Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently, there is a BBC Series called The Thick of It and in that series, Capaldi plays a character with the same name as the character he played in In The Loop.....so, guess they lifted the character and placed him in the film. Interesting.

Capaldi's brilliant and I'd watch The Thick of It purely to see his character, but my favorite character after rewatching In the Loop recently is James Gandolfini's General. Hell, their scene together may be my favorite thing in the whole movie.

Capaldi's brilliant and I'd watch The Thick of It purely to see his character, but my favorite character after rewatching In the Loop recently is James Gandolfini's General. Hell, their scene together may be my favorite thing in the whole movie.

Their scene together was fantastic, agreed. Honestly, every performance seemed great to me....hell, the My Girl actress was in there and she was good too.

I also watched Role Models yesterday, prior to In the Loop

Role Models was funny at times, though, thoroughly forgettable. I think the scene where Stifler introduces his kid to KISS made me laugh the most...."You see, Ronnie, his dick is the gun!" is pretty base but it still made me laugh.

Anyway, I watched these films in the correct order, that's for sure.

I have got to resume making my way through all of those classics. Sunrise has been sitting around my apartment for months now.

In The Loop

I don't know, probably the funniest film I've seen in years. Really smart, well acted, well written, just fucking perfect satire. Of course, when you take a step back it's also infuriating, but, yeah, I really really loved it. Peter Capaldi, who I don't think I've ever seen in anything else, was especially great.

it got good reviews when it was in the theaters awhile back

I just caught it myself on cable last week

and yes, this was one one the best things I have watched in a long time.

'Deadline'

Film with the late Brittany Murphy in it. Kinda eerie to see it now given what she does to herself and what is done to her in the movie (which I won't give away should anyone ever see this). Very strange movie, the ending was really confusing and odd. And it had some truly creepy, unsettling moments in it-you did know where the movie would go and yet you didn't quite know at times, either. Essentially Brittany's character spends a week in an old house-she's supposed to write and/or film some piece for something or other-and comes across a video camera with tapes of another couple that lived there. The husband filmed everything he and his wife did in their time there. And that's the main plot, and all the more I'll say. I kinda liked that it was more of a psychological suspense story instead of the usual blood and guts stuff. Wasn't too bad-not the best horror movie ever, but not bad.

'Alice In Wonderland'

The Tim Burton version. I've heard many "meh" reviews of this movie, but I dunno, I rather liked it myself. I liked how Alice wasn't like your typical female character-she actually had some independence and guts in her and doesn't go the route most female characters in movies do at the end. Of course, this is Burton's world, so the visual stuff is stunning and warped and beautiful and crazy, as always-since I was a child I've loved Burton's visuals in the movies of his I've seen, always been drawn to that sort of look. Johnny Depp's in here, too, and I liked his take on the Mad Hatter. It was surreal, I liked the theme relating to dreams and desires, and seeing Alice in her older years made for an interesting perspective and older people could relate to this (I understand this is based on one of the stories about her where she is older, I've never read it, though). I didn't mind it at all, I thought it was a nice fantasy film.

Angela

I'm confused. If Congo is the basis for the grading system, how can Congo be worth more or less than 1 Congo?

Or is 1 Congo the minimum rating for a movie you would not walk out on?

I like the idea, and I love saying, "Congo" and I recall being pissed as fuck when I saw that movie as I liked the book, but I can't figure out how to employ this! :scream:

The White Ribbon. 1/5

I give it 1 for the cinematography but there is no real plot and the NAZI connections are facile. It's also such a bore. I don't think I can tolerate nother Haneke movie again. I like this take (one of the very few negative reviews):

It’s an M. Night Shyamalan movie with a PhD. Or maybe an MA.

The Last Station:

3 1/2 out of 5.

This movie is not great but this has some good to great acting throughout and some humor. Definitely worth a rent.

I'm confused. If Congo is the basis for the grading system, how can Congo be worth more or less than 1 Congo?

Or is 1 Congo the minimum rating for a movie you would not walk out on?

I like the idea, and I love saying, "Congo" and I recall being pissed as fuck when I saw that movie as I liked the book, but I can't figure out how to employ this! :scream:

Lemon Melon and I discussed it at length last night, and have come to the consensus that you should do the following: 1) Realize that the word "Congo" doesn't necessarily refer to the film Congo. 1 Congo is the very base at which you would stay at a movie, not necessarily because you're enjoying the movie, but because you paid to see it. Which is pretty much what your second paragraph says. 2) Employing it, I guess, works if you think of it as a bell curve.

I watched a bunch of movies on my flights to Europe and back:

Napoleon Dynamite
For the first 15 minutes or so I was thinking, what the hell is this crap, but then the film's style has grown on me.

Burn After Reading
I can't say I'm a huge Coens fan, but this was a fairly entertaining pitch-black comedy with a great cast. Brad Pitt's bimbo character had me in stitches and IMO it's yet another proof that, like Jude Law, supporting roles is where he really shines (whereas both actors tend to be bores whenever they're given a lead role).

Clash of the Titans (2010)
I've been a huge Greek mythology fan since I was a teenager, unfortunately this was pretty crappy and Sam Worthington's Perseus might be the dullest hero ever. I also thought that ditching the central romance and making Perseus revenge-driven (and a dour whiny bitch to boot) instead was a bad move. Other characters do make the movie more watchable, I especially liked Mads Mikkelsen and Ralph Fiennes' take on Hades, though the trend to cast Hades as a villain generally annoys me. Special effects, whatever I could see of them on a tiny screen, were good but the CGI Medusa was terrible! I actually preferred the Medusa in the older film where she at least looked scary.

Clash of the Titans (1981)
Since this was also available, I decided to watch the older film for comparison. While I wouldn't call it a good movie either and the special effects look horribly dated, it was at least fun and had a kind of campy clunky charm. Perseus in this movie also wears one expression throughout, but at least he's pretty and scantily clad and free of angst :lol: And I had no idea that Maggie Smith was in this! :heart:

The Runaways
Really liked this film, mostly for the performances by Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie (my, hasn't she grown up). The story may be familiar and it doesn't dig too deep beyond the surface, but any film that reminds me how much I love music is fine in my books.

Away We Go
This movie entertained and annoyed me at the same time. I liked the main characters and there were some good comedy moments, but the film's determination to treat all other characters as either deplorable or pitiable was irritating, and there was too much of "characters saying sappy quirky-cute things over a twee indie soundtrack".

Vertigo
I'm glad I knew almost nothing about the story because it definitely caught me by surprise. I want to re-watch this film on a decent screen though, because the quality of this particular version onboard the plane was pretty bad.

'Napolean Dynamite' is a very odd little movie. Not something I think I'd watch regularly, but every so often it's a fun movie to watch.

My recent viewing adventures...

'The Crazies'

Takes place in my lovely state of Iowa! Woo! It's about a town taken over by zombie-esque types of people. Overall not too bad a movie, had some creepy, unsettling moments. The main storyline was the most chilling part of the whole thing, I liked figuring out how the people got this way and the horribly unethical means in which it happened-not too far off from a possible reality, unfortunately, and those are the horror movies I think are best, the ones that COULD happen. The way the town's problem was solved was shocking as hell, I wasn't expecting that, but I didn't like what happened after that specific event, I'd kind of have liked it if they'd just ended the movie after that event (I'm trying really hard to not give away what happens should someone want to see this).

'Daybreakers'

Very intriguing story idea. Vampire movie, they've taken over the world (you know, like they seem to have done in our entertainment culture, and on that note, the name of the main vampire in this movie is rather amusingly appropriate), humans refused to join their legions, so now they're being hunted down for their blood supply. I liked the themes brought up in this movie, the way you could apply that stuff to real life. Some ingenious methods used that allowed the vampires to move freely even in the daytime and go about their business (I also got a kick out of a character that was a vampire AND a politician. Ha, ha, cute). Interesting solutions to the blood problem, and I found the debate over the means of marketing such solutions, as well as the inner debate one of the characters had as to which side he was on, fascinating. It wasn't too bad a movie. Not really scary, more like an action film, but still rather interesting.

Both of these movies are extremely gory, though. Blood EVERYWHERE, stuff being stuck into parts of people's bodies in very painful ways (there's a scene in 'The Crazies' involving someone's poor hand that made me wince and look away from the screen for most of it...ick. Major ick), grotesque-looking people...for those who are squeamish, you've been warned.

Angela

The Dark Knight, still awesome, still my 4th favorite film of all time. 9.8
Up, Pixar = sure of a well done job and on this case a great one, 9.1
RocknRolla, sad that Ritchie still tries to repilcate the amazing ones "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch" using a story that doesn't even falls short of those films. It's an empty film. Below 6.0
Ratatouille, second best film Pixar ever done, behind Wall*E, 9.3

The Lovely Bones

This movie was better than I expected, and Whalberg looked very like he did in Boogie Nights :)D)........but Saoirse was wonderful..........the only downside I found was all the fantasy parts YET in a way it does not deflect from the whole movie at all.

a 9 out of 10 (1 down because of what I said there now)..........wonderful acting from everyone, gripping moments, and the soundtrack was so :up:

The Magdalene Sisters

You know what I hope? I hope that anyone who ever committed acts of cruelty in the name of religion is burning in the firey pits of hell.

Jesus freaking wept, bitches.

Saw a Bong Joon-Ho double feature tonight at the beloved revival theatre that Tarantino bought recently and has made some great technical renovations to. And, perhaps not surprisingly (as he's a big Asian cinema fan), the man was there himself tonight holding court. I noticed him a few rows behind me near the back in-between films, and then he walked up to the front to speak with some friends. He was definitely not trying to maintain a low profile, and you could hear him from pretty far away. During the second film he was the loudest laugher in the room, but it was more contagious than annoying.

Anyway, the films were the recently-released Mother and the older Bong Memories of Murder. The former is a flat-out masterpiece, and without a doubt one of the best things I've seen this year. Great lead performance, perfect blend of humor, suspense, and pathos, and a "full circle" final shot that just sent it off to the moon for me.

Memories of Murder was enthralling and very funny for about 3/4 of its running time, but the tonal shifts didn't seem as natural to me. It's hard not to draw a comparison to Zodiac, which does a much better job of portraying the obsession with catching a serial killer and the collateral damage to the personal lives of those doing the investigating.

Overall, a great night at the movies.

Nice to hear good things about Mother. I've been meaning to watch it for some time but haven't had a chance to go. This weekend, hopefully.

Avatar. 6/10. An average and cliche film given 1 extra point for being visually beautiful.

1408 - 8/10. Freaky horror flick with John Cusack, who I like eventhough he only plays John Cusack in every movie. Samuel L was kinda mellow for a change. I jumped a few times and found the "story" quite good.

^^I want to see Mother too. Sad thing is that I live in a place where my chances to see this in a theatre are zero.

Saw a Bong Joon-Ho double feature tonight at the beloved revival theatre that Tarantino bought recently and has made some great technical renovations to. And, perhaps not surprisingly (as he's a big Asian cinema fan), the man was there himself tonight holding court. I noticed him a few rows behind me near the back in-between films, and then he walked up to the front to speak with some friends. He was definitely not trying to maintain a low profile, and you could hear him from pretty far away. During the second film he was the loudest laugher in the room, but it was more contagious than annoying.

Anyway, the films were the recently-released Mother and the older Bong Memories of Murder. The former is a flat-out masterpiece, and without a doubt one of the best things I've seen this year. Great lead performance, perfect blend of humor, suspense, and pathos, and a "full circle" final shot that just sent it off to the moon for me.

Memories of Murder was enthralling and very funny for about 3/4 of its running time, but the tonal shifts didn't seem as natural to me. It's hard not to draw a comparison to Zodiac, which does a much better job of portraying the obsession with catching a serial killer and the collateral damage to the personal lives of those doing the investigating.

I've seen Memories of Murder and that was a good film and I love Zodiac but you have me intrigued to see Mother.

That's awesome.

Brothers

and holy shit I give this movie a whoppin 10 outta 10 alright! Just brilliant acting from Maguire and Gyllenhaal in this......................:up::up::up::up::up:

and Portman was lovely, but to me she was half good at acting........

oh boy, great movie! these two male actors should team up again some time, they just were....:drool:

Brothers

and holy shit I give this movie a whoppin 10 outta 10 alright! Just brilliant acting from Maguire and Gyllenhaal in this......................:up::up::up::up::up:

and Portman was lovely, but to me she was half good at acting........

oh boy, great movie! these two male actors should team up again some time, they just were....:drool:

Since you like this movie you should check out the original.

Brothers (2004)

Back
Top Bottom