Remembering Kurt Cobain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Calluna said:
Some of you are making me feel very old.

I was living in Seattle at the time of his death (still am) and I went to the memorial they had for him at the Seattle Center.

is Seattle really as bad as it is made out to be, like all rainy, depressing, bleak and with really high un-employment????, just wondering:eyebrow:

Calluna said:
Some of you are making me feel very old.

Yup. I was in college at the time. :up:

What disturbed me was the copycat suicides that happened after his (people around my age and younger).

I too (like Angela Harelm) had an opportunity to see Nirvana just after Nevermind was released...before "Smells..." blew up. Woulda coulda shoulda. :shrug:

"Hey man, nice shot. Nice shot, man"

Moonlit_Angel said:

I agree, I feel bad for her, too. I heard she got taken away from Courtney a few months back, though-she's living with other family members or something, I think. I really hope that Courtney gets over all the crap she's going through soon, too...I read an article about her in a magazine recently, and it's very troubling. Friends are really worried about her. Can't say I blame them.

From what I've heard she's with Kurt's mom, Wendy. She was young when she had Kurt and she doesn't look or seem very old now. I think she'll be good for Frances, and it will be good for her to have Kurt's kid with her since she can't have Kurt. :( I don't think Courtney can take care of herself anymore, much less a kid. She should get to see her, sure, but not keep her full time. I would also not be surprised if Courtney ended up among the tragic rock stars herself:|

I heard about it on the nightly news, they said 'rock star death' and put up a pic of Kurt. There were candlelight vigils and stuff to honor him. His mom said at the time, she always told him not to go and join 'the stupid club' (Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, etc.) but he did it anyway. I remember traveling that summer and seeing the Kurt Cobain 'look' everywhere we went into eat, on guys and girls. I thought he would become a bigger cult figure than he already has.

zoney! said:

"Hey man, nice shot. Nice shot, man"

:crack: curse you for getting filter stuck in my head.

supposedly that was about a politician being shot (can't remember who, it wasn't a presidential candidate, i can't even remember if they were real or not, or it was just hypothetical), and not kurt cobain as popularly believed.

OzAurora said:
is Seattle really as bad as it is made out to be, like all rainy, depressing, bleak and with really high un-employment????, just wondering:eyebrow:

It's probably not that different from Melbourne, from what I've heard. ;)

The winters are rainy and bleak. Being this far north, it gets dark extremely early around winter solstice and that can be very depressing. On the flip-side, the summers are absolutely gorgeous and it stays light until almost 11pm at the height of summer solstice. The springs are lovely and full of flowers and the fall can be very mild and pleasant too. So basically, if you can survive the winter or better yet, vacation somewhere warm and dry in mid-winter, then you've got it made.

As for the un-employment rates, I don't find them to be much different than other US cities of comparative size.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
From what I've heard she's with Kurt's mom, Wendy. She was young when she had Kurt and she doesn't look or seem very old now. I think she'll be good for Frances, and it will be good for her to have Kurt's kid with her since she can't have Kurt.

That's good...at least Frances has somebody out there willing to take care of her. It's a shame it had to come to that, though.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
:( I don't think Courtney can take care of herself anymore, much less a kid. She should get to see her, sure, but not keep her full time.

Agreed.

I would also not be surprised if Courtney ended up among the tragic rock stars herself:|

Yeah, it would not be surprising at all, but...*Shudders* I hope it never gets to that point.

I heard about it on the nightly news, they said 'rock star death' and put up a pic of Kurt. There were candlelight vigils and stuff to honor him. His mom said at the time, she always told him not to go and join 'the stupid club' (Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, etc.) but he did it anyway.

Ooh. That's creepy.

Angela

I have to admit I never got the Nirvana craze. I definitely recognize Kurt's talent and can see what an impact he had on music, but honestly I think his premature death has inflated his importance a little. That said, it'd definitely be interesting to see what the music scene would be like if he was around today writing music.

I never really got into Nirvana back in the day. But I must admit, Kurt Cobain was probably the last genuine rock artist who displayed talent and genius, spoke brutal honesty about what he sang and felt, and whose passion affected millions. He was a voice for his generation and what was rocknroll.

I can't say that about most rock artists today. :|

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
He was a voice for his generation and what was rocknroll.

Yes, he was proclaimed as that a lot at the time of his death. He's about my age, well 2 years older, so he's 'my generation' but I heard a few people I know at the time, including my own brother, say they didn't want him as the voice of our generation, he didn't speak for them, any fool idiot who would blow his own head off. They even believed he did it in order to achieve rock immortality and they said he didn't deserve it! But I feel sorry for anyone who has felt so low that they would take their own life. I've had that feeling myself, and I would never condemn anyone for it, especially not after they were gone:(

IWasBored said:

supposedly that was about a politician being shot (can't remember who, it wasn't a presidential candidate, i can't even remember if they were real or not, or it was just hypothetical), and not kurt cobain as popularly believed.
I heard something different, that it was about a guy who comitted suicide in front of TV news cameras live or something like that...but its definitely not about Kurt.

Hewson said:
I heard something different, that it was about a guy who comitted suicide in front of TV news cameras live or something like that...but its definitely not about Kurt.

Yeah I can't remember the guy's name, but he was a politician who commited suicide on TV.

Yeesh. How creepy would that be to witness a suicide live on TV?

U2Kitten said:
Yes, he was proclaimed as that a lot at the time of his death. He's about my age, well 2 years older, so he's 'my generation' but I heard a few people I know at the time, including my own brother, say they didn't want him as the voice of our generation, he didn't speak for them, any fool idiot who would blow his own head off. They even believed he did it in order to achieve rock immortality and they said he didn't deserve it!

Hmm. Interesting. I've heard some other kids talk about how they fail to understand what was so great about Kurt or Nirvana as a whole, too, but I've never heard anybody say those exact words.

But I feel sorry for anyone who has felt so low that they would take their own life. I've had that feeling myself, and I would never condemn anyone for it, especially not after they were gone:(

:hug:. Agreed.

Angela

RIP Kurt.....SInce you left people have been trying to immitate you and no one has ever been half as good.....

Your music lives on...

Back
Top Bottom