rolling stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
i come from a very anti-stones family. both my parents hated them, especially my mom. therefore the only songs i'm familiar with, are the ones i know from listening to the radio.

i know, in order to claim you enjoy music there are some things you should just know. but i'm admitting to this, and since the band index didn't get me what i wanted, and god forbid i do something intelligent like leave this site and figure anything out for myself....

i don't want to go the route of greatest hits compilations or anything, that's the kind of thing i want to avoid. for that, i can go listen to my local classic rock station.

so, someone tell me where to begin. please.

Start with 2 of the greatest Rock and Roll albums ever put to tape:

Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers.

Play them loud. Play them often. They're infectious. They're the only Stones records you really need.

I'll send you CDR copies if you like. They're that good.

Last edited:
didnt the stones dabble into experimentation/electronicaissshhhh for an album?

Zoomerang96 said:

that would be what i'd be looking to avoid.

MrBrau1 said:
Start with 2 of the greatest Rock and Roll albums ever put to tape:

Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers.

Play them loud. Play them often. They're infectious. They're the only Stones records you really need.

I'll send you CDR copies if you like. They're that good.

:up:

i'll email you..i might have to take you up on the CDR thing.

edit: of course, in order to do that, i'd need your email address, which i thought i had but apparently i don't.

i'm sorry, i'm incredibly stupid today.

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

:up:

i'll email you..i might have to take you up on the CDR thing.

edit: of course, in order to do that, i'd need your email address, which i thought i had but apparently i don't.

i'm sorry, i'm incredibly stupid today.

brau1 at yahoo.com

Zoomerang96 said:

They did:

Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)

"She's A Rainbow" is on there...fantastic song in my opinion.

But before they did that, they also experimented with "Aftermath" which is like the Stones's Revolver, all sitars and things like that, songs like Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday, Mother's Little Helper come from this era..

Aftermath is excellent.

I was introduced to the Rolling Stones by way of Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon. So you can understand that it took me a long time and a lot of listening to reconcile the Stones with not sucking. The two conditions have simply not existed in the same universe within my lifetime.

But it's true: the Rolling Stones, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, did not suck and were actually one of the best rock bands of their time, quite a feat considering their time also included the likes of the Beatles and the Doors. You have to hear it to believe it.

Get all the studio albums from Aftermath to Exile On Main Street. If you liked the Beatles' early stuff, get everything before Aftermath too. If you want a live album, get Get Yer Ya-Yas Out too. Some Girls is the best post-Exile album, which doesn't say much, but it's unusually inspired for its context. Everything else is...rocky.

My favorites are Let It Bleed and Her Satanic Majesties Request. The former is their best blues album--the cover of Robert Johnson's "Love In Vain" is probably the best thing they've ever done--and the latter is a surprisingly good take at psychedelia that most people seem to hate.

I'm going to second most of what I've heard here. Don't listen to people who tell you Tattoo You is a great album. Even Some Girls, which has some amazing songs on it, is far from a masterpiece. Of course, Beast of Burden alone is worth $10...

But there are really four Rolling Stones essentials, and it's the greatest string of four albums that any artist has probably ever put out:

1. Beggar's Banquet
2. Let It Bleed
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Exile on Main Street

Even The Beatles didn't have 4 in a row that were as good. The last two are the best but everyone's got their own tastes (Aftermath, while great, is more a collection of songs than a proper album, much like Beatles for Sale). Beggars has much more acoustic material on it. Exile is the most ambitious and that's why it's considered their masterpiece, but Sticky Fingers is more concise in its brilliance. And it has Moonlight Mile.

Enjoy

laz

My favorite ever is Sticky Fingers....which also has my favorite Stones song EVER on it...Dead Flowers.

:heart:

lazarus said:
I'm going to second most of what I've heard here. Don't listen to people who tell you Tattoo You is a great album. Even Some Girls, which has some amazing songs on it, is far from a masterpiece. Of course, Beast of Burden alone is worth $10...

But there are really four Rolling Stones essentials, and it's the greatest string of four albums that any artist has probably ever put out:

1. Beggar's Banquet
2. Let It Bleed
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Exile on Main Street

Even The Beatles didn't have 4 in a row that were as good. The last two are the best but everyone's got their own tastes (Aftermath, while great, is more a collection of songs than a proper album, much like Beatles for Sale). Beggars has much more acoustic material on it. Exile is the most ambitious and that's why it's considered their masterpiece, but Sticky Fingers is more concise in its brilliance. And it has Moonlight Mile.

Enjoy

laz

Lazarus is 100% correct (although I would give a little more credit to Some Girls), those four albums in a row are the pinnacle of rock (and blues and country). But don't let the country comment scare you. The Rolling Stones version of country is 1000 times better than that modern Nashville shit.

THE ROLLING STONES!!!! :drool: :bow:

Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed
Exile On Main Street
Tattoo You
Beggar's Banquet
Some Girls
Voodoo Lounge

You can't go wrong with any of those records. Starting with Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed would be a good idea. :up: There's also another record called Stripped which is a compilation of new recordings of older Stones songs (like Wild Horses and Slipping Away) mixed with amazing live versions of other Stones songs (like Street Fighting man and Dead Flowers). I know you said no compilations but this REALLY would be a great way to start as it has some classics, rarities and many early songs all together in this amazing cd!

martha said:
I have no idea where to begin, my dear, but Some Girls is one of my favorite albums from any artist. I also really enjoy Made in the Shade, which is a hard-to-find hits compilation.

My dad used to have Made In The Shade. I played that thing till it was almost worn out. He sold off all his records, and this is part of why he's such a jackass.

Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed are essential, IMO. :up:

bsp77 said:
Lazarus is 100% correct (although I would give a little more credit to Some Girls), those four albums in a row are the pinnacle of rock (and blues and country). But don't let the country comment scare you. The Rolling Stones version of country is 1000 times better than that modern Nashville shit.
Country didn't suck until Garth Brooks got famous. Old skool country is more bluesy and folksy and less poppy and saccharine.

~LadyLemon~ said:
My favorite ever is Sticky Fingers....which also has my favorite Stones song EVER on it...Dead Flowers.

:heart:
:rockon: Yes!! And I'll jump on the BB - Exile bandwagon. Get them now!

As a very young boy, I remember my stepfather giving me the Japanese LP version of “Aftermath” (late 60’s). Welcome to Rock n’ Roll son.

This was the first album the Stones wrote 100%. So a landmark.
I love the story of Charlie Watts talking about why “Goin’ Home” is so long (11 minutes), because no one in the studio told them to STOP playing.

So what to get????????????

My buying order would be.
Aftermath
Exile On Main Street
Sticky Fingers
Emotional Rescue

I personally like the early Stones stuff.
Sittin On A Fence
Backstreet Girl
2000 Light Years From Home
Out Of Time
She's A Rainbow
etc.
etc.
I also like the mid 70's Stones as well. Just go explore. There's plenty of great songs by The Rolling Stones.

I've been a stones fan for nearly 11 years. Seen them 3 times in concert and even bought there crap records. The following are must haves for anyone getting into the Stones:

Let It Bleed
Beggars Banquet
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street (Favorite album of all time)

Other Stone albums worth the listen:

Goat Heads Soup (Winter is one my favorite Stone songs :drool: )
Its Only Rock N Roll
Black & Blue
Some Girls
Aftermath
Tattoo You
Voodoo Lounge (last decent album)

Stones were so solid through out the late 60's through 70's. After Tatoo You it has pretty much gone down hill.

The Big Four are required. Some Girls is also a must.

For serious fun, look previous to Beggars Banquet.

"Your mother who neglected you owes a million dollars tax, and your father's still perfecting ways of making ceiling wax"

my personal fave's (only officially released albums, no greatest hits):

1 exile on main street
2 let it bleed
3 sticky fingers
4 beggar's banquet
5 goat's head soup
6 aftermath
7 it's only rock and roll
8 december's children
9 some girls
10 tattoo you
11 out of our heads