Remember the 80's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tapes melting in the car and getting stuck in the players

recording onto tapes off the radio and trying to predict what song might come on so you could catch it perfectly.

Cute skaterboys who used Sun-In on their "drop" haircuts :cute:

To add to the cassette thing. I had to buy three cassette copies of Under A Blood Red Sky because I played it so much it would wear out. Same thing with Van Halen 1984, I played those two tapes all the time.

Anybody remember Night Flight on the USA Network? I saw the "A Celebration" video for the first time on that when they did a U2 segment.

The birth of MTV. First video I saw on there was Eddie Money, "Shakin". Dont know why I remember that. :shrug: :laugh:

2orangecats said:

And St. Elmo's Fire!

Electric dreams!(Beauty Vriginia Madsen)
Dirty dancing!
Flashdance!
Breakfast club(still my all time fav)

My idols were:Kim Wilde, Sade, Lymahl, Eurythimics...
Awww. ,..that hope ..i remember hope was everywhere and romantic good 80s feelings!

Top gun - almost forgot

Blue Room said:

Anybody remember Night Flight on the USA Network? I saw the "A Celebration" video for the first time on that when they did a U2 segment.

Yes! And what about 'Radio 1990'? That's where I watched videos before our cable company got MTV!

girlhappy said:
And i still remeber Pride (first time i heard u2 ever) on the radio...1985..(I was 11)

Oh yes, I loved it, and the more rare video for it! My first was NYD, SBS and seeing Red Rocks at 13. That made me a fan! If we're going to get into 80's U2 stuff this could get really long, but fun! Also on the subject of having to buy everything over on CD the first thing I bought that I already had on vinyl was JT!

U2Kitten said:

Oh yes, I loved it, and the more rare video for it! My first was NYD, SBS and seeing Red Rocks at 13. That made me a fan! If we're going to get into 80's U2 stuff this could get really long, but fun! Also on the subject of having to buy everything over on CD the first thing I bought that I already had on vinyl was JT!

My introduction to U2 was very similiar. NY Day on the radio and seeing the video. MTV played NY Day all the time. They had a dance/get together thing at my high school at that time with a live band and they played I Will Follow. I asked what song that was because I thought it was cool. I already had War, but the next day I went out and bought all of U2's remaining cassettes as a result. Both of them! :laugh:

Last edited:
thththththbreakfastclub.gif

u2granny said:
My five year-old belting out, "I wanna get physical. Let me hear your body talk.

Funny! I remember singing that in kindergarten during stretching exercises, and the teacher ended up banning it! We had no clue... !

I worked in a record store in the early 80s, so I remember importing all the new bands, like U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Ultravox, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Simple Minds, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Psychedelic Furs,...I could go on & on. And vinyl was the primary music format. I remember CDs being introduced, and most were imports only, so every week we couldn't wait to find out what had finally been released on CD.

I remember the girls coming in and drooling over anything Duran Duran, and then some dressing like Madonna.

TV Shows:
Dallas
Dynasty
Knot's Landing
Magnum P.I.
Cosby Show
Cheers
Newhart
Family Ties
Miami Vice
Moonlighting
L.A. Law

Last edited:
Carmelu2fan said:
I was a kid (87) when I saw this movie and I did not sleep for a week.:yikes:
f1.jpg

The night light came in handy after watching that movie! lol. However the jump rope song was rather catchy :wink:

1,2, freddy's coming for you
3,4 you better lock your door
5,6 grab your crucifix
7,8, stay up late
9, 10, never sleep again

cruzila said:
I remember wallpapering my bedroom with Heavy Metal band posters......

:flirt:

Mötley Crüe, Poison, Bon Jovi, The Scorpions, Quiet Riot, Aerosmith, AC/DC, G n' R, Bang Tango, Faster Pussycat, Van Halen, Billy Squier, Tesla, Ratt, Ozzy, Metallica, KISS, The Cult...just to name a few...:shifty:

Had 'em all on cassette tapes...:lol:

Re: Re: Remember the 80's?

RedrocksU2 said:

No, but I remember taking my first pair of Calvins to the cleaners to get them dry-cleaned -- so they wouldn't fade -- and starched, with creases up the front. I also had a pair of jeans with ankles so tight that they had zippers in the back with a little bow above the zipper. AND -- being a traditionalist, after soaking my levis in the tub, I put them on damp so they would dry-to-fit. (My Mom was convinced that I would get pneumonia from this.)

Back
Top Bottom