Review the movie you just viewed (all the way to) 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw True Grit tonight, though I'm probably too intoxicated to say anything particularly insightful (I miss my late-night drunk interference rants, aw). Far better than I expected. Top tier Coens personally, despite being adapted material and lacking a particular visual panache we've come to expect from the bros. and Deakins. Which isn't to say it isn't a gorgeous film. It is, merely far more traditional by design, at least in terms of superficial structure and visual composition. The design still allows for some incredibly evocative imagery at times (I'm thinking particularly of the snake pit near the end, and the opening shot) and I think the classical nature of the piece is what fuels a lot of the film's more complex goings-on. I think this adaptation could only work as well as it does being as faithful as it is, and as traditional cinematically, since it's that framework which lends contrast to the film's examination of (sometimes shockingly objective) violence and of religion as a vessel for both righteous aggression and fearful trepidation of God's wrath. As such it's somewhat more revisionist than it initially lets on. In its own way I think it's a good companion to both No Country and A Serious Man even if it's less formally daring than either.

Anyhow, I'm extremely impressed with the Mattie Ross character, at least as how she's performed (beautifully) here. She captures a particular spirit of the Old West and all its thematic profundity in a way I haven't quite seen before... or maybe more accurately, seen executed so well. Bridges is fantastic. The language (even if drawn mostly from the novel) is exceptionally chewy and rich, again a sort of companion this time to David Milch's "backwards Shakespeare" of Deadwood. I found Damon's character particularly interesting, especially given his bizarre sexual implications early on.

A Bridge Too Far. Lots of big names with little individual screen time. Quite good, albeit depressing. I think my favorite part was when Redford's character is leading his group across the river. Everything's blowing up all around and he's saying "Hail Marys". Don't know the history of this particular group of battles very well, but I was kinda let down when the explosives didn't go off.

I enjoyed True Grit quite a bit too. I guess about a 7.5/10 for me. I may sit through it again.

I watched it again yesterday. I enjoyed it even more than last time. I would revise it up to a solid 8/10.
This will be the Coen's most successful film to date. I still liked No County a little more.
I think Bridges is just as good in this as he was in Crazy Heart. And yes the young actress is perfect.

Barry_Pepper_3.jpg

Barry Pepper is exceptional as Lucky Ned. The whole cast is great.

I am hoping this can beat The Social Network for Best Picture. Not likely.

Blogger David Poland seems to think so, but I think he's a little deranged.

Then again, it also has like a 95% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the older Academy members will probably like it more than The Social Network.

Since the Coens recently won three Oscars each, I imagine that Fincher still takes director. It sure ain't going to Tom Hooper, even if The King's Speech wins the big prize. Or David O. Russell.

Tron Legacy

The visuals and set designs in this movie were jaw-droppingly amazing :drool: Most of the time, they managed to distract me from the boredom of never-ending exposition that kicks in after the big gladiators-style fight is over. As good as the effects are, the "youngification" of Jeff Bridges in the opening scene was still fake and creepy; I was ok with the effect when it came to the character of Klu since he's after all an artificial construct, but when it comes to the actual human character... just no. Despite the quasi-mystical rubbish his character spouted, Jeff Bridges brought a much-needed humanity and warmth to the movie and Olivia Wilde's character had a nice exotic presence, but where did they find the guy who played the main character? His dog had more onscreen charisma and personality :yuck:

I like Garret Hedlund, but I might be biased because of how much he impressed me in Friday Night Lights, which was the first role I saw him in.

Also, there's no way True Grit wins Best Picture, it's reviews are that it's good, not exceptional, and if even the Academy can recognize the Coens for their more out there fare, they too will recognize that TG is much less distinctive than most of their films. The only thing that can upset TSN for the win is The King's Speech, but like laz said it seems almost certain that Fincher will win director.

I think there are about 6000 voters.
and with 10 nominees, True Grit has a shot for best picture, it won't be the favorite, I think TSN will be.

I hope Toy Story 3, Black Swan, and 127 Hours all get best pic noms, too.
That way they can deflect TSN votes and give True Grit a betting chance.

True Grit is getting better reviews than are being represented in this forum.

Also, there's no way True Grit wins Best Picture, it's reviews are that it's good, not exceptional, and if even the Academy can recognize the Coens for their more out there fare, they too will recognize that TG is much less distinctive than most of their films. The only thing that can upset TSN for the win is The King's Speech, but like laz said it seems almost certain that Fincher will win director.

So you think a safe movie like The King's Speech can win, but not TG because it's too safe for the Coens?

Doesn't make a lot of sense. One can look back to 2006 when The Departed won largely because it was the biggest crowd-pleaser of the nominees, even though its director had done more ambitious things in the past. Marty was certainly overdue but they didn't have to give it BP as well.

I like True Grit as the best picture for my tastes, but ultimately voters will probably look at The Social Network as more relevant. Fincher is due for an Oscar and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was too much like Forrest Gump to get rewarded, but TSN will.

i like true grit as the best picture for my tastes, but ultimately voters will probably look at the social network as more relevant. Fincher is due for an oscar and the curious case of benjamin button was too much like forrest gump to get rewarded, but tsn will.

ia

there is no correct answer to that, and there never will be.

I was under the impression she had schizophrenia...her positive symptoms were exacerbated by the stress of becoming the prima ballerina.

But like you said, there are many interpretations

I did watch it a second time. I completely agree she is schizophrenic.
I don't believe she was injured, or died at the end.
If anything, she had a complete snap from reality.

My opinion of the film on the second viewing did not go up, I did get some different takes from my first impressions. Without Kunis contributions this film would be completely forgettable.

^I think Portman is a bit overrated...sure, she did an excellent job, my my favorite parts of the movie were Mila's scenes

I don't think Nina died at the end of Black Swan either...

no death? no orgasm?

well, sorry nobody was injured, she is not really bleeding during her dancing, only at the end does the wound become a gaping hole and bleed her out

how and when would the wound have happened?

we can agree on 3 out of 4.

White Material, True Grit, and I agree Never Let Me Go is not good at all.
and on the forth, Swan, I give it about a 7, and I guess you are at a 9+

So we are not quibbling over that much on our film tastes. :shrug:

^I think Portman is a bit overrated...sure, she did an excellent job, my my favorite parts of the movie were Mila's scenes

I don't think Nina died at the end of Black Swan either...

I agree about Portman, I don't dislike her, she did the most she could with what she was working with. I think the film has shortcomings that are not her fault.

I think her best work is in Closer, I wished she had won a supporting Award for that one. I also, liked her a lot in V for Vendetta,

I'm not trying to quibble. I merely think your BS reading is way off, and I don't see a whole lot of ambiguity on the point. Oh well though. I'm glad you enjoyed White Material and True Grit.

No, she definitely dies.

Anyway, Never Let Me Go is kind of shit.

Fuck, I just DLed it and was looking forward to checking it out. But since the response as been divisive with some very passionate advocate it's possible I'll like it.

I'm not 100% convinced that your reading of Black Swan's ending is correct, either. Since most of the film takes place in her head, why should we assume that the ending doesn't as well.

Certainly room for argument.

I don't think we spoiled anything here. (for Black Swan) Since so much is wide open to interpretation. and reasonable people can not even agree on what they just viewed. I will say it is worth watching, enjoyable enough.

Some people think Cassell is not that good. After a second viewing, I think he did just fine. He (the character) had to walk a thin line. Some people think he crossed it. I don't. Ryder is very good, not in it very much though.

I never tried to connect all the dots in The Fountain, there was a pretty good explanation given in here. I may give it a rewatch with that in mind.

My problem with Swan is that it in neither neither fish nor fowl (no pun intended).

For the film to have a certain impact some people seem to be making a more linear story of it than it is, a la The Wrestler.

I hate to sound trite, but Everyone Else was just a lovely little gem of a film. Without a doubt one of the best scripts of the year.

I'm definitely going to see Maren Ade's first film.

So you think a safe movie like The King's Speech can win, but not TG because it's too safe for the Coens?

Doesn't make a lot of sense. One can look back to 2006 when The Departed won largely because it was the biggest crowd-pleaser of the nominees, even though its director had done more ambitious things in the past. Marty was certainly overdue but they didn't have to give it BP as well.

I'm saying that the Academy has recognized the Coens darker, more daring work and did so quite recently, a filmmaker would have to hit a huge home run to win Best Picture twice within the span of a few years, and while True Grit is a strong film, and perhaps the best straight-up Western in a long time, it isn't a towering enough achievement for them to win again, particularly in the face of the Social Network. I only think that The King's Speech could win if the older contingent of voters are turned off by TSN, or the voters feel both films are worth top recognition this year.

I am counting (hoping) on some of the younger-type voters going for the hipper (lezzie-scene) Swan, 127 Hours, or even Toy Story 3.

I'm saying that the Academy has recognized the Coens darker, more daring work and did so quite recently, a filmmaker would have to hit a huge home run to win Best Picture twice within the span of a few years, and while True Grit is a strong film, and perhaps the best straight-up Western in a long time, it isn't a towering enough achievement for them to win again, particularly in the face of the Social Network. I only think that The King's Speech could win if the older contingent of voters are turned off by TSN, or the voters feel both films are worth top recognition this year.

Well I don't know what kind of home run you're looking for, but a 96% RT rating combined with a much better-than-expected box office is a good sign. And reports from Academy screenings are that members are eating this shit up. There's also a chance it gets more nominations than anything else:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Actor
Best Actress (maybe)
Best Supporting Actor (maybe)
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction/Production Design
Best Editing
Best Sound Editing (maybe)

The King's Speech will probably end up with 6 at the most, same with The Social Network and Black Swan. The only one that could get as many is Inception and most of those will be the techs.

All I can say is that if Steinfeld and Damon both get nommed, things are going to look pretty good for True Grit's BP chances.

i could see both getting in, but then I could see both getting snubbed as well, Damon being more likely given his nom last year. I also doubt they recognize it in all of those tech categories, dont get me wrong, I loved TG, I just dont see it as a big threat to TSN or TKS.

my predictions for it, and the ultimate winners in those categories)

Locks:
Picture - TSN/TKS
Director - Fincher
Supporting Actress (silly, she's the lead) this one could go many ways
Actor - Firth
Adapted Screenplay - Aaron Sorkin
Cinematography - can also go many ways

Art Direction is possible, though the bulk of it is sot on location, so it could miss here

As for sound editing, though I would certainly include it, how often do they chose subtlety in this category?

I don't think it gets in editing on merit, but then if the voters see it as a viable Picture candidate, it may very well make it in here. It's late and I'm sick, who do you think is getting in for editing? Black Swan, Social Network, 127 Hours, Inception if I had to guess.

And by homerun I mean something that the voters could see as putting No Country For Old Men to shame, which I dont think True Grit does, and No Country is not my favorite film of theirs.

you have shared your thinking, but I don't think those things really matter.

What matters are the other films in contention for 2010.

I like No country more than True Grit. I think Grit is more main stream. It is by far the Coen's most successful film. There really is nothing distasteful in it. It is great to look at and has a cute kid. Those are reasons why it should do well. Not to mention a (wee) bit of a tear jerker.

i could see both getting in, but then I could see both getting snubbed as well, Damon being more likely given his nom last year. I also doubt they recognize it in all of those tech categories, dont get me wrong, I loved TG, I just dont see it as a big threat to TSN or TKS.

my predictions for it, and the ultimate winners in those categories)

Locks:
Picture - TSN/TKS
Director - Fincher
Supporting Actress (silly, she's the lead) this one could go many ways
Actor - Firth
Adapted Screenplay - Aaron Sorkin
Cinematography - can also go many ways

Art Direction is possible, though the bulk of it is sot on location, so it could miss here

As for sound editing, though I would certainly include it, how often do they chose subtlety in this category?

I don't think it gets in editing on merit, but then if the voters see it as a viable Picture candidate, it may very well make it in here. It's late and I'm sick, who do you think is getting in for editing? Black Swan, Social Network, 127 Hours, Inception if I had to guess.

Well Damon and Steinfeld can certainly both be snubbed, though the former is contending for a weak category this year. The latter is being pushed by the studio for Supporting, which is complete bullshit, so she may miss out completely.

Because True Grit is a period piece, it not much of a stretch to contend in categories like art direction, and even something like costumes, regardless of how understated the work is. It feels classic, and that's what's going to get people to put it on the ballot. If it's a frontrunner, voters are going to write it down for almost everything, that's how it works.

Conversely, if you see something like The King's Speech get stuff like editing, costumes, art direction, score, etc. in addition to its likely acting noms than that could be the one to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom