Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna echo what you guys said about Hard Eight. Gwenyth Paltrow seemed more out-of-place than I thought Sam Jackson would've been, but all 4 actors were terrific.

I'd rank P.T.'s movies like this:

There Will Be Blood *****
Magnolia *****
Boogie Nights *****
Punch-Drunk Love ****1/2
Hard Eight (Sydney) ****

Last edited:
I enjoyed Hard Eight quite a bit as well. Probably a 7.5 or something around there.

Now that TWBB has had time to digest fully, I'd rank his films as such:

1. Punch-Drunk Love
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Magnolia
4. Boogie Nights
5. Hard Eight

TWBB and Magnolia are EXTREMELY close, though. It's damn near impossible to pick one over the other.

I know you're a big fan of the aesthetic use in PDL, but what else puts it above TWBB and Magnolia for you?

I'll be in Marfa, TX, this week for the film festival and they'll be showing TWBB outside on the set of TWBB before they tear the set down. :D

deep said:
I thought you might ask that.

It is a 100% confident and sure hand of film making.

I think Magnolia is his best film.

Boogie Nights has grown on me, there was a time I did not rate it so high, but now I think it is outstanding.

PDL I saw once on the big screen and was a bit distracted paying too much attention to Adam Sandler playing against what had been his type casting up to that point. I do think it is a very good film but think many will think it does not measure up to Magnolia or Boogie Nights because it is not the same scale.

I haven't seen Hard Eight but otherwise I agree with all of this.

joyfulgirl said:
I'll be in Marfa, TX, this week for the film festival and they'll be showing TWBB outside on the set of TWBB before they tear the set down. :D

Nice! Get a picture by the derrick!

They also shot some scenes from No Country for Old Men out there.

LemonMacPhisto said:

They also shot some scenes from No Country for Old Men out there.

Yes they did, and also here in New Mexico where I saw Javier Bardem and that hairdo in Starbucks one morning. Definitely an :ohmy: moment.

The Visitor 6.5

This movie is getting rave? reviews.

So perhaps, I expected too much.

Same director as The Station Agent, I'd give that a strong 7.5

The actor that played the father on Six Feet Under has the lead here.
He was much more interesting in SFU
This movie was fine, just nothing too special. I don't like movies that have the nice little neat Hollywood endings. I thought No Country ended just fine. A lot of people were complaining on that one, not me.

Well, this movie is like you read the middle section of a somewhat engaging book. :shrug:

joyfulgirl said:

Yes they did, and also here in New Mexico where I saw Javier Bardem and that hairdo in Starbucks one morning. Definitely an :ohmy: moment.

I would have pissed my pants on the spot.

FINALLY saw Hot Fuzz :crack: I didn't think it could get much weirder than Shaun of the Dead, but I was oh so wrong...Still, it WAS fantastic.

Walk Hard - probably about a 7/10

It was actually much funnier than I had expected. I was expecting a few good chuckles but then a lot of dragging, and while there was still some dragging, I laughed more than I was expecting to.

corianderstem said:
Walk Hard - probably about a 7/10

It was actually much funnier than I had expected. I was expecting a few good chuckles but then a lot of dragging, and while there was still some dragging, I laughed more than I was expecting to.

I just watched this too. I agree 100% with your review. Better than expected, but not hilarious.

Just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall

And it is very halarious! I dnt wanna ruin anything for those who havent seen it but I think it's worth a watch.

Mila Kunis :drool: :drool:

She was actually good in this movie and her voice wasn't annoying as it usually is.

The Orphanage

First movie I've been to in a long time where people shrieled at parts. Think the last time was The Descent like three years ago. Anyway, I thought it was pretty good but not great. The atmosphere and overall look and feel of the film were superb with the house becoming a character in it's own right. The direction was spot on too, with many instances where I felt the camera was giving us a ghost's POV.

My main problem is with the ending. After giving it some thought I've realised that it does work after all whereas at first I thought there were some huge flaws in logic. But it just didn't sit right with me, like the whole film was building up to something completely different and then *twist* it winds up being something that feels way too familiar.

But on the whole it was well worth the trip, espicially with a packed audience. (The laughter that errupted when the stairs are revealed was great.)

Charlie Wilson's War. 7/10

I liked it better than I thought I would given that I don't care much for Tom Hanks or Julia Roberts. I thought he was well cast, and she still annoyed the fuck out of me, but I think she was supposed to.

When the movie came out I was reluctant to see it for two other reasons. First, because I think Aaron Sorkin has a tendency to put out a lot of writing that amounts to little more than a masturbatory exercise. I do think that popped up a few times, especially in the more politically-charged scenes. He just can't help himself, it seems. Second, in light of current events, the glorification of ending the Cold War in Afghanistan struck me as more than a little ironic. They addressed that in the last couple of scenes, but I still wonder whether your average movie goer would get it. Then again, your average movie goer probably wouldn't go see this in the first place.

"Diving Bell and the Butterfly" is in my queue next. :)

Iron Man.

Well.

That was just downright FUN.

I can't think of anything I didn't like about it. I even liked Gwyneth!

Oh, and if you haven't heard from multiple other sources yet, stay until the very, very end of the credits.

Wow, fancy meeting you here.

Think I'll be seeing this tomorrow, though I know I really should be going to the arthouse theatre to see the new Binoche film.

corianderstem said:
Iron Man.

Well.

Oh, and if you haven't heard from multiple other sources yet, stay until the very, very end of the credits.

Really? I thought this would be another boring super hero movie trying too hard.
I guess i'll give it a try.

Superhero flicks are hit or miss with me, and I wasn't sold on this one until I heard how good the reviews were.

94% fresh on rottentomatoes.com - that's pretty damned good.

corianderstem said:
Iron Man.

Well.

I saw it

liked it, too.

I left before all the credits

so I missed S J

(i did a search, seems like it would be a natural for a sequel)

I only had an inkling of what the little blip at the end was about, not knowing much about comics. But I gathered enough from it to get the gist of it.

Everything gets a sequel nowadays anyway.

Iron Man was fun. Very fun. Not particularly great through. Almost worked better as a comedy. The supporting cast was pretty weak, especially Bridges and Terrence Howard.

I love Downy though, and this was quite a bit better than any of last summer's big blockbusters, a solid action flick that I'd probably see again with another group of friends.

7/10

I thought the supporting cast was fine.

I liked Bridges, I did not recognize him with his bald head.

He did not go over the top and get all villainy, if that is your complaint.

Not over the top and villainy? He practically screamed "I'M THE MAIN BAD GUY!" the first time he appeared on screen with that ridiculous beard, and his final scenes as War Monger were absolutely terrible, the furthest the film ever fell into cheesy cliche the whole time.

He just didn't work for me at all. And Howard was just phoning in a performance, not awful, but he's capable of being a great actor so it was a bit disappointing. Paltrow was alright, but just the same, capable of so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom