Reznor should end the NIN format

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
I think it's time Reznor ends NIN. They've been using the same 'color schemes' forever, now. There's just nothing else they can add to their preferred emotional territory. Another Reznor screamed 'fucking' will be overkill 10 times over. It's time for Reznor to find a new outlet or just go into producing full time. Your thoughts.

Yeah I agree about the limited colour palette....but his music has always been a bit grim for me......I prefer my hard rock more optimistic sounding I guess. :|

Zoomerang96 said:
i KNOW helloangel will agree with you completely.

:sexywink:

Actually, I don't agree. Trent should not hang up the NIN moniker yet. He just needs to perhaps find less whiny-sounding ways to express himself without devolving his talent. He's a studio genius, no doubt. But I do think this latest album is a tad silly. Had he gone snarly like Broken, I think it might have captured more of an audience.

Last edited:
NIN should do an "unplugged" show.

Look at the success of Johnny Cash's "Hurt". Trent still has to remind people that he is a songwriter.

u2fp

HelloAngel said:
But I do think this latest album is a tad silly. Had he gone snarly like Broken, I think it might have captured more of an audience.
agreed. 'broken', 'wish'... :drool:

i'm a nin fan from way back. i collected the halo series up until just after 'the fragile' (which i thought was brilliant). i also totally agree with your take on 'with teeth'. i heard the song and almost laughed: "WITH-uh TEETH-uh!" wtf? and the album itself has made almost no impact on me. that said, i'm still hoping he'll put out something amazing under the nin name, i think he's still got it in him.

maybe the aggro-industrial rock thing just sounds dated at this point? i still enjoy some of it, but i wonder if that's more indicative of my age than anything else.

He needs to lighten up, expand outside of the poor tortured soul routine which was played out by 'The Fragile' on otherwise very good album.

Also he would be better served to use more guest singing as his voice is not aging well.

It's sort of the curse of forging such a distinct sound, you are a genius for a period and then you either become even more genius by changing succesfully, or you become a one trick pony.

I am a fan, but he is spinning his wheels creatively. And it takes him 5 years to make a damn record.

I don't wholly disagree with this. I think that it would be super interesting to see what something that isn't defined by the NIN moniker would sound like. And if he wants to hang up making records and touring, I know it will be great to see him do more producing and score some films. I predict that there will be one more NIN record (which he is already working on) and one more tour behind it. Then he will take the next career step, whatever that may be.

greenlight7-11 said:
I don't wholly disagree with this. I think that it would be super interesting to see what something that isn't defined by the NIN moniker would sound like. And if he wants to hang up making records and touring, I know it will be great to see him do more producing and score some films. I predict that there will be one more NIN record (which he is already working on) and one more tour behind it. Then he will take the next career step, whatever that may be.

You should look up the whole Tapeworm fiasco. When big ego'd yet insecure musicians like Trent and Maynard from Tool/APC get together to make a record, shit doesn't go well.

Some people are best left to work on their own. And you're right, he should do some producing and film scoring...that seems to be what a lot of solo artists do when they run out of creative steam with their own main ventures. The Lost Highway soundtrack was phenomenal.

But I do agree, TR does need a shot of something to improve things and make it fresh again for NIN. Perhaps it is a matter of the "industrial" thing becoming tired. I still love that whole scene, but very few are doing much with it. We just get the 80s knockoffs and bizarre Linkin Park-ish bands anymore.

I disagree with the sentiments regarding 'With Teeth' posted here thus far as well as what TR should do next.

I dig the new, "humble", and more health-conscious TR. His new mindset is all over the lyrics on the new record and it shows a maturing outlook artistically. He can't keep writing The Downward Spiral forever. The lyrics on With Teeth are so about the state of the political climate in this country today (see Getting Smaller; Everyday Is Exactly the Same; Hand That Feeds, of course) that it's relevant and questioning - something all good rock strives to be. For TR to come out being even slightly political is something totally new for him and I find it an exciting step forward.

His new consciousness might lead him to do some interesting music in the future, either under NIN or something else. I don't know much about the Tapeworm stuff but would love to hear the Zach de la Rocha sessions.

To all who are uncertain I would say give 'With Teeth' a few more listens before shelving it.

lmjhitman said:

i also totally agree with your take on 'with teeth'. i heard the song and almost laughed: "WITH-uh TEETH-uh!" wtf?

It's a good track...I think the eccentric way he sings the chorus (if that's what one would call it) is paying tribute to Mark E. Smith of The Fall.

withashout said:
I disagree with the sentiments regarding 'With Teeth' posted here thus far as well as what TR should do next.

I dig the new, "humble", and more health-conscious TR. His new mindset is all over the lyrics on the new record and it shows a maturing outlook artistically. He can't keep writing The Downward Spiral forever. The lyrics on With Teeth are so about the state of the political climate in this country today (see Getting Smaller; Everyday Is Exactly the Same; Hand That Feeds, of course) that it's relevant and questioning - something all good rock strives to be. For TR to come out being even slightly political is something totally new for him and I find it an exciting step forward.

His new consciousness might lead him to do some interesting music in the future, either under NIN or something else. I don't know much about the Tapeworm stuff but would love to hear the Zach de la Rocha sessions.

To all who are uncertain I would say give 'With Teeth' a few more listens before shelving it.

My guess is most people do not realize that some of the songs are political, although I think The Hand That Feeds is a pretty blatant political attack.

I'm aware of the political content on the album - however alot of the songs on it are still about his incessant bitching about the fact that shit is fucked up in his life and about his drug abuse. What I appreciate with him is that he is more willing than alot of artists to nakedly admit that he creates alot of his own dramas.

The shame about the de la Rocha sessions is that they happened so long ago and yet...nothing. I would have thought by now with the war and everything that Zach would've peeped his head out to say something. :shrug:

withashout said:

That might all be correct, but it's not the content that has become problematic with the NIN format. I think it's more the delivery process of whatever content they're on about (although, I think psycho-drama is still the main content) that's become the primary NIN problem, of late.

HelloAngel said:
You should look up the whole Tapeworm fiasco. When big ego'd yet insecure musicians like Trent and Maynard from Tool/APC get together to make a record, shit doesn't go well.
I didn't mean collaborations like Tapeworm, I just meant that it might be interesting if Trent released something simply as Trent Reznor and not NIN. Then it wouldn't necessarily have to fit all the perameters of NIN.

Last edited:
i think the new nin album is very good, it's completely different from his past works.
trent said in many recent interviews that the new album will not take too long to be released, and i can't wait to see how it will sound.

and...THEY WILL PLAY IN BRAZIL IN NOVEMBER, i can't believe...

Back
Top Bottom