Review the Movie You Viewed: 9 Seriously Blind Basterds Hurt Up in the Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Camp

Fluffy little ditty about kids at a theater camp. Entertaining and loads of talent on display, but about what you'd expect. I enjoyed it.

And guess who's in it as a teenager? Anna Kendrick! I didn't realize it was her until the credits. She had one of the highlights of the film with "The Ladies Who Lunch." Girl can sing. Who knew?

Yentl

That's right, bitches. Motherfuckin' Yentl.

PAPA ... WATCH ME ..... FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And WTF over Mendes and Winslet? I always figured the only thing that would break them up was Oscar envy, but last year should have solved that. Oh well, I guess we won't be seeing her in anymore of his films.

Thank God.

Also, I just got done watching arguably the most entertaining and probably the best interpretation of Dracula this side of Nosferatu.

DRACULA5.jpg

Young Christopher Lee as Dracula, who weaves in an out of the story like The Joker in The Dark Knight, Peter Cushing as a rough-and-tumble, yet intellectual Dr. Van Helsing, who has this almost buddy cop-like dynamic with Michael Gough (Alfred from the Burton/Schumacher Batman films) are featured. Characters and situations from the source text are skewed or shifted around for the sake of the pulpy aesthetic, which may upset some purists, but I found it refreshing after seeing the same interpretation redone countless times over. I cannot recommend this enough. Hammer Horror FTW.

I dig Lugosi, but Gary Oldman's my favorite by a pretty wide margin at this point. Lee, Frank Langella, and Max Schreck (Nosferatu) are all solid though.

I can't name anyone either, so I'll just say Cate Blanchett.

In that scene in particular, yes, there is something operating that you don't see in their other key moments, particularly the aborted love scene.

Cate Blanchett almost looked too old for him in The Aviator; I think it would have been even worse in Gangs.

Yentl

That's right, bitches. Motherfuckin' Yentl.

PAPA ... WATCH ME ..... FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good movie. And impressive considering this was Babs' first time directing.

Also, MANDY PATINKIN is a god among men. I remember when he used to occasionally walk into Letterman's studio with Tony Randall pretending to need impromptu rehearsal space.

YouTube - 1993 - Tony Randall & Mandy Patinkin who sings Swanee River

Better than Roger Sterling's blackface, that's for sure.

YouTube - 1993 - Mandy Patinkin & Tony Randall

Motherfucker got PIPES.

YouTube - Mandy Patinkin - Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?

Randall just cracks me up to no end.

Cate Blanchett almost looked too old for him in The Aviator; I think it would have been even worse in Gangs.

Good point. On a related note, per IMDb:

Sarah Michelle Gellar was originally given the role of Jenny. However, with scheduling complications between the film and Gellar's TV series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997), she backed out. Martin Scorsese then chose Sarah Polley for the part but later went with Cameron Diaz after studios insisted he pick a more "bankable star".

There's always a bigger fish.

Bela Lugosi's dead.

Speaking of which, I started watching The Hunger last night, and that was the opening scene.

I turned it off after 30 minutes. LOL80s!

Re: Babs

I find her kind of generally annoying on principle, but when she opens her mouth to sing, I get all verklempt and profess my undying love for her.

I can't listen to this without bawling my fool head off (starting about 1:34 in, when she's duetting with herself).

YouTube - Barbra Streisand YENTL (Medley)

DiCaprio wasn't nearly as bad in that film as people remember, I just don't think they were ready to accept him as "tough" yet. While his subsequent Scorsese film perfs were all better, he does what is required of him here: vengeance on a long simmer. It's just that next to a very intense and entertaining DDL it's hard not to look unimpressive.
As much as I try, I just can't take DiCaprio seriously when he plays it 'tough'. That he looks about 15 years old doesn't help. His attempt to look grown up by sporting a bum-fluff beard is quite amusing. But credit where credit is due, he's very convincing when playing smug little gits.

I wasn't sure if Blanchett wanted to screw him or adopt him in the Aviator.

the-departed.jpg

'Give me back my lunch money!'

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father 9/10

A documentary made by the friend of a man who was murdered by his girlfriend, who it turns out, was pregnant. She goes in and out of prison, the baby is sometimes raised by his grandparents, and then everything goes to shit. I fought back tears, twice, but only because I have a baby boy the same age as the kid in documentary - not cause I'm some sort of pussy. But goddamn, it was something else.

Also, MANDY PATINKIN is a god among men. I remember when he used to occasionally walk into Letterman's studio with Tony Randall pretending to need impromptu rehearsal space.

OMG YES! They'd burst in through the side door in a panic, Dave would pretend to be surprised, etc. I used to love that.

Kind of hard to imagine Polley in that role, honestly. And I think it's safe to say that Gellar would have majorly stunk up the joint.

Not familiar with Polley, so I can't say, but Gellar would've been putrid.

Maybe Naomi Watts?

I could have done without Patinkin wearing the White Sox jacket, though.

Doesn't he know all the good Jews root for the Cubs?

I'm actually very close friends with a first cousin of his. They rarely talk, but they grew up together.

The North Side definitely seems to have more tribe members than the South side, though.

Anyone criticizing anything about Gangs should have to be taught English by Bill Cutting and his fucking knife.

I don't give a ten-penny fuck about your moral conundrum, you meat-headed shit-sack.

Watts wasn't even on the radar at that point. Mulholland Dr came out after they had started filming.

Uma Thurman? Too old?

True, but where was Sarah Polley from?

That could work, although I could see the age difference coming to play.

Polley got a lot of attention from her supporting work in The Sweet Hereafter (1997), and in 1999 appeared in Cronenberg's eXistenZ, Doug Liman's Go, and a very underrated film called Guinevere.

In the dramatic stuff, yes, but I just don't know that she's fierce enough to have pulled off the criminal aesthetic, including using her sexuality. Haven't seen her do anything like that in another film.

In the dramatic stuff, yes, but I just don't know that she's fierce enough to have pulled off the criminal aesthetic, including using her sexuality. Haven't seen her do anything like that in another film.

I think she reeks of sexuality,
Diaz is more of a comedic and physical actress.
I didn't buy her with that younger Leo, Polley would have pulled it off better and DDL could easily have pulled off the perv on her.

Back
Top Bottom