Return Of The 6th Interference Album Listening Party - Axver's Modern Prog Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
And now for the last song of the album, the beautiful Stop Swimming. These are quite possibly my favourite Porcupine Tree lyrics ever:

This song leaks out onto the pavement
It could be a joke, it could be a statement
The more that I fake it and pretend I don't care
The more you can read into what isn't there

We're on the same musical wavelength (A 440 perhaps? :wink: ) this evening, my friend.

hippy said:
This song leaks out onto the pavement
It could be a joke, it could be a statement
The more that I fake it and pretend I don't care
The more you can read in to what isn't there

:drool: great lyric... in that sweet, pure voice

Yesss. :drool:

Steven Wilson has one of my most favourite voices ever. In fact, the only ones I think I prefer are Neil Finn and Lovetown-era Bono. Otherwise, Wilson just wins.

pattip2000 said:

Check this out, for more good stuff. In Absentia's The Sound Of Muzak:

Hear the sound of music drifting in the aisles
Elevator prozac stretching on for miles
The music of the future will not entertain
It's only meant to repress and neutralise your brain

Now the sound of music comes in silver pills
Engineered to suit you building cheaper thrills
The music of rebellion makes you wanna rage
But it's made by millionaires who are nearly twice your age

Soul gets squeezed out
Edges get blunt
Demographic gives what you want

One of the wonders of the world is going, it's going down, I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares, no-one cares enough

What an amazing commentary on the modern music industry.

And that, folks, is Stupid Dream. :drool:

I consider it the best album of 1999, which is quite the achievement given Anathema released Judgement and Dream Theater released Scenes From A Memory that year.

:lol: for some reason my computer went back to the first song, how did it know that’s just what I wanted. I tell you, sometimes I :heart: itunes (sometimes :no: )

hippy said:
Great listening party :yes:

Thanks for introducing me to "progressive rock", Ax :) And now I even know what it is! :lol:

I'll definitely be checking out more

Awesome! I'm glad you, patti, and Khan could join me, and I'm glad this went down well. :) I was quite afraid it wouldn't, it seems some people have a stigma about prog.

Axver said:

Awesome! I'm glad you, patti, and Khan could join me, and I'm glad this went down well. :) I was quite afraid it wouldn't, it seems some people have a stigma about prog.

if you do this again, I'll be back. I'm sold on it now and it only took what, 1/2 hour?

pattip2000 said:
:lol: for some reason my computer went back to the first song, how did it know that’s just what I wanted. I tell you, sometimes I :heart: itunes (sometimes :no: )

:lol:

I hope you enjoy Piano Lessons. That's my favourite song on the album. I rank it something like this:

1. Piano Lessons
2. This Is No Rehearsal
3. Stranger By The Minute
4. Stop Swimming
5. Even Less
6. A Smart Kid
7. Slave Called Shiver
8. Baby Dream In Cellophane
9. Pure Narcotic
10. Don't Hate Me
11. Tinto Brass
N/A: the title track!

If you enjoyed this album, I would probably recommend Lightbulb Sun to you. It was the next album and contains fantastic songs like Lightbulb Sun, Four Chords That Made A Million, Shesmovedon, and the perfect The Rest Will Flow, which I may make a parting party gift to you guys.

pattip2000 said:

if you do this again, I'll be back. I'm sold on it now and it only took what, 1/2 hour?

:happy:

The prog albums I've selected for my Modern Prog series are quite diverse - there are some heavier, more metal-oriented ones, and then there are a couple that are softer than Stupid Dream, most notably the Blackfield album that also features Steven Wilson.

:wave: night hippy

I need to get to sleep too; I have a long day of working in my garden tomorrow. Just incase you guys didn’t notice I REALLY like this band, kind of dorky but I’m very excited about diving into more of their stuff (I haven’t had a new band to obsess over for a while)

hippy said:

lol

I'm always up for a listening party too :)

Though now it's time for me to go to bed... been a looooong ass week and I need sleep

Have a good night. :)

I'm uploading a couple of songs as parting gifts and I'll send them to you, patti, and Khan. Khan, I know you have some PT stuff, but I think you won't have these two. If you already do, or don't want them, just don't click the links! :wink:

there is nothing better than good music (ok that might be a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean)

pattip2000 said:
:wave: night hippy

I need to get to sleep too; I have a long day of working in my garden tomorrow. Just incase you guys didn’t notice I REALLY like this band, kind of dorky but I’m very excited about diving into more of their stuff (I haven’t had a new band to obsess over for a while)

I'm really glad! I didn't think I'd actually successfully convert anyone to any of my bands - in fact, I wasn't sure if things would even go well enough to merit a second round of my Modern Prog series.

PT has a very diverse, extensive catalogue, and hopefully you'll enjoy it. The earliest stuff (On The Sunday Of Life) is very bizarre and experimental, made by Wilson in his bedroom, and I don't listen to it much. He assembled a band for the later albums, though Up The Downstair was originally recorded by Wilson solo and then re-recorded with the full band for a later re-issue.

(last thing than I really do need to go to bed) Axver, are you up for putting together a little prog rock 101 class for me? I need all the help i can get

pattip2000 said:
there is nothing better than good music (ok that might be a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean)

There will be some waiting in your inbox in the morning. :)

Good music rules my life. :drool:

And yes, I am quite happy to introduce you or anyone else to prog! I'm kind of new to it myself, I only got my first Porcupine Tree CD in June 2005, but I think I'm getting there.

June 2005 wow! you must be a quick learner, or like me, when you find something you like you obsess over it :wink:

pattip2000 said:
June 2005 wow! you must be a quick learner, or like me, when you find something you like you obsess over it :wink:

A combination of both, actually! I have quite the memory (interested in Pi to 353 decimal places? No, I don't know why I memorised it; boredom perhaps), and when I am keen on something, I am keen on it. Plus, like I said, good music rules my life - I can't get enough of it.

And weren't you going to bed? :wink:

yes, yes. must..... get...... sleep (after reading a bit, but you don't care about the details)

:wave: thanks so much for the party :dance:
have a good night

(last post, for real)

Back
Top Bottom