Rest in Peace, Sean Taylor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've been a Redskins fan for 25 straight years, since I was 8, and Sean Taylor will always remain my favorite Redskin of all time.

He was a spectacular player, full of life and talent and toughness. I never needed a Redskins jersey until Sean Taylor got drafted, and I bought mine before he ever even played a down.

I never met him, didn't know him personally, but I watched him for 3 hours every Sunday, for the past 4 seasons, yelled at him, cheered at him, rooted for him, encouraged him, tore my hair out when he'd drop an interception, and prayed for him to survive.

He died defending his family, from intruders who broke into his home. He was fearless in football, and in his last moments alive, he was still fearless.

Rest in peace, #21.

http://flickr.com/photos/timothy_mcintyre/2069509194/

You would think today was a gameday with all the Redskins jerseys I've seen on campus.

I've been a Redskins fan all my 21 years of living and this is definitely the lowest of lows in my fandom.

What I can't stand is the "holier than thou" people saying that he doesn't deserve all this attention when there are people who get shot every day. I'm sorry folks, but this is a guy we enjoyed watching, he brought joy to people and to see it taken away like this is so wrong, and people have a right to give him attention and grieve.

U2democrat said:
You would think today was a gameday with all the Redskins jerseys I've seen on campus.

I've been a Redskins fan all my 21 years of living and this is definitely the lowest of lows in my fandom.

What I can't stand is the "holier than thou" people saying that he doesn't deserve all this attention when there are people who get shot every day. I'm sorry folks, but this is a guy we enjoyed watching, he brought joy to people and to see it taken away like this is so wrong, and people have a right to give him attention and grieve.

I know, it's my lowest day too. I feel guilty for cursing the Redskins' disappointing season recently. Now, I just wish I could watch Taylor play again.

I saw this post on one of the Redskins' fans' message boards, and it really got me:

------------------------------
I talked to my girlfriend and told her how upset I am that I feel like a brother has passed and wondered why it hurt so much. Shes not really a football fan.

She Said:

"He was your hero, you looked up to him.
You saw him every Sunday and always knew what he was up too.
On Sundays you talked to him like he was right there with you.
He is your brother."

This is true for all of us. She couldnt have said it better.
----------------------------------------------

U2democrat said:

I fully agree. Of course it's sad when anyone dies, but there's nothing wrong with mourning a celebrity you liked. Especially when they die in a manner like this.

I'm not a sports person. But I'm very sorry to hear about this. My condolances to his family, friends, teammates, and fans :( :sad:.

Dalton said:
Mark my words. We are going to find out in a few days that it was his finance who shot him and tried to cover it up with the robbery story.

I saw this episode of Murder She Wrote.

I'm not whether to laugh, laugh harder, or just break down crying knowing that this actually happened to Taylor in the first place. :sad:

Dalton said:
Mark my words. We are going to find out in a few days that it was his finance who shot him and tried to cover it up with the robbery story.

I saw this episode of Murder She Wrote.

CSI_miami_iso.jpg

---------------------

It is a shame considering he was getting his act together off the field.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out it was not a random burglary, but someone familiar with Taylor or the house or something, maybe a contractor who installed the alarms or whatever, but it just doesn't sound random.

Dalton said:

One of my coworkers thinks this as well. His theory: who shoots someone in the leg and then the groin in a burglary? He speculated the girlfriend shot him (missed the first time, then hit his groin) because he was fooling around.

Regardless of any speculation, it's still a shame and a senseless death.

U2democrat said:
So apparently the phone lines were NOT cut but they weren't working, and their alarm system was either off or not working.

Something is NOT right.

Yeah...I refuse to believe that they simply stopped working on their own.

Latest from the Washington Post:

======================

Police Theorize Taylor Was Victim of Botched Burglary

By Amy Shipley and Peter Whoriskey
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, November 29, 2007; Page E01

MIAMI, Nov. 28 -- Miami-Dade police said Wednesday they have no suspects in the Sean Taylor murder investigation and appealed for assistance from the public in solving the crime, saying evidence collected so far indicates that the Washington Redskins safety was a random victim of a botched burglary attempt.

Police have "no reason" to think the incident was anything other than an attempted burglary, one likely involving more than one intruder, Miami-Dade Police Department Director Robert Parker said at a news conference at police headquarters.

"There is nothing that indicates that this was something that involved Sean," Parker said. "We're more along the lines, or the thought process, that this was a random occurrence."

.... [edit]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/28/AR2007112801073.html?hpid=topnews

U2Girl1978 said:
Did you all know that his girlfriend is Andy Garcia's niece?

Yeah, I saw that. Andy Garcia said the other day that he was so grateful that Taylor saved his niece's life. She and Sean were high school sweethearts, apparently. She played soccer and he played football.

Here's a pic of Sean and their daughter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothy_mcintyre/2073561472/

I know a guy who says all his buddies at work say it was that the girlfriend shot him in the privates for cheating on her, then tried to blame it on a fake burglar. After Susan Smith you never know.

Anyway very sad story and tragic loss RIP :sad:

3 people have been detained

MIAMI -- An attorney and family friend for Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor said three people have been detained in the Fort Myers area for questioning in connection with his death.

Richard Sharpstein confirmed Friday that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Miami-Dade police detained two teenagers and a third person, Local 10's Rad Berky reported.

The Miami Herald reported that investigators believe the three learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth. The newspaper reported their ages as being 17, 19 and 26.

Investigators removed a large amount of physical evidence from Taylor's Palmetto Bay home after he was shot early Monday morning. Berky has learned that evidence can place the two or three people in the house.

Miami-Dade police spokeswoman Lt. Nancy Perez would only confirm that homicide detectives are in Fort Myers, but she would not say why.

Taylor's mother on Thursday said she has her own ideas about the death of her son but prefers to keep them to herself and let the police investigation play out.

"It's very hard to say," said Donna Junor. "But I have some thoughts in my mind."

Many of Taylor's family members gathered at the small house in Homestead where he spent much of his time growing up. Junor seemed to show her frustration with the attention focused on Taylor's past brushes with the law when asked about statements that having a young daughter had changed him.

"He was not exactly a bad person, so I don't see where he was turning his life around because of a baby," she said.

Taylor died early Tuesday morning, one day after he was shot in his home during a random burglary, Miami-Dade Police Department Director Robert Parker said.

"There is some information that is known by members of the public and we believe that information hasn't reached law enforcement," said Parker.

Funeral services will be held at the Pharmed Arena at Florida International University on Monday, Dec. 3, at 11 a.m. The services are open to the public, but seating is limited.

At a news conference Wednesday, Parker said there are no suspects because there were no witnesses who could give police a description of the person or people responsible for the killing, but he urged anyone with information to call police or Crime Stoppers.

Parker also said that there were no indications that Taylor was targeted or knew his assailant.

"There is nothing thus far in the investigation that indicates that there was an involvement on the victim's part," said Parker.

Local 10's Rad Berky reported that investigators are focusing their attention on the friends, or more likely, friends of friends of Taylor, who may have visited the NFL star's home.

Parker said evidence indicates that one or more intruders barged into Taylor's home. Parker called it "a random event" and said police are looking at the home as a "bona fide" crime scene.

But on Tuesday, Richard Sharpstein, an attorney speaking on behalf of Taylor's family, said the shooting was not random.

"There are too many coincidences," said Sharpstein. "It's clear this house was targeted."

Recreating Events

Sharpstein said Taylor, his girlfriend and Taylor's 18-month-old daughter were in the bedroom of Taylor's home when Taylor heard noises in the living room.

Sharpstein said Taylor went to investigate and was carrying a machete that he keeps in the bedroom. The intruder kicked in the door and then shot twice, hitting Taylor once in the leg, the attorney said. Taylor lost a significant amount of blood because the bullet hit his femoral artery, Sharpstein said.

Miami-Dade police went to Taylor's home at 18050 Old Cutler Road in Palmetto Bay after receiving a call from a woman around 1:30 a.m. Investigators later identified the woman as Taylor's girlfriend, Jackie Garcia. Garcia is the niece of actor Andy Garcia and the mother of Taylor's daughter, also named Jackie.

Monday's break-in was at least the second for Taylor in less than two weeks. Taylor's home was ransacked and items were stolen on Nov. 17, Sharpstein said.

Taylor had closed the storm shutters on his home after the earlier break-in. During that entry, someone made his or her way through a front window, according to a police report. The house was ransacked and there was damage to an air conditioning duct in the bathroom, where someone may have believed there was something hidden, Berky reported. A kitchen knife was left on the bed, according to the police report, but it wasn't until after Taylor was killed that police began to analyze evidence collected from the first break-in, Berky reported.

"We have no reason to think that this was anything but a burglary or a robbery involving an intruder," said Parker.

He also said police are looking for more than one person and hoped an arrest would be made "shortly, in short order."

Meanwhile, Junor said she was thankful of Taylor and Garcia for her "beautiful granddaughter, and I want to enjoy her for the time."

"Whoever took him doesn't understand what they took from us," said Taylor's cousin, Nicole Matthews.

Taylor's Background, Playing Career

Taylor played football at the University of Miami, where he was a member of the 2001 national championship team as a freshman. In his final season with the Hurricanes in 2003, Taylor was a consensus first-team All-American and named Big East Conference defensive player of the year. He was also a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, given to the nation's best defensive back.

He left school early and became the first UM player selected in the 2004 NFL draft when the Redskins picked him fifth overall.

Last June, Taylor agreed to a plea bargain in court on charges that he brandished a weapon at people he suspected had stolen some all-terrain vehicles from his South Florida home. Taylor agreed to 18 months of probation.

Taylor was in his fourth season with the Redskins. He led the team with five interceptions but missed the last two games with a knee injury. The 212-pound safety played in his first Pro Bowl in 2006.

Source

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
I know a guy who says all his buddies at work say it was that the girlfriend shot him in the privates for cheating on her, then tried to blame it on a fake burglar. After Susan Smith you never know.

Anyway very sad story and tragic loss RIP :sad:

Some of my friends have said that too.

:shrug:

Of course, it's always sad when someone dies, and I am not one to overreact to the trials and tribulations of celebrities...but....I've seen Sean Taylor play football on many a Saturday and Sunday, and so it hits a little closer to home than if it were a random person who died under the same circumstances. I also work in the world of sports, and so maybe it means a little more to me due to that. I don't know. I just know that this story has really saddened me and my heart goes out to his family, friends and the Redskins organization. Losing one of your own at work, be it a retail gig, an office or even a professional sports franchise, is always devastating.

No spoken words said:
Of course, it's always sad when someone dies, and I am not one to overreact to the trials and tribulations of celebrities...but....I've seen Sean Taylor play football on many a Saturday and Sunday, and so it hits a little closer to home than if it were a random person who died under the same circumstances. I also work in the world of sports, and so maybe it means a little more to me due to that. I don't know. I just know that this story has really saddened me and my heart goes out to his family, friends and the Redskins organization. Losing one of your own at work, be it a retail gig, an office or even a professional sports franchise, is always devastating.

Freshening urinals at sports at a minor league baseball stadium doesn't really qualify as "working in the world of sports" does it?

This morning's ESPN news blurb revealed that it was 3 17-year olds and one adult; all being held on Murder charges...said that one of the suspects "was close to the family" as he had attended a birthday party at the home within recent weeks..."

The suspects reportedly confessed that they did not know that anyone was home at the time of the break-in...

Back
Top Bottom