Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baggo Billgo

bilbo-bio.jpg

I feel...thin.

Sort of stretched, like...butter scraped over too much bread.

Since there was love expressed for The Sweet Hereafter, a Russell Banks book, did anyone see Affliction with Nick Nolte? Man, that was harrowing. (Also, another excellent book.)

you gave it some stars

I think it was your last sentence, that left me with the impression, of less than enthusiastic.

Oh, okay. Like Laz said, I think film lovers would appreciate it a lot more than the average filmgoer, but there's enough there to entertain everyone.

I would recommend

Short Cuts for your 2nd

Thanks, I was leaning toward that one as well.

Since there was love expressed for The Sweet Hereafter, a Russell Banks book, did anyone see Affliction with Nick Nolte? Man, that was harrowing. (Also, another excellent book.)

Another great film. I think Nick Nolte was really robbed of an Oscar that year (Roberto FUCKING Benigni?!), though it was nice that Coburn won.

How's Banks as a writer? I haven't had a chance to read any of his work.

Another great film. I think Nick Nolte was really robbed of an Oscar that year (Roberto FUCKING Benigni?!), though it was nice that Coburn won.

How's Banks as a writer? I haven't had a chance to read any of his work.

He's great. Both books referenced here were outstanding.

I saw two movies last night

Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I was hesitant going in. I did not like the Johnny Depp, Fear and Loathing movie , all that much. I was concerned this would be in that vein.

Well, it was a decent documentary. Hunter, was a bit of an enigma. There is a lot of video and film of him. There are interviews with contemporaries, his ex-wife, son. I believe this the best anyone could do with him. I have a much better feel for him now.

7/10

Trumbo

Adapted by Christopher Trumbo from his Off-Broadway play about his father, "Trumbo" is a witty, angry and verbose documentary about screenwriter Dalton Trumbo. After citing the First Amendment and refusing to testify during the McCarthy Senate hearings on communism, Trumbo became one of the Hollywood 10, imprisoned for political beliefs and forced to give up their livelihoods - or write using assumed names.

Trumbo, belatedly recognized for "Roman Holiday" and "The Brave One," among others, was finally able to put his name on a film when Kirk Douglas championed him with 1960's gladiator drama "Spartacus."

Using Trumbo's letters, statements, speeches and scripts, director Peter Askin creates a rich portrait of a cantankerous, principled man of words.

Michael Douglas, Liam Neeson, Joan Allen and David Strathairn are some of the actors giving staged readings, though Donald Sutherland's passionate rendition of a speech from Trumbo's 1971 film "Johnny Got His Gun" (based on his novel) is worth the price of admission.

I lifted some one's review.

I think this is an important film.
If you have seen, "Good night and Good luck"

well, these are the real people, paying the real heavy price.

8/10

Gonzo, was more entertaining? This film is more significant.

I think I've read 3 of Banks' books. I really loved both The Sweet Hereafter and Affliction, but didn't care for the third one I read, The Rule of the Bone.

Intolerable Cruelty - Saw this a few days ago. Someone once told me this was the funniest movie they'd ever seen. I now think that person is an idiot, but it was still extremely entertaining and fairly humorous on its own right. Interesting characters and plot. Not exactly the best Coen bros flick, but still decent enough.

The Darjeeling Limited - Watched this last night. In retrospect, it's probably a bit samey in plot as Wes Anderson's other recent films (extremely quirky rich characters find themselves inside of a plot mixing every day life and the fantastic), but I still found it quite enjoyable. As with all of his films, it's extremely interesting to just watch and see how he frames shots, colors used, etc. If you're a Wes Anderson fan, it definitely satisfies. If you're a guy, it's worth seeing for Natalie Portman's "acting" in the opening short....

Agree with your remarks re: both films, u2pm. Intolerable is better than most modern, generic comedies, but by Coen standards its a bit subpar. Clooney is as funny and cartoony as he was in O Brother, though. And yeah, whoever said this was the funniest movie ever has a screw loose, or hasn't seen Lebowski, Caddyshack, Yong Frankenstein, Airplane, etc.

Darjeeling was a bit of an improvement over Life Aquatic as an overall film, but not sure if it had as many memorable scenes. Still, credit to Wes that he stepped away from the zany extended cast of misfits and focused on jus a few relatively normal chars. One thing to point out, I was a tad put off by the travelogue nature of the setting, which seemed a little British Empire colonial at times (as opposed to American Empirical, the name of Anderson's productin company).

Btw, I'm writing this on my iPhone in the middle of A 2-day train trip. Becuz that's how much I care.

I was wondering why you sounded like Chekhov until the last sentence.

Agree with your remarks re: both films, u2pm. Intolerable is better than most modern, generic comedies, but by Coen standards its a bit subpar. Clooney is as funny and cartoony as he was in O Brother, though. And yeah, whoever said this was the funniest movie ever has a screw loose, or hasn't seen Lebowski, Caddyshack, Yong Frankenstein, Airplane, etc.

Darjeeling was a bit of an improvement over Life Aquatic as an overall film, but not sure if it had as many memorable scenes. Still, credit to Wes that he stepped away from the zany extended cast of misfits and focused on jus a few relatively normal chars. One thing to point out, I was a tad put off by the travelogue nature of the setting, which seemed a little British Empire colonial at times (as opposed to American Empirical, the name of Anderson's productin company).

Btw, I'm writing this on my iPhone in the middle of A 2-day train trip. Becuz that's how much I care.

Oh, and, moron, where is your trip to/from?

and speaking of S H

I will also recommend Atom Egoyan's "Exotica"

it has a creep factor to it
but, things are not always what they seem.

Exotica is excellent.

As is Felicia's Journey - I am not sure how many people have seen that one but it is almost as good and definitely worth seeing.

The last thing I saw of Egoyan's was Ararat, which I thought was pretty bad. Disappointing, because the story is very compelling but not well known considering the scope of the calamity that happened.

Interestingly (or not), Egoyan was the keynote speaker at my undergraduate convocation and the lead actor in Ararat graduated at the same time, and was in a class or two that my best friend was in at the time. I don't think he had any real acting experience before (but fit the bill).

I can barely, navigate and read on my iPhone.

You, punctuate, capitalize and spell properly, impressive.

Most impressive.......

ok credit really should go to my secretary.

I just left Chicago this afternoon and am on the way to Los Angeles. It's part of my quest to be the anti-NSW.

See you guys later. I'm off to not masturbate to pictures of hirstute women and their animals.

The Ruins

You know, after reading and enjoying the hell out of the book, I had very low expectations for the movie, but wanted to see how they adapted it.

All things considered, it wasn't bad. They cut some important theme-ish things out for the movie, and changed a few plot points, but I thought they did a decent job with the movie. For a gory horror flick, anyway. I don't watch a lot of them.

I saw Elizabethtown last night, was about time! Liked it more than I thought I would, Orlando and Kirsten were really good but I think the movie would have been better if it had been shorter. The music was great though, I think I need to get the soundtrack! :up:

Tropic Thunder - 7.5/10

I went into this knowing what elements of the movie were sheer genius (Downey, Jr.) and which were pure filler (hey, ho Jack Black!). But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't cracking up over the brilliant points of the movie. The hilarious cameos were icing on the cake.

tropicthunderpostersas1.jpg

This is the summer comedy you want to catch this year. Fuck Zohan.

Tropic Thunder - 7.5/10

I went into this knowing what elements of the movie were sheer genius (Downey, Jr.) and which were pure filler (hey, ho Jack Black!). But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't cracking up over the brilliant points of the movie. The hilarious cameos were icing on the cake.

tropicthunderpostersas1.jpg

This is the summer comedy you want to catch this year. Fuck Zohan.

Free screening?

Cool! I'm really looking forward to seeing that come August.

My friend called me to see if I was interested in free tix for Mamma Mia... nice gesture, but no.

I only would've seen it if the lady friend was interested, but she's doing something tomorrow night anyway, so there's that.

I'm still neck-deep in my Woody/Scorsese-athons.

I'm still neck-deep in my Woody/Scorsese-athons.

What Woody are you on?

Within the past month my friend and I have watched: Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Husbands and Wives and Manhattan Murder Mystery.

I think Annie Hall is up next for us (which I saw a long time ago), and I want to re-watch Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask.

LeMac, stop acting like you talk to girls in real life.

The Ruins

You know, after reading and enjoying the hell out of the book, I had very low expectations for the movie, but wanted to see how they adapted it.

All things considered, it wasn't bad. They cut some important theme-ish things out for the movie, and changed a few plot points, but I thought they did a decent job with the movie. For a gory horror flick, anyway. I don't watch a lot of them.

I'm glad to hear this. I bought the book, and the next day saw the trailer for the movie and so worried that it was terrible that I haven't read it yet. Regardless, I think I'll still try to read it before seeing the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom