Review the Movie You Viewed: 9 Seriously Blind Basterds Hurt Up in the Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blood Simple. 6/10. I didn't like it. In hindsight, I can tell it's a Coen's brother's film, but I'm glad I didn't start with that one. And Frances McDormand being young and kinda cute is just wrong.

Shutter Island

The problem with knowing that a film has a twist of the OMFG variety invariably means that you start looking for it from the get-go and more often than not find it (see The Usual Suspects), greeting the revelatory conclusion with a, "well like, yeah."

Having said that, this film is so much more than it's twists and plot points. Right from the opening shot of a ferry emerging from a blanket of fog, Scorsese builds and maintains a completely unsettling mood. The cuts between DiCaprio and Ruffalo as they awkwardly explain the setup for us moviegoers furthers this; the editing in this film is top rate, as is the score.

What's amazing is how in your face the reality of the situation is, but as we are offered one rigid perspective on the proceedings we fail to take any of it into account. It's expert manipulation on par with Hitchcock by way of Kubrick and goes to show that despite the excellent craft Marty displayed in The Departed, he's capable of even more.

Shutter Island

the editing in this film is top rate, as is the score.

Nice review MonkeySkin...interesting to hear that you liked the score…I did as well! I liked it so much that I even downloaded it a few days after I saw it. A lot people said it was completely over the top, almost even comical, especially at the beginning when they are driving in the jeep up to Ashecliffe. I don't understand that...I loved when the music cut off abruptly after the camera cuts to the Deputy Warden.

I have seen some ridiculous shit in my life, but this takes the cake.

Not that I was expecting genius, but I enjoy watching nature/the universe kick some ass back at us humans - I mean, I really dug The Day After Tomorrow and Deep Impact as guilty pleasures.

It's not a good sign when you fast forward through the action scenes, like I did through the mega-earthquake in LA and the supervolcano in Yellowstone.

Also? Danny Glover is no Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact.

I have seen some ridiculous shit in my life, but this takes the cake.

Not that I was expecting genius, but I enjoy watching nature/the universe kick some ass back at us humans - I mean, I really dug The Day After Tomorrow and Deep Impact as guilty pleasures.

It's not a good sign when you fast forward through the action scenes, like I did through the mega-earthquake in LA and the supervolcano in Yellowstone.

Also? Danny Glover is no Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact.
suspension of disbelief did not last long when i saw it. sure, it's one of those earth being implausibly fucked by nature films and it's hard enough to suspend disbelief, but i don't really know what else to say.

Yeah, it's not a good sign when you're watching a movie that requires enormous suspension of disbelief and you're STILL going "oh, COME ON!"

Ha.

Also, it's good 30 minutes too long. GET ON WITH IT.

Goddamn, that shit was endless.

Somehow, a cheesy overblown Adam Lambert ballad over the ending credits is amazingly appropriate.

Gangs of New York 7.5/10

Runs alittle long, but I love it nonetheless. I noticed that in the begining of the film, Scorsese used very similar camera angles and cuts in Shutter Island which I forgot about because I haven't seen Gangs since I was alittle kid. I love the screenplay, alot of good lines in it like: "You don't kill a King in the shadows, you kill him infront of the whole court...so the everyone can see"

IDK, I like how DiCaprio delivered it.

And DDL...what a BAMF. I find it pretty funny that there is a Dunkin Donuts where the Five Points used to be.

DiCaprio wasn't nearly as bad in that film as people remember, I just don't think they were ready to accept him as "tough" yet. While his subsequent Scorsese film perfs were all better, he does what is required of him here: vengeance on a long simmer. It's just that next to a very intense and entertaining DDL it's hard not to look unimpressive.

DiCaprio wasn't nearly as bad in that film as people remember, I just don't think they were ready to accept him as "tough" yet. While his subsequent Scorsese film perfs were all better, he does what is required of him here: vengeance on a long simmer. It's just that next to a very intense and entertaining DDL it's hard not to look unimpressive.

It's certainly his first truly adult role, and it kind of shows. I don't have any problems with his performance as I do with Cameron Diaz, who's not only tremendously miscast but has little to no actual chemistry with DiCap whatsoever.

Recently watched McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Leo McCarey's Make Way for Tomorrow and loved the shit out of both. New York, New York is next up.

Diaz is awful in Gangs....and in pretty much everything else.

Forgetting Sara Marshall - Funnier than I was expecting, fairly entertaining.

Diaz is awful in Gangs....and in pretty much everything else.

Forgetting Sara Marshall - Funnier than I was expecting, fairly entertaining.

Cameron was good in Something About Mary, me thinks.

I haven't seen Forgetting Sara Marshall....needs to be added to Netflix queue

It's certainly his first truly adult role, and it kind of shows. I don't have any problems with his performance as I do with Cameron Diaz, who's not only tremendously miscast but has little to no actual chemistry with DiCap whatsoever.

Recently watched McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Leo McCarey's Make Way for Tomorrow and loved the shit out of both. New York, New York is next up.

Just wondering, who else would you suggest play Cameron's role? She wasn't very good, but she wasn't horrible either...just "eh", she brought nothing to the part, and there was no chemistry between her and Leo...

She was miscasted, as you said. She's a mediocre actress at best.

Gangs is a movie of hits and misses, that's how I look at it. Still better than 90% of whats out now.

Yeah, I don't think Diaz was bad per se, but they could have probably found someone a little more interesting. Hard to say who.

I do think there was some serious chemistry in the scene where he puts the knife to her throat and demands his necklace back. Very intense and well-played by both.

And after D-Cap gets the shit beat out of him, I thought Diaz did a good job in their scenes in the cave or wherever he was hiding out to recuperate.

Yeah, I don't think Diaz was bad per se, but they could have probably found someone a little more interesting. Hard to say who.

I do think there was some serious chemistry in the scene where he puts the knife to her throat and demands his necklace back. Very intense and well-played by both.

And after D-Cap gets the shit beat out of him, I thought Diaz did a good job in their scenes in the cave or wherever he was hiding out to recuperate.

I can't name anyone either, so I'll just say Cate Blanchett.

In that scene in particular, yes, there is something operating that you don't see in their other key moments, particularly the aborted love scene.

That was a good scene, well played by DiCap...

This is gunna sound weird but the whole time I was watching that I was like, "Who did the makeup? That looks pretty damn real!"

*Edit*
Had to look it up, thank you IMDB:
It was Sian Grigg, she has worked on ALL of Leo's movies...hrm, you learn something new everyday.

Anywhose...in random news, Kate Winslet broke it off with Sam Mendes...:|

Well...that came out of nowhere

GONY is actually my personal favorite Scorsese movie, for pure ambition, of course its a bit all over the place, but its entertaining as hell and well made. Also I for one was always impressed by DiCaprio's performance in this, not only in retrospect. It was the week of that movie's release that broke off my standard-issue American teenage-male hatred of DiCaprio, what with that and Catch Me if You Can showing how much range and talent he has, as well as a knack for pure-entertainment. And of course, he hasn't had a misfire of a performance since then.

And WTF over Mendes and Winslet? I always figured the only thing that would break them up was Oscar envy, but last year should have solved that. Oh well, I guess we won't be seeing her in anymore of his films.

Back
Top Bottom