Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jud_S%C3%BC%C3%9F.jpeg

"Jew Suss."

The story of how a scheming Jew grasped for power and defiled Aryan women with ruinous results in 18th century Germany, "Jew Suss" was seen by an estimated 100 million people across Europe and was made required viewing for the SS by Heinrich Himmler. After the war, director Harlan was tried twice for crimes against humanity, one of the few artists so prosecuted, and was acquitted both times.

this one has been getting some press recently

Veit Harlan made a few more films after the war, dying while on vacation in Capri.

In 1958, Veit Harlan's niece, Christiane Susanne Harlan, married filmmaker Stanley Kubrick, who was Jewish. She is credited by her stage name "Susanne Christian" in Kubrick's Paths of Glory (1957), during the filming of which she met the famous director. They remained married until Stanley Kubrick's death in 1999.

The 2010 documentary Harlan: In the Shadow of Jud Süß by Felix Moeller explores Harlan's motivations and the post-war reaction of his large family to his notoriety

Movie review: 'Harlan — In the Shadow of 'Jew Suss' ' - Los Angeles Times

Mutant Chronicles - 6/10 - I can't defend this as anytime of good movie, I mean, once Ron Perlman busts out an Irish accent, you know it's all downhill, but I still kinda sorta enjoyed some of it in a sci-fi geek sort of way. But not too much. Thomas Jane is god-awful. And WTF was Malkovich doing in this?

I just watched The New World. That was the first of Malick's films I'd ever seen, so I didn't quite know what to expect. I could maybe write everything I felt about the film here, but I think it would end up just coming off as really...just too much, I suppose...too hyped up when all I really want to convey was that I loved the movie a great deal. It was really beautiful, and I don't think I've ever seen a movie that made me feel that way. The editing and the sound worked in such a way that I've also never really experienced, and it was altogether an eye-opening view into what a movie can do without shoving dialogue into your face. Anyways, yeah, that was a really great movie.

I would have liked it more had I known it was a the Pocahontas story. I went into thinking it would be about the New World, ie Jamestown or the pilgrims, shit like that. I did like the ending though.

I just watched The New World. That was the first of Malick's films I'd ever seen, so I didn't quite know what to expect. I could maybe write everything I felt about the film here, but I think it would end up just coming off as really...just too much, I suppose...too hyped up when all I really want to convey was that I loved the movie a great deal. It was really beautiful, and I don't think I've ever seen a movie that made me feel that way. The editing and the sound worked in such a way that I've also never really experienced, and it was altogether an eye-opening view into what a movie can do without shoving dialogue into your face. Anyways, yeah, that was a really great movie.

This is the kind of transformative experience that I hope more people can have with films.

And I'm impressed that you watched Malick's arguably least-accessible film and still came way with a positive reaction.

This is the kind of transformative experience that I hope more people can have with films.

And I'm impressed that you watched Malick's arguably least-accessible film and still came way with a positive reaction.

If you're saying his other films are more accessible and still as good, then I'm quite anxious to see more.

And just to explain why I kind of pull The New World up first out of nowhere: I have a list based on the last round of "Interference's Favorite Movies" and the movies are in no particular order save for how they were posted in the thread, as I recall. The Bastard's list went first, and I think NSW's was next? And The New World was pretty high on it.

I liked 'The Shining', the movie. I thought it was really unsettling, and liked the psychological aspect of it all, too. Haven't read the book, though, so that probably factors in (I really want to, though, I keep trying to look for it in the library, no luck so far). I do agree about the psychological aspect sometimes being cheesy, though, definitely agree with it in regards to 'Psycho', but I merely chalk that up to the time period that movie came out in. Someone probably said that we needed to explain away Bates' motivations so audiences wouldn't be more upset or something (I still would've given anything to be among the very first group of people that ever saw that movie. I can't imagine what their reaction must've been).

I've also seen bits and pieces of 'Eyes Wide Shut', but can't really comment on that one beyond the fact that the piano music in it creeped me the hell out.

As for movie reviews...'Couples' Retreat'=1/10.

Uh. Yeah. This was not good. No (I wasn't the one who chose to see it, either, my sister and her fiance rented it along with some other movies). I'm not a big Vince Vaughn person, anyway, so that didn't help matters. The idea had some merit, I could've seen a good movie actually coming from the idea, but this wasn't it.

Angela

LOL, wow, really? Eh, her opinion, I guess, but I really don't understand why :shrug:.

I've never been a huge "romantic comedy" person. There's a couple here and there I enjoy-yes, they're generally pretty predictable, but there's been the occasional cute one-but for the most part I don't get into that genre much. And this one, while it was billed as a "comedy", was actually kinda depressing at times. Which, again, had someone else helmed the script and idea, might've been okay and made for an interesting movie, perhaps even a dark comedy or something. Just didn't work the way it was done here.

Angela

The Human Centipede

Is this film supposed to be original or something? I've been doing that for years, usually as "the middle".

No surgery required, just $15 and a clothespin for my nose.

Having now seen Blade Runner for the third time, I feel like I've kind of gotten a grasp on it, and really do get a great deal of enjoyment out of it, both on a visual and emotional level.

Also, watched In Bruges. Apart from feeling like the film was really, really claustrophobic (I mean, they kept talking about how beautiful this city was, and all I was seeing was close-ups of people's faces), I loved it. Definite keeper, and possible entry to favorite movies lists of the future.

Funny Girl

I don't know how I'd never seen this one.

I enjoyed the first half more than the second, but glad I finally saw it.

Angels and Demons. 5.8 / 10. Fuck Dan Brown. Strange that I found myself enjoying this @ the beginning, and then it turned to shit. Which is exactly how the book was. I'd rate the book actually lower though as at least in the movie you don't have to sit through Dan Brown's awful writing.

Thirteen - 6.8 / 10. It's like Kids, but in LA. And not as interesting. The characters were annoying. Actually, I found the whole movie kinda annoying, and somewhat disturbing. Some good acting though.

Funny Girl

I don't know how I'd never seen this one.

I enjoyed the first half more than the second, but glad I finally saw it.

Not a great movie, but a great performance. The second half is also the one that has "My Man", which is one hell of a show-stopper.

If you liked this you may want to check out On A Clear Day You Can See Forever, which has a strange plot for a musical (girl sees hypnotist to start smoking and begins recalling past lives). And Jack Nicholson is in it.

I watched The Thin Red Line last night for the first time since I saw it in the theater. Damn. So amazing and beautiful and horrifying.

'Superbad'

Goofy, random movie. Rather pointless, but again, some movies don't need to be life-altering. Kinda trailed at the end, but had some funny moments (the discussion over the name "McLovin" amused me quite a bit, and the bit with the pant stain was...unusual, to say the least), there was a nice chemistry between the main boys, and it was entertaining watching them try and get from point A to point B and seeing all the crazy stuff they went through. Like 'Zombieland', breezy and fun, a good movie to watch with some friends.

'Valentine's Day'

So I mentioned my general feelings on romantic comedies earlier, and now I see this, and I actually rather liked it. It was cute, funny (love the way Jennifer Garner's character behaved at the restaurant, I'm sure many a woman who's been in her shoes would love to do what she did) a bit surprising in spots, charming, and a little bittersweet, too (I'll admit, I teared up a bit at a couple of moments). I like the way they delved into all the good and bad aspects of love and its effect on all ages. The stories weaving together the way they did may have been a bit of a stretch (it's L.A., how often will there be those kinds of connections in a city that big? A town like mine, sure, totally believable, but L.A.?), but I'll let it slide. Hell of a lot of big names in here, and at times I wondered how the story would've fared with some lesser-known actors, but everyone did a good job and it was overall quite enjoyable.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom