is a very powerful thing. There's nothing more radical than two people loving each other. When I talk about love I'm thinking of an unselfish love. Emotions can be bought and sold just like anything else, but I think real love is about giving and not expecting anything in return...I think that love stands out when set against struggle.
-Bono (on love in 'War')

?*~darkcloud~*?

Hmm...well...if I remember correctly, former US coach Steve Sampson did the same thing to former captain John Harkes in 1998.

The US went down in flames at that year's World Cup, finishing dead last.

Draw your own conclusions.

He's just a self centred idiot. He came out and said he was thinking of the whole squad and the best for the Irish squad but it looks to me like he was just being an idiot.

Sure he is one of our best players, but with Holland and Kinsella I think we will cope alright! I just feel bad for Healy, and now we only have 22 players. Keane just seems to have this "I am the man" thing about him, he's had the FAI running from him a few times, and the way he played them yesterday, by saying he was out, lettin them ring Healy, and then sayin he'd stay, and having Healy told unlucky, well, for that alone, I'd have no problem telling him where to go.

And basically he has ruined his whole reputation here, all my friends and family and myself wouldn't even recognise him as Irish after what he did today. All he is to me now is a United scumbag.

i think its a big pity roy wont be playing in what would have been his first and last world cup as captain, but i do think the team are better off without him, simply because, they are a team, and if youve been reading the papers he doesnt seem part of it.

I think hes just spoiled by the facilities at Old Trafford, as acting like it- A spoiled kid.

also, although he is a fantastic player, he isnt irelands only player!given, duff, robbie keane, staunton, are all great players, and the rest are bloody good!
If anything i think this will make the team closer, and not only that, but i think they will go to the world cup with the ulterior motive of proving to the rest of the world that ireland is not just about roy keane.i for one, in a weird sort of way, am glad that they have the chance to do this.

after that little rant, what do the rest of you think?

[This message has been edited by ccolhandlaura (edited 05-23-2002).]

I personally think Roy Keane is an idiot for mouthing off and getting chucked off the squad. Most footballers dream is to captain their countries team in the world cup and he had the chance and gave it away. What an idiot

tongue.gif

Originally posted by speedracer:
Hmm...well...if I remember correctly, former US coach Steve Sampson did the same thing to former captain John Harkes in 1998.

The US went down in flames at that year's World Cup, finishing dead last.

Draw your own conclusions.

Ireland arent the Us though...

Keane just got away with too much with the FAI, he wouldnt act that way at utd. cos he knows he would be straight out of there if he did, so why should be behave less professionally for his country. Anyway that place was just for training until they got to their permanent training camp, just seems pretty stupid of him, just seems he didnt want to be there, and what good can he do the team then? It seems obvious that Keane's priority is with utd. and not with Ireland

------------------
Then we sat on our own star and dreamed of the way that we were and the
way that we wanted to be
Then we sat on our own star and dreamed of the way that I was for you
and that you were for me
And then we long to dance the night away
And turned to each other saying 'I love you, baby I love you'
Oh the way that young lovers do

?*~darkcloud~*?

Originally posted by lazyboy:

lettin them ring Healy, and then sayin he'd stay, and having Healy told unlucky, well, for that alone, I'd have no problem telling him where to go.

Thank you! i agree! hes had the whole FAI running around after him for too long. i really have lost most if not all of my respect for him. did you see him in the airport?he said he had no regrets about being sent home, he was feeling great and had a clear conscience!!i was ready to throw something at the telly!

Also, the mood at the Irish camp looks better- they had a sing-song on the way to the airport this morning, for the first time-according to mick byrne, in years.

i think that speaks for itself!

Back
Top Bottom