REM to release greatest hits album....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
0iougt087

REM are set to release a Greatest Hits album in 2003, NME.COM has learned.
NME.COM understands that the record will be a compilation of their biggest hits to date, and be backed by a selection of new songs, one of which will be a new single.

A release date is currently unconfirmed, although insiders have said the record could coincide with a tour next year. REM are strongly rumoured to be headlining the 2003 Glastonbury Festival.

The group are also in the studio working on songs for a new album. It is possible that both records could be released next year.

_____

EXCELLENT!

I hate it when bands release greatest hits albums while they're still making music. Doesn't REM already have one with Eponymous? Now that will be superfluous, because "Radio Free Europe," "Fall On Me," "It's the End of the World...", and so forth will probably also be on this new set.

The new album and tour are good news, though.

I'm sure the fans on their message boards are having hundreds of arguments about what songs should make the greatest hits. Sound familiar? :)

They actually have a couple, Epynonymous was put out on IRS after they signed to Warner Bros, IRS just wanted to make money off them while they could. They also had another was released in 1991, I believe it was called "The Best Of REM." All I know is that the band didn't want to release those early Best Of's at all.

This was in the daily Rolling Stone update that I get:

R.E.M. GET ROAD READY

R.E.M. have begun to set dates for a 2003 world tour, their first in four years. The tour -- in support of the band's thirteenth album, due next year - begins with a June 27th stop at the Glastonbury Festival in the U.K. and will visit North America in the fall. "My kids have been asking me for the past couple of years, 'When do we get to go back on the tour bus?'" guitarist PETER BUCK said.
"So I am really excited about next summer and fall."

Well, that seems pretty official. Man, I can't wait to see these guys live.

So here's my ideal 18-track R.E.M. greatest hits album, and keep in mind that I'm ONLY a casual fan, and have only listened to a couple of their full albums.

Radio Free Europe
Superman
Fall on Me
It's the End of the World...
The One I Love
Orange Crush
Stand
Losing my Religion
Shiny Happy People
Drive
Man on the Moon
Everybody Hurts