Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:
How does one keep up with your brilliant capsule reviews, monkeyskin?

Regarding Talk to Her, I loved the film, but I'd rank recent Almodovar as such:

Bad Education > Volver > All About My Mother > Talk to Her.

They're all fantastic films, though, so that ranking isn't meant to slight any of them. Don't know if you've seen Bad Education but it focuses on the men even more than TTH does. It's also stylistically much more striking than his other films. He's considered such a great writer and director of actors that it's easy to forget how great of a visualist the man is. Not with that film, which has a great Hitchcock feel to it.

I've only seen one other Almodovar film besides those, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. I feel like I need to go back and check out some of those earlier films to consider myself a real fan.

Well it's nice to know they're being enjoyed.

I haven't seen Bad Education yet, just the other three in that ranking of yours. But if you think it's better than Volver and it stars Gael Garcia Bernal, then I'm so there.

Also, with regards to your thoughts on Casablanca: I agree it's not the greatest artistic achievement ever committed to celluloid, but as a piece of entertainment it never cops out, has both great and memorable performances across the board and is shot rather nicely. Plus, it stays with me for a long time afterwards and I think that's one of the main reasons it's rated so highly. In the art vs entertainment arguement, this is a strong fighter for entertainment that retains it's integrity.

Lancemc said:
Ran - 10/10
Let me just say that I love watching perfect movies for the first time. I don't think there's a more satisfying experience to be had staring at a screen than watching a director at arguably the peak of his career (yeah yeah, choosing a peak for Kurosawa is impossible, but I'm generalizing now) churn out an absolutely masterful piece of cinema. Ran's a true masterpiece, and that's really the only criteria for me scoring a film 10/10, so there it is.

A perfect film, on so many levels. It's beautiful to look at, has outstanding performances (especially from the ex-Lord) and the seige on the tower halfway through is jaw dropping.

Have you seen any other of Kurosawa's? His films with Toshiro Mifune through the 50s and 60s were class.

American Gangster:

Can I get a meh meh?

Not an unenjoyable film, but certainly one I never plan to see again. No memorable scenes, lines, moments, shots, etc. Directed rather anonymously by the usually more-stimulating Ridley Scott, and I don't know if I agree with Lance that it was trying to be The Godfather, GoodFellas, Scarface, etc., as it didn't really seem like it was trying hard at all. It showed a family story, but without Coppola's operatic treatment, attention to detail without without Scorsese's driving kineticism, and badassery without DePalma & Stone's cheap thrills. This was length without scope, and despite the size of the empire that Lucas built, the action in the film seems like it all happened over the course of a month.

Crowe and Denzel were quietly brilliant as usual, but again, nothing special. The best I can say is that I found the story interesting, it held my attention, and there wasn't anything technically poor about it. I'm damning it with faint praise.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts of the film, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it MUCH less upon a second viewing, but I'm currently not planning on watching it again...much like yourself.

I just got back from No Country For Old Men.

I'm not quite ready to write a full review yet, as I either need to give this one some time to digest or simply see it again (which I was absolutely iching to do as soon as the credits started to roll).

But I can safely say that it's easily the best film I've seen this year, and possibly the best film the Coens have ever done (I only say possibly because I have yet to see Blood Simple, and a one or two other noteworthy films... it's definitely the best of their work that I've seen).

Not that I've teased you I shall leave, and you shall hate me for it. :tongue:

Lancemc said:
I just got back from No Country For Old Men.

I'm not quite ready to write a full review yet, as I either need to give this one some time to digest or simply see it again (which I was absolutely iching to do as soon as the credits started to roll).

But I can safely say that it's easily the best film I've seen this year, and possibly the best film the Coens have ever done (I only say possibly because I have yet to see Blood Simple, and a one or two other noteworthy films... it's definitely the best of their work that I've seen).

Not that I've teased you I shall leave, and you shall hate me for it. :tongue:

I wanted to go see it tonight, but my Dad made me promise that I'd see it with him when I'm home for Thanksgiving. We both read the book around the same time. Cannot fucking wait. Glad you liked it.

PAN’S LABYRINTH

Superb. 10/10

PanLabyrinth2.jpg

The Darjeeling Limited

This movie, apart from No Country for Old Men, was probably my most anticipated movie of the fall season, and it didn't disappoint one bit. To tell the truth, it may be my 2nd-fave Anderson film, after Rushmore, upon first viewing. There's so much more I'd love to say here, but I'm still digesting everything and it's quite late here.

**** out of *****

I switched to the 5 star system, btw.

Yeah, it makes Facebook a hell of a lot easier.

Right now, I'd rank Anderson's films like this:

1. Rushmore
2a. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
2b. The Darjeeling Limited
3. The Royal Tenenbaums
4. Bottle Rocket

and I rate Bottle Rocket ***1/2 stars, so that's a strong body of work thus far. There's a chance Darjeeling may overtake The Life Aquatic, I won't know until 2nd viewing.

Last edited:
My favorite movies lately have been: Perfume, story of a murderer and Hannibal Rising, I don't know what rating to give them but very high and outstanding

Hannibal Rising was one of the worst-reviewed movies of the year. What exactly did you like so much about it?

I haven't seen it, so I'm curious about your reaction.

I cannot believe Hannibal Rising was most worst rated, because it was one of my favorites, it was a great movie i thought.

Lancemc said:
Well, if I remember correctly it's still more fresh than Premonition and Good Luck Chuck. :up:

Yeah, I have to say, I was surprised it was rated 15% fresh; I thought it would have been lower, based on what I'd heard.

*browneyedgirl* said:
My favorite movies lately have been: Perfume, story of a murderer and Hannibal Rising, I don't know what rating to give them but very high and outstanding

I loved Perfume earlier this year, it's definitely in my top ten of 2007 so far. The use of colour in the set designs was brilliant.

Dirty Harry
Still tremendous fun after all these years. With set pieces inspiring those from Lethal Weapon to Die Hard with a Vengeance to LA Confidential, this is simply one of the most entertaining and well crafted police films ever made. Clint cements his reputation as Hollywood’s ultimate alpha male, following the previous decade’s Dollars Trilogy and gung ho carnage of Where Eagles Dare. It doesn’t hurt that the man exudes sheer, bona fide cool in every frame. Andy Robinson also provides a memorable villain as Scorpio, based on the Zodiac murderer. Not easily pinned down as a cowardly psychopath, his performance and the script allow him to show much more intelligence than that. Too bad he’s up against Clint though.

The scene where he is released from custody due to Harry’s unorthodox (and illegal) policing methods despite being clearly guilty also resonates strongly with me. This perversion of law is unfortunately all too common today.

Stardust Memories
Along with The Purple Rose of Cairo, this was added to my rental list due to a lack of Woody Allen in my viewing history and laz’s high praise elsewhere. Whilst not as whimsical or as straightforwardly enjoyable as Purple Rose or Annie Hall, this was still bordering on the brink of fantasy in some scenes. Comparable to Fellini’s 8 ½, it follows a popular director (played by Allen) as he discusses his work and encounters both fans and critics alike. Fans of his older, funny movies that is. Alongside this is a plot line that shows his torn feelings between two women; one who is dependable and maternal, yet hardly exciting, while the other is the most amazing girl in the world for two days each month and then becomes a nightmare to be with. Quite how a man like Woody always seems to end up with so many women after him is a mystery I’ve yet to solve. Overall though it’s a wonderfully shot film (great use of POV throughout) that is far more reflective and self absorbed than the others I’ve seen. Make of that what you will.

Festen
My introduction to the world of Dogme 95 and what better place than to start with Dogme #1. This is a family drama set around the reunion for the patriach’s 60th birthday. Tensions both old and new quickly rise to the surface but it’s those that come completely out of left field for most of the guests that really grab everyone’s attention. To say more about the plot would ruin it as this is such a minimalist film that it has nothing but the plot, acting and characterisation to divert one’s attention.

Not to say that the direction is lacking however. Shot entirely on handheld cameras and using only natural light, it’s a very intimate portrait on deep family wounds and how those involved deal with them over time. Worth seeking out.

American Gangster. 7/10.

The acting was very good and the storyline was intriguing from an entrepreneurial business-side of things more than anything. Denzel is so beautiful, I was mesmerized by him.

Lancemc said:
Hannibal Rising was one of the worst-reviewed movies of the year. What exactly did you like so much about it?

I haven't seen it, so I'm curious about your reaction.
Sorry, I didn't give you a straightforward answer but I lost my internet connection last night

monkeyskin said:
Stardust Memories
Along with The Purple Rose of Cairo, this was added to my rental list due to a lack of Woody Allen in my viewing history and laz’s high praise elsewhere. Whilst not as whimsical or as straightforwardly enjoyable as Purple Rose or Annie Hall, this was still bordering on the brink of fantasy in some scenes. Comparable to Fellini’s 8 ½, it follows a popular director (played by Allen) as he discusses his work and encounters both fans and critics alike. Fans of his older, funny movies that is. Alongside this is a plot line that shows his torn feelings between two women; one who is dependable and maternal, yet hardly exciting, while the other is the most amazing girl in the world for two days each month and then becomes a nightmare to be with. Quite how a man like Woody always seems to end up with so many women after him is a mystery I’ve yet to solve. Overall though it’s a wonderfully shot film (great use of POV throughout) that is far more reflective and self absorbed than the others I’ve seen. Make of that what you will.

I'm SO glad you managed to check this out, esp based on my recommendation. I think you wrote this one up perfectly--it's not as delightful a confection as some of Woody's other great films, nor is it a penetrating look at peoples' ethics and morals like Husbands and Wives, Crimes and Misdemeanors, or Match Point. It's the most highly stylized of all his films, and fantastical is a good way to describe it. The scene with Charlotte Rampling in the sanitarium with all the jump cuts is one of the most powerful in his oeuvre, and I don't know if there's another one like it. What's great is that in the same film you have a counterpoint about the same character, equally powerful, that's so simple and conventional; the scene where he remembers sitting in the apartment eating cereal and listening to Louis Armstrong performing "Stardust" while Dorie sits on the floor reading.

Though Woody denied it was autobiographical (I can't imagine someone could loathe their fans that much, even the annoying ones), there must be some connection between his character here and himself, as he was a director of comedies attempting to do something different and getting critically (and publicly) chastised for it. This turning the funhouse mirror on himself and his world is what makes this not only brilliant cinematically, but thematically as well.

Damn it! NCFOM isn't playing in Indianapolis, where I'm stuck for a few weeks. Doesn't seem to be much indie fare playing here at all, actually.

Not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom