Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anitram said:
U2 3D. 20/10.

So awesome. I wanted to reach out and touch them all.

[quote[]Originally posted by lazarus
I believe this was monkeyskin's exact review of The Mighty Ducks![/quote]

I believe that was also your review of The Goonies.

sloth_loves_chunk.jpg

Watched that Juno movie, yesterday. Fucking terrible, I must say. I thought that the performances were all more or less strong (though hardly, I should add, remarkable), but holy fucking shit was the screenplay ever awful. It trampled all over itself with conflicting, unmotivated (and structurally disallowed) narratives, and felt unbelievably like something written in a writer's workshop. Really, really, really terrible.

Some good tunes, though. Well, more like one good tune, I guess--that'd be "I'm Sticking With You," by the greatest band in the history of the universe...The Velvet Underground! And, like I said, I thought that most of the actors did what little they could with such a handcuffing script pretty well. Her boyfriend dude was a pretty cute kid.

Last edited:
Well, I have no idea why this posted, but here I am with nothing else to say and seemingly no way out...! Bah! Why can't I "Page Back" my way out of this?

I had some time to kill yesterday while I was stranded as my car was being repaired, so I went to see National Treasure: Book of Secrets. I never saw the first one, so I can't really make that comparison, but I was pretty entertained. Considering all the shit that winds up in theaters, a film that may interest younger (or older) people in history can't be a totally bad thing. Some of the puzzles were pretty fun, even if they appear to be solved too quickly at times. Cage is a Hollywood Whore, but for some reason never looks like he's slumming. He probably has fun doing these, and is never unengaging. I don't know how this film managed to get 3 Academy Award winners in one film (plus perrenial nominee Ed Harris), but all of them appeared to be giving it their full attention, especially legends Helen Mirren and Jon Voight, who had some nice scenes together. Bruce Greenwood (the "thin man" reporter in I'm Not There) does a great job as the President of the United States.

The jokes fell flat some of the time, slapstick doesn't always work, but I laughed out loud at some of them. There's also a car chase that really seems unnecessary and just there to give the masses what the studio thinks they want, a break from the exposition. While the whole thing is obviously derivative of Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider, and The DaVinci Code (which I still haven't seen), it keeps you guessing and interested, and I can't fault it as entertainment.

I watched Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride, a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson, the other day. I'd been looking forward to seeing it, but it was surprisingly dry. There was a formal, matter-of-fact tone and structure to it that I really felt like went against what Thompson did in his life and writing. I fell asleep on the couch about 2/3 of the way through it, and I didn't feel the need to go back and watch what I'd missed.

I have no shame in admitting I'll be watching The Simpsons Movie tonight. I don't have extremely high expectations for it, but hopefully it will be fun. An hour and 27 minutes of just about mindless humor :drool:

As Tears Go By

For the first 25 minutes here I thought I was in trouble. After that, it was pure WKW through and through. It seems fairly obvious that he didn't have nearly as most creative control as he did throughout the rest of his career, but for a debut, this is rock solid. The soundtrack is pretty terrible, but it's an 80's flick...so I typically just expect such. It also suffers from being a pre-Chris Doyle film, and it's remarkably noticeable given the fact that every other WKW film till My Blueberry Nights has been filmed by him. Just the same, WKW has a natural eye for cinema, and certain scenes here are just gorgeous. It's past-paced, the characters are likable, the action is cathartic, and the story is always just different enough that it never feels stale. Perhaps not a great film, but it's vintage Wong Kar-Wai and I love it.

Lancemc said:
As Tears Go By

For the first 25 minutes here I thought I was in trouble. After that, it was pure WKW through and through. It seems fairly obvious that he didn't have nearly as most creative control as he did throughout the rest of his career, but for a debut, this is rock solid. The soundtrack is pretty terrible, but it's an 80's flick...so I typically just expect such. It also suffers from being a pre-Chris Doyle film, and it's remarkably noticeable given the fact that every other WKW film till My Blueberry Nights has been filmed by him. Just the same, WKW has a natural eye for cinema, and certain scenes here are just gorgeous. It's past-paced, the characters are likable, the action is cathartic, and the story is always just different enough that it never feels stale. Perhaps not a great film, but it's vintage Wong Kar-Wai and I love it.

You are a far more forgiving viewer of this film than I was, when I saw it, many moons ago. The only thing I liked about it was the soundtrack! :wink: It's interesting, though, to see his ambience in an embryonic stage.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly nowhere near as good as Days of Being Wild or even Fallen Angels or something.

I didn't score it here, but if I did it would probably be like a 6.5 or a 7. The contrasting gangster plot and bizarre incestual romance combined with Wong's unique filmmaking methods elevated this above what should have been a pretty benign action flick. Andy Lau and Maggie Cheung are still fantastic here too even as young actors. I guess I appreciate it more as an artifact for analysis of what would come to evolve from this embryo as you put it, than as a regular Hong Kong gangster flick.

If you shout... said:

You are a far more forgiving viewer of this film than I was, when I saw it, many moons ago. The only thing I liked about it was the soundtrack! :wink: It's interesting, though, to see his ambience in an embryonic stage.

Out of sheer curiosity, what do you actually like? Every post of yours is a criticism of someone else liking something, be it TV, music, film. You are so persistently negative that I wonder if you actually ever derive pleasure from anything.

No spoken words said:

Out of sheer curiosity, what do you actually like? Every post of yours is a criticism of someone else liking something, be it TV, music, film. You are so persistently negative that I wonder if you actually ever derive pleasure from anything.

Some people like to pick things apart ... like vultures.

My Bond-a-thon continues....am up to Live and Let Die......which I always liked and look forward to re-watching after so long. I remember Moore sliding nicely into the role.

Liked On Her Majesty's Secret Service a lot more than I anticipated, especially the final scene, which was, as Laz said, hardcore. Forgot how meh I felt about Diamonds are Forever until re-watching it. Tiffany Case, though, was not meh.

No spoken words said:
My Bond-a-thon continues....am up to Live and Let Die......which I always liked and look forward to re-watching after so long. I remember Moore sliding nicely into the role.

Liked On Her Majesty's Secret Service a lot more than I anticipated, especially the final scene, which was, as Laz said, hardcore. Forgot how meh I felt about Diamonds are Forever until re-watching it. Tiffany Case, though, was not meh.

Diamonds is about as bad as any Moore installment.

I agree about Jill St. John. I'd totally meh her.

Welcome back, Dalton. How's it hanger?

No spoken words said:

As far as Wong Kar-wai goes, I think that Happy Together is, far and away, his best work. It's one of my favorite movies of the '90s, and the main reason why I consider Tony Leung to be the best living actor we've got, in this world. Amazing stuff. He'll never be that great, again. Chungking Express is also another of my favorite, from the decade. My favorite romantic comedy (of sorts) of all time.

I watched No Country For Old Men, a few weeks ago, as far as more contemporary stuff goes, and I enjoyed its brazen reimagination of Wenders's Texas, as I saw it. Maybe even saw a bit of Hitchcock's American landscape, buried in there. Very intriguing. Terribly beautiful, not too underwritten, and generally well-performed (although Tommy Lee Jones was a bit too Morgan Freeman, at times, for my taste).

Anyway, I apologize for not having the same taste as you, and, of course, for being honest about my own opinions. I won't be back in this thread any time soon, so no worries. I didn't know that we were only supposed to post positive reviews and avoid commenting about what we thought about other films being reviewed; nothing wrong with that, but I didn't get the memo. Word up.

If you shout... said:

As far as Wong Kar-wai goes, I think that Happy Together is, far and away, his best work. It's one of my favorite movies of the '90s, and the main reason why I consider Tony Leung to be the best living actor we've got, in this world. Amazing stuff. He'll never be that great, again. Chungking Express is also another of my favorite, from the decade. My favorite romantic comedy (of sorts) of all time.

I watched No Country For Old Men, a few weeks ago, as far as more contemporary stuff goes, and I enjoyed its brazen reimagination of Wenders's Texas, as I saw it. Maybe even saw a bit of Hitchcock's American landscape, buried in there. Very intriguing. Terribly beautiful, not too underwritten, and generally well-performed (although Tommy Lee Jones was a bit too Morgan Freeman, at times, for my taste).

Anyway, I apologize for not having the same taste as you, and, of course, for being honest about my own opinions. I won't be back in this thread any time soon, so no worries. I didn't know that we were only supposed to post positive reviews and avoid commenting about what we thought about other films being reviewed; nothing wrong with that, but I didn't get the memo. Word up.

Holy fuck, it's not about having the same taste. I make negative posts as well, I'm no pollyanna.

I just see you piss on a lot of people's posts, yet you rarely have anything positive to say, and that struck me as curious. I asked what you liked, and you replied in kind, which I appreciate. I don't know why being queried/mildly confronted would cause you to retreat from anything, let alone a thread on a web site.

No Country is a fucking masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, both the book and the film.

Anyway, was not trying to drive you out of this or any other thread, sorry if that's the net result.

If you shout... said:

Fair enough, I suppose, NSW. I would, all the same, encourage you to explain to me how this post is pissing on anything, or even how it seems "persistently negative." As far as three-sentence posts go, I feel that I was, as always, even-handed and reasonable. There's a wink in there, for fuck's sake, you know? What else does a brother gotta do?

If you shout... said:

Fair enough, I suppose, NSW. I would, all the same, encourage you to explain to me how this post is pissing on anything, or even how it seems "persistently negative." As far as three-sentence posts go, I feel that I was, as always, even-handed and reasonable. There's a wink in there, for fuck's sake, you know? What else does a brother gotta do?

Well, it's true, you're not exactly making a savage attack, I concede that. But, Lance did express that he liked the film, and your reply was that you liked nothing about it save the soundtrack. Then the wink, yes.

I guess my post was less about this one post, and instead was due to a cumulative effect from a few threads.

I probably could have been more tactful with my initial post.

A brother aint gotta do anything else. It's all good.

Holla.

Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story

It was pretty lukewarm. Like most anything Family Guy-related, it's a mixture of brilliance and eye-rolling. The plot was alright, but a bit disjointed. Not that such a thing ever mattered with this show. These days, they pack 5 different plots into 19 minutes, so packing about 4 different plots into 80 minutes really isn't so bad in comparison.

Forgettable, but occasionally very good.

7/10

I LOVE that movie. When they're asking people on the street what they would choose as an alternate name for San Francisco, and Older Stewie says "Considering all the shoe stores here I'd have to say 'Heaven'!"

The whole thing is hilarious.

And BTW, how is lukewarm 7/10? You must be on Lance's grading scale.

lazarus said:
I LOVE that movie. When they're asking people on the street what they would choose as an alternate name for San Francisco, and Older Stewie says "Considering all the shoe stores here I'd have to say 'Heaven'!"

The whole thing is hilarious.

And BTW, how is lukewarm 7/10? You must be on Lance's grading scale.

Lukewarm should probably be closer to 5 or 6, sure, but I must agree that there were a few AMAZINGLY funny moments.

Plus, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a few of the jokes that I simply didn't get due to my ignorance of what they were parodying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom