Reminisce! Weird-ass Videos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Here's one from the vaults:

Remember the video for the song "Wild Wild West" by the Escape Club? It had some kind of bizarre arms that were clapping, but the arms were just long extensions of each other, aka not attached to people. Freaky. :ohmy: And lame!

With that, I dedicate this thread to all the weird videos of years past. Please join in with your own recollections.

Livin' in the '80's, heading for the '90's.

She's so mean, but I don't care. I love her eyes and her wild, wild hair.

Yes, as you can see, I remember that song. Funny stuff, I havent thought of it for ages.

*Van Halen--Pretty Woman
*Men Without Hats--Safety Dance (this video kills me...so funny)
*Herbie Hancock--Rocket (or is it rock it?? i'm a dork...)

There's many more, but the old brain aint working at the moment...

~LadyLemon~ said:
*Van Halen--Pretty Woman
*Men Without Hats--Safety Dance (this video kills me...so funny)
*Herbie Hancock--Rocket (or is it rock it?? i'm a dork...)

There's many more, but the old brain aint working at the moment...

Strange. I was thinking of more videos to add, and the two that came to my head were Safety Dance and Rocket. Never seen the Van Halen one, though.

Other strange ones:
Bedtime Stories--Madonna
When Doves Cry--Prince (more cheesy mirror effects!)
One--Metallica (not only weird but frightening! S...O...S...)
Rapture--Blondie

~LadyLemon~ said:
Jesus, didn't anyone else around here grow up with MTV?

Thank you for saying that. I was feeling like a :reject: for starting this "lame" thread. :)

I did think of some more weird videos, though.

Land of Confusion-Genesis (or was it just Phil?)
Here Comes Your Man--the Pixies (the weirdest lip synching ever!) ;)
That one where Michael Jackson grabs his crotch a lot, moans, and destroys the car. Actually, a good number of his have their weird moments.

mmmBono said:
Heartland....could it possibly be Billie Jean? Or is it Bad when he jumps on the car? :crack:

I think it's "The Way You Make Me Feel" where he jumps on the car, and is wearing some kind of cast, come to think about it. :eyebrow: :hmm:

To name all the videos where he grabs his crotch and moans would take me all day. :no:

*smiles, thinking about the extended version of the Bad video where he keeps running around screaming "HO!"

It also occurs to me that the Tool video where the meat is going through the metal pipe is weird.

Last edited:
The one that Heartland Girl is referring to is the one for "Black and White".

Originally posted by Elvis Presley
All Peter Gabriel vids are wierd and yet brilliant

:yes:.

I agree with a lot of these-"Come To Daddy", "Rockit"...yes.

Some others to add:

"Ashes To Ashes"-David Bowie (this one is just...out there)
"Black Hole Sun"-Soundgarden
U2's "Numb" and "Lemon" videos.
"Once In A Lifetime" and "Burning Down The House"-Talking Heads
"Closer"-Nine Inch Nails
"Don't Come Around Here No More"-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

And Queens of the Stone Age's "No One Knows" is pretty odd, too...anyone seen that one?

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

And Queens of the Stone Age's "No One Knows" is pretty odd, too...anyone seen that one?

Angela

Have you seen the video for the new song "Go With The Flow"? It has to be seen to be apreciated...much weirder than "No One Knows"

Also any video by Tool is strange...in a good way.

Moonlit_Angel said:

"Black Hole Sun"-Soundgarden

That one seriously scarred me as a small child. :der:

Which Radiohead video has Thom Yorke in that helmet or whatever, submerged in water? I've never seen it but this thread made me remember what I've heard about it.. only I can't remember what song it is. :hmm:

- how about almost every video in 1985, when i see the old school ones today it just blows me away how bad most were.

- what about that phil collins / genesis video with all the cartoon people? i do not remember the name and am too lazy to look it up.

- Da Funk by Daftpunk is odd - but one of the coolest videos ever

Edgeman said:
Have you seen the video for the new song "Go With The Flow"? It has to be seen to be apreciated...much weirder than "No One Knows"

No, I haven't. I'll watch for it the next time I'm watching videos.

Originally posted by Edgeman
Also any video by Tool is strange...in a good way.

Mmhm. Yep.

Originally posted by MrBrau1
Art Of Noise had that strange one where that little punk girl helped those 3 weird guys destryoy pianos and shit.

Aaah! I remember that video! That was definitely a weird one.

Originally posted by elevatedmole
That one seriously scarred me as a small child. :der:

It is a creepy video. Cool, but really creepy...those people's big grins make them look psychotic.

There was another video I saw one night when I was watching MuchMusic a long time ago...it was from a band whose name started with a D...can't remember their name at the moment, or the song...but I know the video was odd...it had a claymation type guy running through a forest or something.

Two other videos that are very goofy: Trio's "Da Da Da" video, and Bjork's "Human Behaviour" video.

Angela

elevatedmole said:
Which Radiohead video has Thom Yorke in that helmet or whatever, submerged in water? I've never seen it but this thread made me remember what I've heard about it.. only I can't remember what song it is

No Suprises

Moonlit_Angel said:
The one that Heartland Girl is referring to is the one for "Black and White".

"Burning Down The House"-Talking Heads

Angela

I'm actually kind of glad I didn't know for sure which video it was. ;) But yes, you're right. That was the one that showed on primetime and then people who were watching with their kids got really pissed off about it.

And Burning Down the House--Classic!

I've never seen it, but I've heard that the Radiohead video where everyone lies down is pretty strange.

Ah yes! Burning Down the House! I LOVE the Talking Heads, and this video got me into them, when I was, I don't know, three or something. But still, it used to freak me out. The scariest part for me, was at the end, with David Byrne's face on the road. Very eerie.

Also Whip It is also one of my favorite videos ever. "Ride 'Em Cowboy!"

Other videos that used to freak me out:

*Rockwell--I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me
*Men At Work--Who Can It Be Now (not as frightening, but still, when you're 4 it is)
*Level 42--Something About You (the lead singer looks just like a ventriliquist's doll, and at one point, makes this sort of scary face in the dark with a light shining on his face)

Yep, I'm a dork.

:wave:

~LadyLemon~ said:
Ah yes! Burning Down the House! I LOVE the Talking Heads, and this video got me into them, when I was, I don't know, three or something. But still, it used to freak me out. The scariest part for me, was at the end, with David Byrne's face on the road. Very eerie.

Yes, that part is definitely eerie, especially with the music at the end of that song-that and the fire on the side of the house and all that.

Originaly posted by HeartlandGirl
I'm actually kind of glad I didn't know for sure which video it was.

The only reason I know about that is because of the VH1 countdown of the 100 Greatest Videos and the 100 Most Shocking Moments countdown in which they talked about that video.

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
But yes, you're right. That was the one that showed on primetime and then people who were watching with their kids got really pissed off about it.

Mmhm. And he had to apologize for any pain or whatever that his video may have caused.

He shouldn't have had to do that.

Angela

I find "Come On Eileen" by Dexter's Midnight Runners to be a disturbing video just for the clothing being worn in it.

Who ever thought that wearing just overalls would be a good look? Disturbing, indeed.

yertle-the-turtle said:
too rye ay

can't remember whether it's been mentioned, but soundgarden's black hole sun freaks me out. heart shaped box by nirvana also.

I agree with both of those, they're both pretty weird stuff!

u2popmofo said:
I find "Come On Eileen" by Dexter's Midnight Runners to be a disturbing video just for the clothing being worn in it.

Who ever thought that wearing just overalls would be a good look? Disturbing, indeed.

I concur. And it wasn't just one guy...it was the whole band.

*shudders*

Yeah, Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" video is definitely weird.

Another one-I watched this video last night and can't believe I didn't think to mention it sooner-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' video for "Mary Jane's Last Dance".

Yep. That one's definitely screwed up.

And it's got a kinda creepy ending.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom