Rolling Stones - best album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best Rolling Stones album?

• England's Newest Hitmakers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12x5

• Out of Our Heads

• December's Children

• Aftermath

• Between The Buttons

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Their Satanic Majesties Request

• Beggars Banquet

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Let It Bleed

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Sticky Fingers

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Exile on Main Street

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Goats Head Soup

• It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

• Black and Blue

• Some Girls

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Tattoo You

• Other - please explain

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
We had one of these for Zeppelin, so it's only fair that we have one for the Stones. I only included the albums that get the most praise, because posting all of them would just be a waste.

Count me as part of Sticky Fingers bandwagon. Fantastic record in every way. Let It Bleed is a close second.

Not the biggest Stones fan, but Let It Bleeds rocks my balls all over the place. :up:

Yeah, I would have to agree that LIB is the height of awesome. And it would have gotten my vote if it weren't for Sticky Fingers being about 0.2% better.

Sway :drool:
Wild Horses :sad:
Can't You Hear Me Knocking :rockon:
Dead Flowers :dance:

Exile.

Rocks Off.

Rip This Joint.

Tumbling Dice.

Sweet Virginia.

Sweet Black Angel.

Loving Cup.

Happy.

Ventilator Blues.

I Just Want To See His Face.

Shine A Light.

C'mon, Shine A Light? Inspirational, dirty Stones.

The whole album is a case of beer, a fuck, and her leaving.

This is tough. It might be a cliché, but the run Beggar's Banquet - Let It Bleed - Sticky Fingers - Exile On Main Street is amazing. Their best is one of these 4, but I don't know which one (yet).
:hmm:

My personal favorite is Sticky Fingers, but Exile is far and away their masterpiece. Sure it could lose a track or two, but who cares? It's fucking epic.

Popmartijn said:
This is tough. It might be a cliché, but the run Beggar's Banquet - Let It Bleed - Sticky Fingers - Exile On Main Street is amazing. Their best is one of these 4, but I don't know which one (yet).
:hmm:

I agree entirely, and the answer is Beggar's Banquet. Aside from the obvious standouts in Sympathy for the Devil and Street Fighting Man, Stray Cat Blues is one of the most salacious tunes I have ever heard, and Salt of the Earth must be their best album closer.

Ouch, no love for pre-Beggars Banquet Stones? Those early records have some killer tunes. :drool:

Let It Bleed for me, but Sticky Fingers and Exile are in a close 2nd/3rd.

I still want to know what the "other" vote was for. :slant: I'll use me imagination and pretend it was for Still Life. :wink:

cdisantis83 said:
I agree entirely, and the answer is Beggar's Banquet. Aside from the obvious standouts in Sympathy for the Devil and Street Fighting Man, Stray Cat Blues is one of the most salacious tunes I have ever heard, and Salt of the Earth must be their best album closer.

:yes:

However, I went for Let It Bleed. For no other reason than that it's playing at the moment. Gimme Shelter, Love In Vain, Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man, You Can't Always Get What You Want. Need I go on?
:bow:

LemonMelon said:
Ouch, no love for pre-Beggars Banquet Stones? Those early records have some killer tunes. :drool:

True. But they might be lacking in being great albums. And when it comes to great albums, I think Beggar's Banquet - Exile On Main Street wins out over, say, Aftermath.

Exactly. With the earlier Stones albums, I prefer taking the best songs and making a compilation out of them, as there was never an album I really liked all the way through.

Same with anything after Exile as well.

But those four albums are quintessential Stones.

I will echo what a lot of you have said about the Stones "Big 4" albums. That's a stretch of dirty, bluesy rock and roll that's pretty hard to beat. Classic stuff.

For my personal favorite it's always been between 'Beggars Banquet' and 'Let It Bleed' so I'll vote for 'Let it Bleed' here to break the current tie.

I'm really digging Goat's Head Soup lately, and while it would certainly be the weakest of the 5, I think it deserves to be included in that great run.

Back
Top Bottom