RMT LXXI: Feel Like We Could Discuss 1000 Bands in This Thread, You Guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like I could listen to 1000 albums tonight, you guys.

The end-of-year thread is always great.

Well done, iYup. Guess we'll just have to wait 1,000 posts until my new thread, you guys.

On Kanye, I just realised about a week ago he samples Steely Dan in Champion (I don't have The Royal Scam). And shit does he sample it well.

Love the opening "did you realise / that you were a champion / in their eyes / yes I did / so I packed it up and brought it back to the crib"

You haven't heard Kid Charlemagne, Cobbler? That's one of my favorite guitar songs of all time.

I have now. Great song. Feel like I could listen to a thousand Steely Dan songs today, you guys.

Also, Childish Gambeezy sideshow. I'll be there. In spite of the 1.6 he got from bitchfork.

I'm sure you're not. Probably Transatlanticism is how most people were introduced to Death Cab.

So am I like the only person on here who likes Transatlanticism?

No, it's by far their most popular on sites like this.

I love the first half, I just get bored halfway through the title track and nothing reels me back in.

I don't much like the track Transatlanticism but I think the 3 song segment after it is probably my favourite part of the album.

I was just kind of amused by the fact that none of you mentioned it as a favorite, I guess.

I absolutely love that album. 100%, every song.

Unfortunately, it's the only album of theirs I have heard. Not really sure why. I like pretty much every song by them I've ever heard (besides "Follow You Into the Dark:...what an awful song).

Someone boxed up the fucking Disintegration Loops by Matthew Basinki and Pitchfork gave it a 10. I've got nothing against drone, but that has to be the most impossible box set of all time to listen through in one sitting, and it's only got like four albums in it.

Here's why. Please take a couple of minutes to educate yourself:

"The Disintegration Loop" - William Basinski - YouTube

I've heard the entire first album and there are two different melodies in the first half hour.

EDIT: Oh shit, we've got ourselves a new Shooting Star:

It's been said that box sets are tombstones, but this one feels like a living and breathing thing. And there's an irony in that too. The obvious observation about The Disintegration Loops is that it's about death, but of course, life gives death meaning. A couple of days ago I was listening to "Dlp 4" while riding the subway to work. For the track's early half, I was gripped by the sublime beauty of the repeating music and I was lost in my own world completely. But then as it started to break apart and silence took over I started to become aware of what was around me. I could hear the engines, the rattle of the tracks, and the voices of people in the subway car. The music had me thinking about the biggest questions-- why we are here and how we exist and what it all means. And then as the last crackle faded and the music was no more, I took in my surroundings and looked around at the faces and I was right there with everybody and we were alive.

The end-of-year thread is always great.

Yeah, I'm enjoying reading through it. I've still got a few things yet to listen to from this year, too (and am taking notes from the thread), so it'll be a bit before any lists of mine show up, but it is always fun to read through these discussions as it is.

I like pretty much every song by them I've ever heard (besides "Follow You Into the Dark:...what an awful song).

...I like that song :reject:.

I haven't heard any early Death Cab For Cutie at all. Sounds like I might need to remedy that at some point.

In honor of PFan and his inability to produce the much sought-after meme history.
Oh man, I forgot about that jaunt. I'm on break, I may have a little time to carve some of that out.

I mean, it's somewhat redundant what with LeMel taking care of a lot of the nostalgia with his competition, but whatever.

In honor of PFan and his inability to produce the much sought-after meme history.

And who gave you permission to abbreviate "Random Music Thread" to "RMT"??

I was just kind of amused by the fact that none of you mentioned it as a favorite, I guess.

I absolutely love that album. 100%, every song.

Unfortunately, it's the only album of theirs I have heard. Not really sure why. I like pretty much every song by them I've ever heard (besides "Follow You Into the Dark:...what an awful song).

I have several friends who abandoned Death Cab because of Transatlanticism and the following album.

Most fans I've talked to prefer We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes.

There is suff I like off everything I've heard, but there's no album I'm really excited about. My favorite song is probably Stability, one of the bonus/EP tracks from The Photo Album. I think it's their longest at 12+ minutes, and it was remade on Plans as "The Stable Song".

So am I like the only person on here who likes Transatlanticism?

Not at all. It remains my favorite Death Cab album. I've also worked my way backward and forward through their catalog (and own most of their albums), but nothing does it for me like Transatlanticism, sans Death of an Interior Decorator, which I don't care for at all. I love For What Reason from We Have the Facts..., but Transatlanticism is the only album I still listen to on the regular. For me it's got some really strong tracks: Tiny Vessels, We Looked Like Giants, Expo '86, Title and Registration...

Someone boxed up the fucking Disintegration Loops by Matthew Basinki and Pitchfork gave it a 10. I've got nothing against drone, but that has to be the most impossible box set of all time to listen through in one sitting, and it's only got like four albums in it.

Here's why. Please take a couple of minutes to educate yourself:

I took a couple of minutes.

At first I was like this: :uhoh:

But then I was like this: :crack:

LemonMelon said:
It's been said that box sets are tombstones, but this one feels like a living and breathing thing. And there's an irony in that too. The obvious observation about The Disintegration Loops is that it's about death, but of course, life gives death meaning. A couple of days ago I was listening to "Dlp 4" while riding the subway to work. For the track's early half, I was gripped by the sublime beauty of the repeating music and I was lost in my own world completely. But then as it started to break apart and silence took over I started to become aware of what was around me. I could hear the engines, the rattle of the tracks, and the voices of people in the subway car. The music had me thinking about the biggest questions-- why we are here and how we exist and what it all means. And then as the last crackle faded and the music was no more, I took in my surroundings and looked around at the faces and I was right there with everybody and we were alive.

I don't mind that so much, not quite as vomit-inducing as shooting star and at least he is talking about the music.

But when you consider he's talking about fucking drone, yeah, it's completely ridiculous. To each their own but I'd rather listen to One Direction on a loop. (see what I did there)

I'm not sure what drone is. I mean, I know what the word is, it's just not something I often hear as a genre of music. I probably hate it, though.

Don't I have to pay Elvis money to have a sig? Yeah, fuck that.

The thing that bothers me most about the stuff she says she dislikes now is that I can remember her saying she liked the majority of it once.

This was someone's DI cover.

9C1A006A-6280-4D33-BD3B-39D008ED9451-2171-00000139B3CBD6AC.jpg

Pretty ordinary song though. There's definitely a lot of songs I'd have preferred to have heard.

u2popmofo said:
The thing that bothers me most about the stuff she says she dislikes now is that I can remember her saying she liked the majority of it once.

Radiohead hardly encompasses the majority of my negative posts.

No words currently in my vocabulary properly describe how much I love the drum bit on "I can't explain" just before the chorus starts up.

Happy now?

Man, you know you haven't had a great day when Street Spirit seems to fit your mood.

Meanwhile, the worst thing that happened to my dog today was he seemed mildly annoyed when he was trying to take a shit as we were out for a walk and I kept pulling him along because he was in open view of someone's front window and I didn't have anything to clean it up with. But he forgot about that five seconds later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom