Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:

Blueberry's not coming out proper until next year, and I haven't seen it yet. I'm sure I'll like it more than the critics, who love to tear down their idols after a few years.

Yeah, you should definitely watch Days of Heaven again, or let it sink in before commenting. Did you happen to check out the new Criterion edition that came out last week, or the old one? I can't wait to get my hands on that DVD.

Have you seen The Thin Red Line yet?

I have the Criterion verion of DOH. Bought it on a whim, because of the great reputation, and mostly because of the amazing DVD cover art. I haven't seen Thin Red Line yet, but my suitemate has that, so I'll probably be checking it out soon.

I'm already looking forward to My Blueberry Nights though, the trailer is gorgeous, and though I'm worried about the English language aspect of the film, I'm sure it will still be enjoyable on some levels, even if it's not quite a masterpiece.

And I got ITMFL shipped today from amazon, should be here friday, and netflix is shipping out Days of Being Wild. So when I have both of them, I'll watch all three films in proper order.

I 've always found Wong Kar-Wai to be a pretentious bore who makes soap operas masquerading as art-house flicks. What some call 'dreamy' and 'evocative', I call shallow and self-indulgent. I just want to give him and his characters a slap.

The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca
I’m lumping these together because they’re so well known, nay, revered and they’re re-watches. I got these in a box set along with The Big Sleep and Key Largo, which is probably the best £11 I’ve ever spent on DVDs. Anyway, watching The Maltese Falcon again after so many years and so many other Bogart films, I was surprised as to how tough and cynical Sam Spade is. This is a man where one of his earliest reactions to his partner’s murder is to have his name removed from the signs on the windows. A man who can coolly turn over both allies and foes to the fuzz as either a scape or for some dimly felt need for revenge.

Casablanca on the other hand surprised me as to how thoroughly entertaining it is on repeated viewings. Aside from the lines that everyone (mis)quotes, Claude Raines nabs the best ones and is quite clearly having a ball in his role. I know it’s a lazy and almost indifferent attitude to take, but there’s not much else I can say about these two films that hasn’t already been said for the past 70+ years. They really are that good and The Maltese Falcon is as good an introduction to classic film noir as any. Also, knowing the ending to Casablanca still doesn’t mean that you don’t get emotionally sucked into the story and really care the characters along the way.

Arsenic and Old Lace
You may never realise how much a man can possibly mug in film until you watch Cary Grant in this. I’ll admit it put me off a bit the first time but he pours so much energy into his role that you can’t help but be swept up by the silliness of it all. Saying too much about the plot will ruin it (and this is a film that would be spoiled if you knew what to expect) but the whole cast is great and Frank Capra even manages to find some great shots in essentially a one set film. It was based on a play after all.

But the up till know unsung hero of all these movies is the one, the only, Peter Lorre. Even if you’ve never seen him on screen before you’ll be sure to recognise his voice and mannerisms from old Bugs Bunny cartoons. His Joel Cairo (The Maltese Falcon) is an interesting piece of work, duplicitous, effeminate and not one to turn your back on. Ugarte (Casablanca) introduces the main thrust of the narrative and it’s such a shame we don’t get to see more of him. Finally, Dr Einstein (Arsenic and Old Lace) is similar but more of an under the thumb weasel who doesn’t have the stomach for what he’s wound up doing. His final scene in the film is a hoot.

Broken Flowers
One of the things I love about revisiting films is when enough time has passed to make you forget exactly why you loved them so much the first time round, that watching them again recaptures some of that original magic. I remembered the general story, but had forgotten just how funny the scenes between Don and Winston are. Also the great acting from Bill Murray and each of the four actresses that play his old flames. The vast differences in their lives and present attitudes Don each highlight a different side of his character. Their past relationships with him are hinted at in contrast to their present situations and the quiet scenes before and after his road trip say so much with so little apparent effort from Murray. The final scene is a standout, bringing the film to a love it or hate it finish. Personally I loved it and it wrapped up the film in an as satisfyingly way as possible.

The Purple Rose of Cairo
I adored this film and loved the way the fantasy elements were pulled off within the story. One of the actors in the current matinee film suddenly spots a recurring face in the crowd and, bored of his role, steps out of the screen and into her life. The rest of the audience are understandably shocked, but more in the way that they’ve never seen this kind of thing happen before, not that it’s impossible. Indeed, they begin conversing with the characters up on the screen (who are very aware that they are in a movie and what is supposed to happen in the next reel) as if it’s all a very innocuous thing to do. Woody then makes things interesting by having the real life actor enter the mix…

Largely a film about the differences between ‘happily ever after’ films and the bitterness of real life, it has two charming turns from Mia Farrow and Jeff Daniels (in the dual role). Very funny at times (when it explores how a film character would cope in the real world) and bittersweet (Mia having to choose between what is perfect yet fictional and what is flawed yet real). It’s a film I’m sure many of us can relate to with a protagonist that finds escape in the movies, even when life has dealt her another bad hand.

I missed these yesterday. Nice work, again. Purple is just one of Woody's greatest, and I think the only people who don't like it are the ones who haven't seen it. A movie lover's film.

Casablanca is pretty much critic-proof but I still cringe at the thought of it on any "Best" list because artistically it doesn't offer much, as opposed to Gone With the Wind. Curtiz directed a handful of great movies but nothing had a whole lot of weight to it.

American Gangster

7/10

It was good! Really good, I think. Not great. About halfway through I started thinking, "This is good and I'm enjoying it, but I feel a little underwhelmed."

Then the last third picked up like a whirlwind and sucked me right in.

I'm not usually much for Denzel, but I thought he was fantastic here. Russell Crowe was good as usual. And tell me - does that Denzel ever age? Sheesh.

American Gangster - 7.5/10

I felt it was an deftly made crime flick, with all the style and confidence of Scott's modern works. However I felt the film could have/should have been 40 minutes shorts, most of which would result in cutting down one of the major characters' storylines. I felt the felt tried to make both Washington's and Crowe's characters sympathetic and fleshed out on opposite sides of the game, but neither really recieved the time or the script they deserved.

Of course, this is based on a true story, and both characters and vitally important, so it's hard to get around that. On a whole, I felt the film suffered tremedously from a tired been-there-done-that aura. It wants to be Serpico, it wants to be Scarface, it wants to be The Godfather, and it wants to be everything in between, but it's not quite as good as any of those individual films, and seems too pulled apart at the edges.

It lacks a bit of focus, and more important lacks a heart. These are characters we are supposed to be moved by, at least to a degree, but it just didn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, this is still a very entertaining film, but it lacks a lot of the depth of the films its emulating.

I think it might have been more effective if told principally from the perspective of Crowe's character. When he was onscreen I was always more engaged than when Denzel was. That probably has a lot to do with Crowe being the more powerful actor, but it also has to do with Crowe's character having a bit more depth, and room to shape his personality and motivations. I would have liked to see the promises of his character more fully delivered upon, which AG failed to do.

That this lacks a heart is not surprising considering the director, who has only made films of minimal emotional weight with varying success over the years.

And one that I thought I'd be seeing much sooner:

The Darjeeling Limited (dir. Wes Anderson)

I'm finding myself with not much to say about this film. While I thought it was a slight improvement over The Life Aquatic, I'm not sure that it was as much fun, and Anderson is still nowhere near the rarified air he was operating in with Rushmore & The Royal Tenenbaums. That this film seemed a little more personal was welcome, though that might be more because of the screenwriting contributions of the young Coppola relatives involved.

The acting was great across the board, especially from Brody, who just barely managed to convince that he belonged in the Andersonian universe. It was also difficult not to empathize with Owen Wilson considering his real life trauma, though his ability to underplay the pain of his character prevented it from being too real or uncomfortable.

There are a lot of intangibles here, certain moments, certain shots, that tell me Anderson is still pushing the boundaries of the precious little world he's created for himself. But he has yet to transcend it, and who knows how long it will take if he only tries in fits and starts. The funeral scene in this film, instead of being the overdone climactic scene as in the last two efforts, was much more poetic and understated here, even as it was for a character we've never really met. Surely a sign of hope for the true maturity of the filmmaker, even if a small one.

As usual, the photography and use of music was spot on, especially the call back to the short Hotel Chevalier, which had me laughing out loud. A bit too much reliance on The Kinks though; more variety would have been nice.

Maybe a Top 10 contender, and that maybe saddens me as I had much higher hopes.

I feel like I'm obligated to see American Gangster more than I want to see it, which is sad because I think Crowe and Washington are two of the best working actors right now. As you said, Lance, I haven't even seen the thing yet and I feel I've been there done that already.

Will probably go see Lars and the Real Girl instead.

It's bizarre, just about everyone on my campus is talking about AG, and seeing it this weekend. I'm not sure what the deal is. Obviously the film must have had a stellar marketing campaign to get so many people excited about a slightly better than average movie. Couple that with the star power, the hip-hop appeal, and the success of movies like The Departed (which is really nothing like this in terms of gangster/cop films), and I guess that's where the market grows.

Anywho, I'll be seeing Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and maybe Control this afternoon/tonight, so I'll have reviews for them as per usual.

How would you compare this to The Departed, Lance? Despite the fact that this one appears to be more epic in scope, I'm finding it hard to believe that Scott will give it the Shakespearean tragic power that Marty gave his film, which was supremely entertaining but also resonating.

This one is more epic in terms of time and possibly setting, but like I said, it's incredibly shallow so far as its characters. What The Departed succeeded in doing was getting us inside the heads of that film's two leads, DiCaprio and Damon, so that we really felt the growing pressure and the incredible tension between the two characters, despite them never really meeting until the last 20 minutes of the film.

The same thing happens in American Gangster, in that the two leads never come face to face until the end of the film. However, it's still a remarkably weak moment, because up to that point we never really feel the tension in these characters' lives and there's rarely any depth to their conflicts.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was concerned about, but expected anyway.

I think I'm going to see Across the Universe todya, before it disappears from theatres.

I'll try not to shout "recount!" in protest when A Day in the Life comes on.

Zodiac
4 stars out of 5

Netflix writeup: "In the 1960s and '70s, a cryptic killer clad in an executioner's hood stalked the streets of San Francisco and left clues about his crimes in the newspaper. In director David Fincher's chilling recount of the murders, Oscar nominee Jake Gyllenhaal -- flanked by an impressive ensemble cast that includes Robert Downey Jr. and Chloe Sevigny -- stars as reporter Robert Graysmith, the man who went on to write the best-selling true crime book Zodiac."

This is a long movie, at nearly 2 hrs 40 minutes, but it went by pretty quickly. I thought Robert Downey Jr. did a great job as the lead reporter covering the Zodiac murders for the San Francisco Chronicle. It was a good, solid movie that held my interest in the murder mystery.

--------------------

The Weather Underground
4 stars out of 5

Netflix writeup: "A sobering documentary about a group of 1960s "committed freedom fighters" known as The Weather Underground. A radical offshoot of the Students for a Democratic Society, the Weathermen didn't just march or sit in; they rioted and bombed -- not to change the American political scene but rather to destroy it. The organization was part of a global trend of revolution that sprang from the belief that not acting against violence is violence."

Wow, looking at American society today (we've become so docile), it's hard to believe how radical things were back in the late 1960s. I thought this was a very good documentary about a fringe, radical, misguided element of the American left. I want change too, but I don't believe in violence to get it. I'm more of a MLK and Gandhi fan.

Spider-Man 3. 4/10.

It sucked. The end.

If you want a longer review....it was pure fluff. Dunst can't act her way out of a wet paper bag, but this is nothing new. I haven't loved the other two either but they weren't this bad.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead - 9/10

At 83 years old, Sidney Lumet has just crafted another cinematic masterpiece. It's nothing we haven't seen before, but it's something we rarely see done quite this well. Devil revolves around two brother (Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke) who plan to rob their parents' jewelery store to ease their financial woes. Obviously, things don't wuite work out according to plan.

What impressed me most about this film, other than the Oscar-worthy performances across the board, was how Lumet placed considerably, sincerely real people, family people, under the typical circumstance of the crime drama we're so familiar with. It's fare to find such vulnerable, sad, and real characters in situations as otherwise ridiculous as those found in the film. Or maybe it's just because of how sincere these characters are that makes the situations seem ridiculous. Either way, there's no escaping the casts' phenominal performances.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is possibly America's finest living actor, and he's in top form here. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him garner an Oscar nom here, despite the already stiff competition for the shortlist. Hawke and Albert Finney also turn in fantastic performances, but the real treat here is the always-phenominal Marisa Tomei. It seems as though she's topless in half the scenes she's in, which might be the case, but either way, she still proves she's got the chops to play opposite of The Big Man Hoffman.

The plot here is at first deceptively familiar. Lumet plays with chronology, directing a high frequency of key events, though we never see them from quite the same perspective each time. This now industry-standard for the genre isn't gimmicky under Lumet's control, and it painstakingly builds the tension to a near-absurd breaking point.

Having seen American Gangster just the night before, I relished in the depth and personality of these characters. It's a character-piece, that's not mistaken. It's a painful exposition of a broken family, and the crime itself merely serves as a catalyst for the release of tension these people have been buckling under their entire lives.

Please, if you have the opportunity, go see this film though. It's currently my second favorite of the year so far, and might even be able to assume the top position if I were able to see both this and Eastern Promises a second time, but I can't promise anything.

I also saw Anton Corbjin's Control tonight which was absolutely beautiful, and remarkably heartbreaking and depressing.

I won't review it formal tonight, because it still needs to digest a bit. It's been a while since I've left a film in such a morose mood, but that's what Curtis' story will do to you.

After long and considerable pondering, I've decided that Before The Devil Knows You're Dead is my #1 of the year.

Go see it.

NOW

A Mighty Heart. 8/10.

I'm usually not a fan of movies which are true stories of a very recent event. It's too fresh in my mind and sometimes I think having time elapse allows for some clarity. That said, I really did enjoy the movie. Thought Angelina Jolie did a fine job. If you've seen Mariane Pearl in interviews, she's a very calm, serene sort of person (not surprising given the branch of Buddhism she practises), and that came across very well in the movie. The sights and sounds of Karachi were good too, even if the film was made in India. There was a nice authenticity about it regardless.

The Shining
This was my Hallowe’en movie of the year along with Freaks, but I’m not sure I’ve completely digested that one yet. Anyway, this is probably the film that scares me more than any other I’ve seen. I remember the first couple of times I saw it the lights were out and I could barely look when Danny encounters the two girls on his trike. Now that I know what’s coming the scare scenes don’t get to me as much, but it’s the constant tension and Jack’s breakdown that still freak me out. I was still getting the chills when I was just expecting the two girls to make a sudden appearance, or when Danny was outside room 237. And then of course there’s Big Jack’s performance. Get past that devilish grin and unhinged act he usually turns out and there’s a real sense of menace and terror in what this man is going through and what he might do.

The use of steadicam is also well known and as I’ve mentioned before I’m a huge fan of long takes. Here though, rather than let the viewer feel as though they are there in the scene, it gives a sense that we’re looking through someone’s POV, stalking the actors. I think it’s because the camera feels like it’s gliding and can be very stop-start, it just doesn’t feel right.

Talk To Her
A film by Pedro Almodovar, and out of the three of his I’ve seen now I’d rank it above All About My Mother but below the magnificent Volver (how that never got a Best Foreign Oscar nod I’ll never know). This one focuses on male protagonists but like the other two mentioned it starts off as fairly intimate and reflective between a small group of people before leaping off into an unexpected direction.

Told through a good deal of flashbacks, this is at heart two love stories but neither of which are particularly happy. Indeed, while one is broken by adultery the other is… I think unrequited is the best description. There is a lot of love in the film, a great deal of lust, passion and longing, but given that it’s a surprisingly cold and unromantic one. But before I make this sound too depressing I should mention that visually it’s absolutely stunning. Almodovar has struck me as a director with flair and who likes to show it off whenever he feels he can get away with it. Locations and scenery are lush and beautiful and the Spanish buildings add an air of the exotic. But the main talking point, visually, is the five minute silent film he slips into the middle, just when the plot tilts. You’ll have to see it to appreciate it, but amazingly it works. Just like the rest of the film.

Rendition
Saw this before Eastern Promises (review in that thread) and like that film I was a bit torn in my reaction. On the one hand it raises many issues and for the most part they are brought up by a capable, starry cast. But it never really seems to deliver any convincing answers and winds up almost exactly where we expect it to. I saw almost because there’s a completely unnecessary narrative twist that only succeeded in making me lose concentration for a few moments as I tried to piece together what had just happened. Smart for the sake of being smart if you ask me.

Structurally it’s similar to Syriana, Traffic and all those other multi-strand dramas with a social conscience. As a result no one is given the opportunity to hog the limelight and unfortunately only one character ever earned my interest and sympathies (the Egyptian-American placed under rendition leaving wife Reese Witherspoon frantic at home). In fact, some didn’t even seem to be trying to gain my interest (Jake ‘sleep walking’ Gyllenhaal I’m looking at you). But overall it’s a decent enough thriller that means well and worth a look. There’s far worse on at the moment.

Wings of Desire
I’m guessing I’m not the only one familiar with Wim Wenders video for U2’s Stay (Faraway, So Close!). That video was essentially a condensed version of this classic German film about two angels watching over a divided Berlin, but never able to interfere. They can hear people’s thoughts and comfort those in need, but sometimes that isn’t enough for either party. One of our two angels, Damiel (Bruno Ganz, absolutely electrifying in The Downfall by the way) decides after a chance encounter with Columbo that he wants to become human. Sure he’s sentencing himself to a mortal life full of pain and difficulties, but he is also finally able to experience the simple pleasures that have so far been unattainable for him, like warming his hands around a hot cup of coffee on a cold day. And of course, acknowledgement and reciprocated love.

The plot is actually quite thin, but that’s not the point. Watching these two angels move between the citizens of Berlin, flicking between thoughts like radio stations and watching everything from far above the city is oddly soothing. I’ll admit it took me a while to adapt to the unhurried pace but hey, I was pretty tired at the time. But the gorgeous cinematography and sheer joy of the second half is enough to keep anyone transfixed.

At the very least it’s worth checking out just to spot the parts reused in the Stay video.

The Ex

2/10

I didn't think it could possibly be as bad as the reviews made it out to be.

I was wrong.

What a painfully unfunny movie. Why, Jason Bateman ... whyyyy???

I love how everyone always cries when Jason Bateman appears in a shitty role in a shitty film.

The man's virtually worthless outside of Arrested Development. I'd call AD a lucky fluke if anything.

He's pretty funny in Dodgeball, but you're generally right. I do think he'll be good in Juno.

Because I want to like Jason Bateman - is that so wrong?

He's in Juno, which is getting some really good buzz. So there. :wink:

And hey, the best thing about the movie? It was only 77 minutes.

How does one keep up with your brilliant capsule reviews, monkeyskin?

Regarding Talk to Her, I loved the film, but I'd rank recent Almodovar as such:

Bad Education > Volver > All About My Mother > Talk to Her.

They're all fantastic films, though, so that ranking isn't meant to slight any of them. Don't know if you've seen Bad Education but it focuses on the men even more than TTH does. It's also stylistically much more striking than his other films. He's considered such a great writer and director of actors that it's easy to forget how great of a visualist the man is. Not with that film, which has a great Hitchcock feel to it.

I've only seen one other Almodovar film besides those, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. I feel like I need to go back and check out some of those earlier films to consider myself a real fan.

Short reviews tonight, because my brain hurts:

Ran - 10/10
Let me just say that I love watching perfect movies for the first time. I don't think there's a more satisfying experience to be had staring at a screen than watching a director at arguably the peak of his career (yeah yeah, choosing a peak for Kurosawa is impossible, but I'm generalizing now) churn out an absolutely masterful piece of cinema. Ran's a true masterpiece, and that's really the only criteria for me scoring a film 10/10, so there it is.

Color Me Krubick - 7/10
This was a bizarre little film I picked up at Hollywood Video for 3 bucks. It's really only worth seeing because of Malcovich's highly entertaining performance, and the several references to Kubrick's more famous works. The film only half-succeeds at studying celebrity-worship and the quirks of show-business and fails entirely as a character study. Even still, it's worth the 3 bucks and 80-some minutes I spend on the film.

Days of Being Wild - 9/10
It's official. I'm in love with Wong Kar-Wai. I've only seen two of his films, but they've both gotten under my skin in ways no films have ever quite managed before. They aren't necessarily the MOST powerful ones I've seen, but I haven't seen anything remotely the same as them either. This one in particular is clearly an earlier work, but his command over the medium is dumb-founding, and was a clear leader of setting mood through style in film during the 90's. The Tarantino comparison is one far too easy to draw, as both artists were influenced by one another's work to an extent, Tarantino moreso by WKW, but the T man can't even begin to grasp WKW's insight into the human emotion or his inherent aptitude for translating it to celluloid.

In The Mood for Love is waiting on my shelf for me to watch it now, which I will then follow with a repeat viewing of 2046, which I'm absolutely dying to see again now. As for the rest of his catalogue, I'm currently eying the DVD box set on amazon which included his first 6 films minus Ashes of Time. If I can possibly find a way to afford that soon I will be mine, or I wait until the holidays are over. Either way it's no more than 2 months away from me, and I'm already hungry for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom