relay for life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I have been thinking about this for the past few weeks and today have been really struck with the idea. I WANT TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS!
I just did a web-search to find out more about it and ended up at the Winnipeg Celtic Pipe Band site????...Moose Jaw , Regina and Grafton, ND? Not quite what I was looking for.
Now I know you need a team of 10- 15 people...I'd be flat out talking 5 people into this....but I'm going to try.
My hub is playing in his band that weekend for a Cancer Council fund-raiser. That is something else I was just reminded of. How much of his time, expertise and $$$ he has donated to very many different causes and charities over the years...like so many , an unsung hero...imho:up:
I'm just painting my "laundry" daffodil yellow( someone gave me their left-over paint) It's very bright, so I'm about to paint a blue cancer council daffodil on the wall, as a reminder, of how lucky I am.

"Survivors Walk
The Survivors Walk is a ceremonial lap of honour for cancer survivors and their carers. The first lap of every Relay for Life is set-aside especially for the Survivors Walk.
During the emotional lap, cancer survivors wear a red sash and carers wear a green sash. The remaining participants line the track and cheer the survivors and carers home.
Candlelight Ceremony of Hope
The Candlelight Ceremony of Hope is held on dusk at each event. Messages to loved ones are written on paper bags with candles placed inside. The glowing bags are then placed around the track and glow throughout the night.
The setting sun, a minute silence and beautiful music combine to make this ceremony a very memorable ."

Has anyone here been involved in the Relay For Life? It sounds fun and worthwhile.

Attachments

• relay4lifecandles.jpg
    relay4lifecandles.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 27
I hate to say I haven't heard of it Cass. It sounds wonderful though. I wonder if something will be happening around my area.

Have you got any info on it?

We have the Relay for Life walk every year where I live. I've only attended once. This is a reminder for me that I am also very lucky. :yes:

*puts a note on the calendar for the next one.

I was thinking maybe I should just make a donation( and then I got an unexpected large bill in the mail yesterday evening:yikes:....bad timing) or sponsor someone who is already involved. But being a part of the actual event sounds like fun to me. I might just ring the organiser and tell him my predicament and join up with a team of strangers.....they won't be strangers for long.
I just checked out the calendar of events, thanks Angie. I see there is a relay near where my parents live too. Maybe I can get a team together with them...and that sister of mine:yes: she was lucky to find her melanoma in the early stages. Mainly I'm thinking about our young friend Hollie...with them turning 21 and all:heart:She was having radio and chemotherapy and doing her HSC at the same time!! She survived:applaud:
Here's the link
http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=687

these boots are made for walking...............:)

nope, I can't rally a team. I am going to sponsor one of my son's teachers who is taking part with his Bushwalking Club.
My mother rang last night, her neighbour died a few days ago. She has been struggling with recurring stomach cancer for a couple of years now. RIP Nola.
I never really knew them, it was just their holiday house until recently. But her husband came over when I was there on Christmas Day. I gave him a hug and he just clung to me. The poor man, you could feel the fear and the deep sorrow in him. It's the surviving family I feel sorry for. What a wicked dis-ease that effects so many.
I did hear some teenage cancer survivors being interviewed on the radio. One girl said that the treatment she endured for 4 years 10 years ago , has now been reduced to one year, due to advancement in knowledgement due to research dollars:up:

.."a host of golden daffodils"

Back
Top Bottom