RHCP sue Showtime over "Californication" show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's a tough call right now. I've seen the first three episodes of Californication and its a very funny show. But, I do believe the show was largely inspired by the Peppers' album/song, so I can see where they're coming from. It's not the money, it's the principal of it all. Simply, if you borrow our idea, we wish to be compensated properly. Easy enough. The Chilis aren't selling out. Just protecting what's theirs. Hopefully, all parties will come to an agreement before things advance further.

Utoo said:
I'd say more of Streets vs. Elevation. Phenomenal vs. cheesy but catchy. Classic vs. people will argue it's only done to reign in a younger audience.

I never thought of Californication like that. :shrug: I've always considered it one of their best. Then again, I suppose the Streets v. Bad comparison could have a number of things.

Personally to me, their best songs are

1. Under the Bridge
2. Can't Stop
3. Wet Sand
4. Californication
5. Don't Forget Me

That's just me, though, I suppose.

Butterscotch said:

Like I said before, if they had openly mentioned the band, maybe put up a poster somewhere, they probably would have thought it was cool and even looked at it as a plug for the band.

Originally posted by MrPryck2U
But, I do believe the show was largely inspired by the Peppers' album/song, so I can see where they're coming from.

I agree. After the one episode I saw, the first episode, I actually sat through the credits looking for a mention of the Chili Peppers. I thought they must be involved. Maybe a band member is a producer or something. Nothing--not even a thank you in tiny letters unless I blinked and missed it. I then went online and googled it looking for a connection. Nothing. I couldn't understand it. How could a TV show have a title, a character name, and at least one bit of dialogue with lyrics worked into it as part of a conversation between characters, not even mention the band in the credits? Was their (the writers, producers, Duchovny's) adoration of the band supposed to be so obvious that they didn't think they needed to mention them? I don't know--I don't get it. As others have said, it's the principle.

phillyfan26 said:

I never thought of Californication like that. :shrug: I've always considered it one of their best. Then again, I suppose the Streets v. Bad comparison could have a number of things.

Personally to me, their best songs are

1. Under the Bridge
2. Can't Stop
3. Wet Sand
4. Californication
5. Don't Forget Me

That's just me, though, I suppose.

I'm with you. :up:

Malibu firefighters gain ground; rock star's home burned

Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, whose real name is Michael Balzary, told the Los Angeles Times by text message that his home had "burned to a crisp."

MrPryck2U said:
Hopefully, all parties will come to an agreement before things advance further.

:up:

I don't know the whole history of the "Californication" term, but it sounds like the show is going beyond that and potentially stealing characters and ideas. "Lawsuit" just might be the most uncool word in the dictionary, but it's also pretty lame not to at least acknowledge your inspirations/references. I'd be pissed if someone did that to me.

I've always thought David Duchovny is pretty smart...maybe he'll help work out something with the band before things get more heated...sport a RHCP logo in every scene, or something. Surely, they can think of a creative compromise.

Back
Top Bottom