Revolver Upstairs, Chapel St, Prahran, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do jest.

And it would be good to not be stuck here for that long.

Although I'm sure there's a lot of people who have stayed at Revs for a similar length of time.

Oh, gross.

I was actually talking about the idea of listening to music through Cochlear implants today, and how sound degradation affects music.

(for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpKKYBkJ9Hw)

And it's funny how I think the same music that would appeal to them is also that which is popular in nightclubs and raves; based on rhythm rather than melody, prominent bass/sub bass frequencies (allowing for music to be "felt" rather than hurt), structural simplicity...

...also can we NOT have this thread last eight months again? That'd be cool.

That would definitely be nice.

I was actually talking about the idea of listening to music through Cochlear implants today, and how sound degradation affects music.

(for example: )

Huh, guess what story I successfully pitched last week to the folks in charge of the doco for which I'm doing research work - the invention of the cochlear implant. As I was working on it I was wondering how speech actually sounded, and whether it was possible to really appreciate music with one.

To be honest the music part of that video just sounds like some ultra-shitty bootlegs I've heard in my time. :lol:

I'd love to! Let me know when you guys are going, I'm free any night next week.

Sweet! Shall we lock in Thursday? I'm seeing shows Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Already up to 8.

Saw Doc Brown last night. He's a former rapper turned comedian, starred in a few Ricky Gervais things. I was very conflicted about his show... he's really funny, but about a quarter of the show is about hip-hop and he's really quite ignorant about modern hip-hop.

Then I saw Cam Knight, which I'm reviewing... the bones of a good show are there but it was a complete mess.

Hey Serena, how's things? I'm...breathing.

@Pappy; is it just me or is Cam Knight consistently inconsistent? I've seen him a couple of times (in both stand up and improv formats), and sometimes he brings the goods and makes me laugh heartily, and other times he just leaves me out in the cold, sort of bored?

Cool, Thursday sounds good. Do we get tix on the door or would online be better?

I've just been watching Blackadder... dammit, the last episode of series 4 gets me every time. :sad:

Fortunately I have a pile of Ross Noble DVDs to cheer me up again.

@Pappy; is it just me or is Cam Knight consistently inconsistent? I've seen him a couple of times (in both stand up and improv formats), and sometimes he brings the goods and makes me laugh heartily, and other times he just leaves me out in the cold, sort of bored?

First time I've seen him. As I said the bones of a good show are there. Last night it didn't help that the room was noisy due to a few fans and a crap location (upstairs of a pub) and half the people in the crowd were drunk and kept talking through it, or putting themselves in the show when it wasn't warranted. A good comedian will not slip and let the crowd affect the flow of a show, but he did, and there were a few moments where the show lost focus. He had some good bits, and he was trying to give the show a bit of heart too, which was really good, but it was spoilt by bad atmospherics, a half-cooked structure and narrative, some poor bits (yes, we all know that some parents give their kids bad names, you've gotta be more creative if you're gonna mine that well, and he just came off as ignorant when talking about meditation "fancy word for I'm having a nap") and a lack of focus.

Cool, Thursday sounds good. Do we get tix on the door or would online be better?

I've just been watching Blackadder... dammit, the last episode of series 4 gets me every time. :sad:

Fortunately I have a pile of Ross Noble DVDs to cheer me up again.

We should be able to get them on the door, he's not a big name (though he should be).

Sweet let's do this.

What about dinner? You're going to have to remind me where the venue is located.

Well he's playing 930 at the Gin Palace, which looks like about a five minute walk from Chinatown. Wanna meet me on the corner of Little Bourke and Swanston at so 730, we can go and get some drinks (dumplings is BYO) and then go to this dumplings place in Chinatown. Food is cheap and good, nice restaurant, it's not hectic like Shanghai dumplings which everyone goes too. Or we could go to Mrs Parmas perhaps, which is on Little Bourke up near Spring, they've got good parmas and a great range of craft beer.

Hey Serena! I'm not bad, how are you?
Hey Ali. :wave:
I'm pretty good. Doing some flat hunting which I hate (does anyone actually like to?)

Hey Liam! Haven't been able to catch you in ages! Sounds like you're having a rough go of it. I hope things get better.

I'm sleep deprived but good. I have no idea who thought 3 am was an ideal work start time. :|

Well he's playing 930 at the Gin Palace, which looks like about a five minute walk from Chinatown. Wanna meet me on the corner of Little Bourke and Swanston at so 730, we can go and get some drinks (dumplings is BYO) and then go to this dumplings place in Chinatown. Food is cheap and good, nice restaurant, it's not hectic like Shanghai dumplings which everyone goes too. Or we could go to Mrs Parmas perhaps, which is on Little Bourke up near Spring, they've got good parmas and a great range of craft beer.

Charlotte, Alison, and I recently went to an amazing place near there that does Balkan food, Brutale, but it's probably a bit pricey and fancy for what we're after.

But at the same time damn do I want to go back.

I have no idea who thought 3 am was an ideal work start time. :|

Good god what sin did you commit!

Any or all of that sounds excellent. :up:

(And omg, Brutale is amazing too.)

Hey Ali. :wave:
I'm pretty good. Doing some flat hunting which I hate (does anyone actually like to?)

Ugh, moving always sucks. I guess actually looking for a place is only moderately painful, but the moving itself is one of my least favourite things. I hope I can stay where I am for a good while yet, although my work is probably going to move office space some time next year, and no one knows where it's likely to end up.

Back
Top Bottom