RIP Art Carney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Meringue

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So we lose another great one. :sad:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/11/obit.carney/index.html

Actor Art Carney dead at 85

(CNN) --Art Carney, who paired with Jackie Gleason in the classic series "The Honeymooners" and won an Oscar for his role as a retired teacher traveling through America in the 1974 film "Harry and Tonto," has died. He was 85.

Carney passed away Sunday at his home in Connecticut, according to a spokesman for a Connecticut funeral home, and was buried in a private ceremony Tuesday.

"The family is very private, and that's why no one was notified until after the funeral," said Philip Appell, a spokesman for Swan Funeral Home in Clinton, Connecticut.

Though he appeared in more than 25 films -- and created the role of Felix Unger in the original Broadway version of "The Odd Couple" -- Carney, a veteran of the World War II invasion of Normandy, became famous playing sewer worker Ed Norton, Jackie Gleason's foil on the 1950s television comedy "The Honeymooners."

With Gleason, who played the blustery bus driver Ralph Kramden, the two embarked on get-rich-quick schemes and other tomfoolery in an effort to get ahead in life. Their wives -- Norton's wife Trixie (Joyce Randolph) and Ralph's wife Alice (Audrey Meadows) -- were endlessly patient with their husbands.

The role earned Carney three consecutive Emmy awards.

:sad:

R.I.P. Art.

When I was small I had a stuffed panda bear named Norton after Art's character in the Honeymooner's. I had him for AGES. He was my favorite toy. :sigh: :sad:

I hope this won't be an evil red X...

10044071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom