Review the movie you just viewed (all the way to) 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerhour24

ONE love, blood, life
No one was taking the initiative... for the record I'm watching It's a Wonderful Life atm.

Whatever you misconstrued to make your joke seems to have gone undetected by me.

La scaphandre et le papillon

(in english for you gringos) the diving bell and the butterfly

great film, that's what movie making is all about

9 out of 10

Sent Star Wars fan to see Tron.

Review:

STF: Not a great movie.
Me: Why?
STF: You will have to go and see it. :doh::heart:

You people can't ruin such an awesome movie. And I'm sorry but atm to most people in text lingo is at the moment, we don't all fill our heads with your kind of acronyms. :angry:

You people can't ruin such an awesome movie. And I'm sorry but atm to most people in text lingo is at the moment, we don't all fill our heads with your kind of acronyms. :angry:

Easy Bauer, we're just funnin'.
Everybody knows Its A Wonderful Life is a classic.

Merry Christmas movie house...

I know, my angry face was also sarcastic.

Merry Christmas dirty-minded Blue Crackers!!

Gotta agree with what LMP said about True Grit. It is the brothers' most straightforward film, and if it weren't for a few touches with the screenplay and some of the action you could easily pass it off as being made by any number of other filmmakers. It didn't disappoint me though, I wasn't expected A Serious Man or The Big Lebowski in the old west... though both those style would be quite interesting in a Western. The three leads are top notch, I've never bothered to watch the original but I highly doubt John Wayne's take on the role is anything like Bridges' Cogburn. He manages to be despicable and completely endearing within the span of a minute, but he's clearly a good man that hasn't handled the world in the right way and has his own set of "morals". Damon surprised me here, I usually enjoy his performances but I wasn't expecting the nuances in his role here, he's kind of heartbreaking, and yet a douche as well. Hailee at first rubbed me the wrong way as the cliche kind of precocious child role but eventually she broke out of simply having strong annunciation and actually showed some fire and range behind her wise-beyond-her-years dialog. Carter Burwell's adaptations of 19th century hymns made for a perfect musical backdrop to the film. The one thing that disappointed me was Deakins' photography. Maybe we come to expect too much from him, maybe it's because the last Western he lensed was the gorgeous Assassination of Jess James, maybe the brothers Coen wanted the movie to look very traditional, but it was quite generic outside of a few standout shots (most of which were nighttime scenes). Though I will say that the last shot is quite memorable. The climax of the film was quite exciting and I really loved the chemistry between all the actors and the dialog throughout the film. Special mentions for the great bit bad guy performances from Josh Brolin and the not-billed but probably more impressive Barry Pepper.

The one thing that really surprised me was seeing Steven Spielberg's name listed as a producer in the credits, somehow I missed hearing about this collaboration.

a highlight of that film was when ultraviolet - light my way featured on the film soundtrack

its one of the few occassions where u2's music is actually featured on a movie

the other band which doesnt feature their music on movies are the Beatles

I was really, really excited when that started playing, especially as it isn't one of their better known tracks, and it fit the scene's energy really well. Good point about the Beatles, though I was similarly excited when "Baby You're a Rich Man",my favorite Beatles track no less, starting playing during the final scene/credits of The Social Network.

Not really a review, he mentioned a few thoughts in the random thread the other day.

Yes. I should start writing up more reviews/well thought out impressions, but I haven't had the focus or energy to follow suit.

I don't know exactly what you were expecting from Deakins' photography, but I thought it was better than "generic." Aesthetically I found it closer to No Country than Jesse James, though it's not like the aims of True Grit and the latter are even close to one another, are they?

No I wasn't suggesting it should look akin to Jesse James, just that it wasn't nearly as distinct as JJ, nor No Country for that matter.

Though I will add the qualifier to my mention of it being conceivably made by different filmmakers that I can see why they were drawn to the story and it's characters.

Damn my grammar mistake, I was trying to write quickly and not spend a lot of time on the blue crack tonight... so far that's also failed. :doh:

:wink: typically I welcome it as a distraction, but sometimes it's too distracting, like when I intend to be doing other things. Like the song that's sitting on my piano crying at me / judging me for not finishing it.

Ah. I knew I shouldn't have asked. Didn't know you were all such big fans of The Human Centipede

centipede.gif

Gotta agree with what LMP said about True Grit. It is the brothers' most straightforward film, and if it weren't for a few touches with the screenplay and some of the action you could easily pass it off as being made by any number of other filmmakers. It didn't disappoint me though, I wasn't expected A Serious Man or The Big Lebowski in the old west... though both those style would be quite interesting in a Western. The three leads are top notch, I've never bothered to watch the original but I highly doubt John Wayne's take on the role is anything like Bridges' Cogburn. He manages to be despicable and completely endearing within the span of a minute, but he's clearly a good man that hasn't handled the world in the right way and has his own set of "morals". Damon surprised me here, I usually enjoy his performances but I wasn't expecting the nuances in his role here, he's kind of heartbreaking, and yet a douche as well. Hailee at first rubbed me the wrong way as the cliche kind of precocious child role but eventually she broke out of simply having strong annunciation and actually showed some fire and range behind her wise-beyond-her-years dialog. Carter Burwell's adaptations of 19th century hymns made for a perfect musical backdrop to the film. The one thing that disappointed me was Deakins' photography. Maybe we come to expect too much from him, maybe it's because the last Western he lensed was the gorgeous Assassination of Jess James, maybe the brothers Coen wanted the movie to look very traditional, but it was quite generic outside of a few standout shots (most of which were nighttime scenes). Though I will say that the last shot is quite memorable. The climax of the film was quite exciting and I really loved the chemistry between all the actors and the dialog throughout the film. Special mentions for the great bit bad guy performances from Josh Brolin and the not-billed but probably more impressive Barry Pepper.

The one thing that really surprised me was seeing Steven Spielberg's name listed as a producer in the credits, somehow I missed hearing about this collaboration.

Yeah I was like "Steven Spielberg has his producer finger in everyone's pie". I differ in that I loved the cinematography. The framing on a big screen in the theatre and the harshness of it was definitely nomination worthy. I still love Robert Richardson for Shutter Island but I think it's time Deakins got the award. You would think No country for old men would be enough by now. :lol:

1994: The Shawshank Redemption (lost to John Toll, Legends of the Fall)
1996: Fargo (lost to John Seale, The English Patient)
1997: Kundun (lost to Russell Carpenter, Titanic)
2000: O Brother, Where Art Thou? (lost to Peter Pau, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
2001: The Man Who Wasn't There (lost to Andrew Lesnie, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
2007: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (lost to Robert Elswit, There Will Be Blood)
2007: No Country for Old Men (lost to Robert Elswit, There Will Be Blood)
2008: The Reader (lost to Anthony Dod Mantle, Slumdog Millionaire)

I loved the acting, dialogue, cinematography, humour, action and directing. I know I'll be watching this one lots because I do the same for Miller's Crossing. When you get well constructed scenes throughout a movie runtime it's easy to rewatch. It's the way I feel about many Kubrick movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom