Remixes Better than Original?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Usually, remixes are much worse than the original songs, especially, it seems, when it comes to U2 songs. But are there instances where the remix is better than the original, in your opinion?

I can think of two off hand:

1) Sarah McLachlan - Possession (John Fryer Remix). I love the original too, but I always liked this version better.

2) Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows (U.N.K.L.E. Reconstruction). The original song annoys me, compared to this remix, which I think is very good.

Melon

Remixes in general annoy me... esp. those techno remixes (that all have the same beat) of popular songs like Bryan Adams' Heaven or Phil Collins Something Happened. U2 remixes are at least reworkings from the band themselves, although I can never get myself to forgive them for the Pop butcherings. Anyway... I can think of one exception right now:

Who's Gonna Ride (temple bar mix)

:wink:

I think the Elevation Tomb Raider mix is far superior to the album version.

That being said, I don't much care for the song either way.

The only remix I like even close to as well as the original (and then only when I'm in a certain mood) is "Numbers" (soft mix) by The Church. I still generally like the original better, but there are times when I quite enjoy the soft mix. Otherwise I rarely listen to remixes.

In the trance world, countless remixes are better than the original tracks. So many that I would hurt myself if I tried to list them all here. If Armin Van Buuren has touched it, it's almost definitely better than the original.

But for songs y'all might know, I like the Unidare Remix of 'In the Name of the Father' better than the original. The Dakota version of Tori Amos's 'Hey Jupiter' also gives the original a run for its money.

HeartlandGirl said:
In the trance world, countless remixes are better than the original tracks. So many that I would hurt myself if I tried to list them all here. If Armin Van Buuren has touched it, it's almost definitely better than the original.

This statement is fact.

i'll throw in two duran duran ones into the mix:

the reflex
i don't want your love

the versions you hear on the radio and on countless compilation discs are actually remixes.

i also like arcadia's the flame remix better than the original, and of course U2's lady with the spinning head.

I'm into the remix of The Killers - Mr. Brightside
(Jacques Lu Cont's Thin White Duke Mix)

Adding:
Cornershop - Brimful of Asha (Norman Cook Remix)
U2 - Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) (in my opinion, at least)

I think there is some confusion here over "mixes" and "remixes" here.

HeartlandGirl said:
The Dakota version of Tori Amos's 'Hey Jupiter' also gives the original a run for its money.
:yes: IMO the dakota version is definitely superior to the original :drool:

lady with the spinning head (extended dance mix) - i absolutely adore this version.

new order's 'bizarre love triangle' (shep pettibone remix) and 'blue monday' (12" version), and from my raver days 'confusion' (pump panel reconstruction mix) which is virtually unrecognizable from the original, are all excellent.

i'm sure there are many, many more. i'll have to give it some more thought...

Even Better than the Real Thing (Perfecto Mix) - U2: an Oakenfold classic.

Missing (Todd Terry Mix) - Everything But the Girl: Terry amazingly transformed a ballad into a classic dance tune.

Bizarre Love Triangle (Shep Pettibone ReMix) - New Order: what have you heard at every single party?

A Little Respect (Extended Mix) - Erasure

Professional Widow (Armand Van Helden Mix) - Tori Amos

It's My Life (Raggadag Remix) - Dr. Alban

All classics... :yes:

:yes: :yes:

I'll stick to U2 mixes... here are a few of my favorites that I won't say are better than the original, but are good or different enough to be worth exploring, BTW I love alternate lyrics or vocal takes)

New Year's Day (US Remix) - Makes the song sound like a love song. Alternate lyrics :drool:

The Fly (Lounge Fly Mix) -- Totally different groove and I love it! And it includes alternate lyrics :drool:

Mysterious Ways (The Ultimatum Mix) -- Totally different groove as well.

Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix) -- Just a fun remix :yes:

Even Better Than the Real Thing (The Perfecto Mix) -- Adding the gospel singers was magic.

Can't Help Falling In Love (Triple Peaks Remix) -- I know, not a U2 song, but it was released as a b-side, it's a remix and sexy as all hell. :dance:

Lemon (Perfecto Mix) -- Great dance track and different enough from the original.

Dirty Day (Junk Day) -- Bono Yells wake Up during the song instead of whispering it, and it does the trick. An improvement on the original IMO

Elevation (Paul Van Dyke Remix) -- Best of the Elevation remixes in my IMO, although they did a good job mixing up Elevation remixes so that most sound different than one another. (Influx is good too)

New York (Nasty Mix) -- Gives an urgency previously absent from the original, and feels more like NY in it's hustle and bustle.

Vertigo (Trent Reznor Remix) -- I really like this one now, it's highlights a part of the song that gets me moving.

starsforu2 said:
I'll stick to U2 mixes... here are a few of my favorites that I won't say are better than the original, but are good or different enough to be worth exploring, BTW I love alternate lyrics or vocal takes)

Vertigo (Trent Reznor Remix) -- I really like this one now, it's highlights a part of the song that gets me moving.

ohmy.gif
ooo... sounds like it could be v. interesting... where did you find this? (...off to google this)

I love the Todd Terry remix of 'Missing'.

I think the Avalanches' remix of the Manic Street Preachers 'So Why So Sad' is better than the original, but it wasn't that good a song to begin with.

I quite dig Tiesto's remixes of Oakenfold's 'Southern Sun' and Delerium's 'Silence', to name but two.

I can't remember any others.

edit: Ooh, I can. Massive Attack's wonderful take on Garbage's 'Milk'.

Bob Marley vs. Funkstar Deluxe - Sun is Shining / Rainbow Country. Excellently remixed and produced stuff.

Coldplay - Clocks (Royksopp remix) I love this to bits, not sure if it BEATS the original, but there's just this SOUND to it!

U2 - Lady with the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix) let down only by the missing guitar solo from the original!! :(

Back
Top Bottom