REM Fan Club christmas kit 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
Anyone else here a fan club member?

I just have to ask - how bloody funny is 'Merry Xmas Everybody'??

Just for the uninitated - they have sent out a 2 track CD this year to fan club members. The first track is a cover called 'Merry Xmas Everybody' and a new (?) REM track called 'Magnetic North'.

Last year there was a live CD from a tribute show at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, GA and the year before was a DVD if I remember correctly??

What they should be doing is refunding anyone who purchased Reveal and/or Around the Sun.

I have the X-Mas thing from '99 or around then, has some live tracks from the Bridge School Benefit, maybe? It has Neil Young playing with them on Country Feedback, and then they all cover Young's Ambulance Blue.

lazarus said:
What they should be doing is refunding anyone who purchased Reveal and/or Around the Sun.

Well that is a given - then again 'Around The Sun' did have 'The Outsiders'... :drool:

So a partial refund?

My package should be showing up any day now. "Magnetic North" is an outtake from the ATS sesions. I'm kind of looking forward to hearing it.

Well the calender has only 2 pages of photos this year, you get an REM Live magnet and a page of stickers along with the CD. Good kit.

lazarus said:

I love Around the Sun.

Anyone here have the R. E. M. Live in Dublin double CD? I have it, but I still haven't watched the DVD.

I have it. The DVD is good - those Around the Sun songs are better live than they have any right to be.

I didn't like Around the Sun when I first got it, but after I saw them live, it clicked with me.

Danny Boy said:
I certainly wouldn't mind if the U2 fanclub gift was a CD with a Christmas song and an unreleased track from the HTDAAB sessions. It would sure beat the hell out of a live CD that I already own the DVD version of.

I disagree. I'm quite happy with the upcoming 2CD set (plus T-shirt). It sure beats the hell out of selling/bundling the CD version of which they've also released the DVD version of.

last unicorn said:

I love Around the Sun.

Anyone here have the R. E. M. Live in Dublin double CD? I have it, but I still haven't watched the DVD.

I have the DVD. I've watched it once so far -- it was quite good, but I prefer the Perfect Square Live DVD, from a couple years earlier, a summer concert outdoors in Germany. Beautiful footage.

Around the Sun's not bad. I don't listen to it often, but appreciate the songs when they show up on my iTunes.

And I don't care what anybody says, I love Reveal. One of my favorite albums of theirs. I love the whole Beach Boys vibe.

lazarus said:

Speaking of idiotic statements....you just made one yourself there.

Around The Sun - Worst Joke Ever, Ascnet Of Man, Leaving New York, Aftermath - all brilliant

Reveal - Imiatition of Life, I've Been High, Reno, Beachball, I'l Take The Rain - all brilliant.

intedomine said:
Noel Gallagher did a cracker of a cover of that slade song, was on the show Teachers.

I love that cover by Oasis! :love: Haven't heard the original though.

As for the topic, I was an REM fan club member in 2001 and remember getting a christmas cd that year too. No longer a member.

R.E.M. ceased to exist for me when Bill Berry left. Nothing they've done since then can compare to their Bill Berry-era work.

thatsnotmypuppy said:
www com/file/3kbop3 for 'Merry Xmas Everybody' (replace spaces with fullstops)...

Enjoy...

Thanks for uploading that ... but what site is it? You need to type out the name of the site with a space or something; Interference automatically blanks some of them out when typed as one word.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
R.E.M. ceased to exist for me when Bill Berry left. Nothing they've done since then can compare to their Bill Berry-era work.

I really like what they tried to do on Up, and I feel like Bill's spirit was still floating around the studio at that point.

It wasn't until Reveal that they started making boring, old white guy music.

lazarus said:

I really like what they tried to do on Up, and I feel like Bill's spirit was still floating around the studio at that point.

It wasn't until Reveal that they started making boring, old white guy music.

I bought Up with high expectations, and while there are a few songs on it I liked, it just wasn't the same to me. Back in the 90s, R.E.M. and U2 were about neck and neck with being my favorite band, but U2 easily took over when R.E.M. released Up.

That said, I never got to see them in their heyday, so I'd still go see them now.

And I'm the opposite - I find Reveal hellishly dull. Up is nowhere near the top of my REM lists, but I'd rather listen to that one than Reveal.

corianderstem said:
And I'm the opposite - I find Reveal hellishly dull. Up is nowhere near the top of my REM lists, but I'd rather listen to that one than Reveal.

Reveal makes a great drink coaster, or sleeping pill.

That's about it.

ATS does have one of my all time favorite R.E.M. songs, "Leaving New York", and Reveal is a decent mellow album featuring the awesome songs "Imitation of Life" and "All the Way to Reno" so while the albums might have been overall weaker they still prove they can write a great track, and hopefully with renewed energy they can have a great 2008.

They've been around for 20 years, of course they're able to write a decent track or two before each album. So can the Stones. I'm not impressed. It's putting together 10 or so with some weight to it and making a great LP that's the problem.

thatsnotmypuppy said:
www com/file/3kbop3 for 'Merry Xmas Everybody' (replace spaces with fullstops)...

Enjoy...

Thanks...funny song.

Any chance you'd be willing to share Magnetic North?

Back
Top Bottom