Repeating songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Do you ever get into one song so much that you just put it on repeat and let it play for hours? I'm not talking about the first new song released from a long awaited album and you play it over and over because it's the only new thing out there from that band. What I'm thinking of is when you have a whole album and you fixate on one song.

If you have done this, fess up, which song/songs?

Fairly recent repeaters for me have been:

Steve Kilbey -- Blessed One
The Church -- Invisible
Art of Fighting -- Something New
Wilco -- Jesus, etc.
Wilco -- Via Chicago
Gersey -- The Night We Walked to Mexico (I listened to the Storms Dressed As Stars cd for about 30 hours straight -- even overnight -- when I first got it)

And I'm not even sick of any of those songs yet. I think that might be the greatest feat. :wink:

Recenty:-

Roy Orbision - I Drove All Night
Bruce Springsteen - Cover Me / Lucky Town / Streets Of Philly
System Of A Down - Radio/Video
NIN - The Hand That Feeds

:hmm: Tho according to my Itunes Most Played list - I have listened to 'Love And Peace Or Else' the most recently.......:eyebrow:

"New Year's Day"

Yup, not sick of it, funny thing is, it's probably the one U2 song I've heard the most, I mean, shouldn't I be sick of it yet?

I was a casual U2 fan up until 2000, so technically I've onlyknown it as a U2 song for 5 years.

"Take on Me" A-ha. Don't laugh, I like it aight! ;)

Last edited:
Beck - Nicotine & Gravy
U2 - Love and Peace or Else
Snow Patrol - Run
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Six Months in a Leaky Boat (Split Enz cover)
Beck - Missing
Air - Cherry Blossom Girl
Air - Playground Love
Bright Eyes - Let's Not Shit Ourselves

I think I tend to listen to certain songs on repeat for a long time because I really enjoy the atmosphere or the feeling it gives me. For example, I really enjoy listening to Snow Patrol - Run when I'm working on webdesign-related stuff, because it's very calming, unobtrusive but very enjoyable. :up:

yes...... this is the way I listen to music.. This is the way I am.

I am a man of EXTREMEs...either I want everthing or I want nothing.. If i say yes it means YES and if I say NO..it means NO...

no comprises or negotiations...

coming to the list

1) Down by Blink 182...atleast 1000 times in a month recently
( 5 hours a day in repeat mode for many days) in 2005

2) Champagne Supernova by Oasis - 500 times in a month in 2002

3) Dont look back by Oasis - 1000 times during a month in 2001

4) Prodigal by Porcupine tree - 500 times during a month in 2004

5) Streets by U2 - 1000 times during a month in 2001

6) Let down by radiohead - 2000 times in 2002/2003

all figures are approximate figure which I think I had listened to...a conservative estimate...I think...I didnt count it but guessed based on howmany hours I spent listening to it..and the duration of the song...

indra said:

Wilco -- Via Chicago

Been there, done that! Also with "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart."

For awhile recently it was Manic Street Preachers "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" but I've cooled it a bit.

When I first discovered the "repeat 1" feature I was about ten years old and decided I wanted to listen to "Here Comes the Sun" forty times in a row. Now recently it's been "Love Untold" and "First Glimmer" by Paul Westerberg but about a year ago it was "Plainsong" by the Cure.

Most of the time I can't listen to the same song twice in a half hour span. Just not my cup of tea.

Not to slag off anyone who does.

Placebo - Special Needs
Explosions In The Sky - Glittering Blackness
Hood - Any Hopeful Thoughts Arrive
My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes
Beck - Lost Cause

Yes, all the time.

Recently, the culprits have been:
Coldplay - Talk
Coldplay - Speed of Sound
U2 - Bad
U2 - Mercy
Howie Day - End of our Days
James Newton Howard - The Hand of Fate Pt.2
Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone (insanely catchy. I care not what people think of it)

so many songs. sometimes you'd think the repeat button on my cd player was stuck :uhoh:

recent repeated songs:

u2 - mercy
interpol - untitled
pj harvey - shame
snow patrol - run
muse - butterflies and hurricanes
the walkmen - the rat
radiohead - there there

These days its

Coldplay - Everythings not lost
Coldplay - Politik
Coldplay - Things i dont understand
Monty Python - Lumberjack song :wink:

Honestly, I dont really do that. For some reason I'm super anal and always feel like I have to listen to the whole album or nothing.

u2popmofo said:
Honestly, I dont really do that. For some reason I'm super anal and always feel like I have to listen to the whole album or nothing.

I usually listen to the whole album (in order too -- never do the random thing), but occasionally one song will just grab me and I can't stop listenig to it.

indra said:

I usually listen to the whole album (in order too -- never do the random thing), but occasionally one song will just grab me and I can't stop listenig to it.

Yeah, that does happen to me from time to time also. I generally will mix it up though, listen to some other songs and then come back to that one song.

I think I'm always too scared that I'll get sick/overexposed to something and start to dislike it if I listen to it too much.

u2popmofo said:

I think I'm always too scared that I'll get sick/overexposed to something and start to dislike it if I listen to it too much.

If it's a fluff (but fun) song that I listen to a whole lot that does happen -- I'll listen to it a lot for a while but then never listen to it again. But if it's a good, solid song, it doesn't matter how much I hear it.

I think everyone just has to do what works for them. :yes:

indra said:

I think everyone just has to do what works for them. :yes:

Definitely. I know that some people, like IWasBored for example, can listen to the same band/album over and over and over for months. For some reason I'll get tired of things if I do that. It's not that I start to dislike them, I just lose interest in them because I know the music too well (it's not new/surprising any more).

Now I think I try to not overdue things out of complete fear that I'll get tired/bored with it!!! It's kinda sad that I'll steer away from things I love for that reason, but I totally do. I'm probably just putting way too much thought/importance into it all...... :wink:

U2 - "Bullet the Blue Sky" (Live 08/28/93 from the "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" single)

Bob Dylan - "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" ("Live 1975")

U2 - "Bad" (Live from "Wide Awake In America")

U2 - "Where The Streets Have No Name" ("Hasta La Vista")

Bob Dylan - "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"

Snow Patrol - "Chocolate"

Willie Nelson feat. U2 - "Slow Dancing"

U2 - "Kite"

That's it for now.

I don't usually put one song on repeat more than five times tops, but the last song I noticed myself repeating at least once or twice every listen was "The Power of Orange Knickers" by Tori Amos (feat. Damien Rice).

I also have this live version of "My Sweet Prince" by Placebo that is good for putting on repeat during late-night listening sessions.

Back
Top Bottom