Roger Clemens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i can never fault anyone for not wanting to stay retired... i know how tough it is after ending your "athletic career," and i was just a lowly decrepid d3 basketball player. i can only imagine what it would be like for such an intense competitor like roger clemens who's entire life has been nothing but baseball. :shrug:

but as a sports fan i do like the story of how he left... striking out his last batter in a world series game, getting a standing ovation by the opposing fans and players. but hey... no one left the game as perfectly as jordan did with that shot against the jazz, and he came back... so what the hell.

Clemens has issued a statement saying he'll wear a Houston Astros cap on his bust at the Hall of Fame, due to his "Incredible accomplisments on the field so far as a member of the Astros".

Reminded that he said previously he would wear a Blue Jay cap after leaving Boston, then saying he'd only wear a Yankee cap, Clemens retorted, "Third times a charm".

Originally posted by yours truly on 01/12/04.....

Mr. BAW said:
Hmmm... All-star pitcher pitching to all-star catcher, Mike Piazza.

Wow! doubtful but what IF?????????? :)

NEW YORK (Ticker) - New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza is among the National Leaguers holding sizeable leads at their respective positions in All-Star fan balloting.

Piazza has 621,524 votes in the latest returns released Monday for the 75th All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 13 at Minute Maid Park in Houston.

The 35-year-old Piazza is vying for his 10th election as the starting catcher, which would tie him with Hall of Famer Johnny Bench for most elections at the position. Piazza has a lead of over 262,000 votes over his nearest challenger, Brad Ausmus of Houston.

The Astros' Jeff Kent has a big lead in voting for second basemen, receiving 627,162 votes, more than 247,000 better than Marcus Giles of the Atlanta Braves.

Scott Rolen of the St. Louis Cardinals has a comfortable cushion at third base with 596,823 votes. Aramis Ramirez of the Chicago Cubs is second with 339,894.

In other positions, Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals (564,687) has a slim lead over Houston's Jeff Bagwell (523,919) for first baseman, and the Cardinals' Edgar Renteria has taken over the lead at shortstop with 367,301 votes, less than 3,000 ahead of Adam Everett of the Astros.

San Francisco Giants outfielder Barry Bonds continues to lead all NL vote-getters with 797,102. Bonds is vying for his 13th All-Star selection, 11th as a starter.

Oh, Mr. BAW.....I should take my show on the road!!!!!
:lol:

Last edited:
S ports

Clemens, Mulder to Start All-Star Game

2 hours, 52 minutes ago

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

HOUSTON - Roger Clemens will open the All-Star game for the National League, throwing the first pitch to his nemesis, New York Mets (news) catcher Mike Piazza.

"I'm glad I'm throwing to him and I don't have to face him," Clemens said Monday.

Clemens, 10-3 with a 2.62 ERA for his hometown Houston Astros (news), was selected to start Monday by NL manager Jack McKeon of the Florida Marlins (news). Oakland's Mark Mulder was picked to start by AL manager Joe Torre of the New York Yankees (news).

Clemens, then with the New York Yankees, beaned Piazza in July 2000. In Game 2 of the World Series (news - web sites) that October, he threw the jagged barrel of a shattered bat in the direction of Piazza, earning a $50,000 fine.

While the pair aren't warm to each other, they repeatedly have said they didn't foresee a problem working with each other. On Monday, Clemens called the controversy a media creation.

"It's not that big a deal. It's not an issue," he said.

I don't know if I'd call giving up 3 runs in 7 innings while striking out 8 in a 3-1 loss getting "shelled". More like pitching well and getting no run support from what may well be the most underachieving lineup in the majors.

i wouldnt call giving up a cycle and 6 runs in the first inning "shelled"

just a lack of run support...

Now that truly is shelled.(with an assist from Stone Hands Kent)
Of course with Mike "Crash Davis" Piazza behind the plate..."he hit that pitch like he knew what was coming".

"hey manny... outside curve. good luck big guy"
18_sept_piazzanypdhat.jpg

:rolleyes:

RAIG, Colo. - Houston Astros pitcher Roger Clemens was asked to leave a youth baseball game over the weekend for arguing a close call that went against his son's team.

Clemens was at the game Saturday watching his son, Kacy, compete in a 10-and-under game organized by Triple Crown Sports when Clemens contested a call at second base that went against the Katy Cowboys.

He spit sunflower seeds at an umpire's leg and was asked to leave, said Jim Carpenter, a field supervisor with Triple Crown.

"I supported the umpire's decision and he (Clemens) respectfully left," Carpenter told the Craig Daily Press.

Katy lost the game to the Bakersfield Curve, 11-5.

Back
Top Bottom