Red Sox Prayer......And joke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah that makes sense... a 72 year old man deserved to get the diamond cutter from pedro martinez, who had already threatened to hit someone square in the head earlier in the game. yeah... that's right. i'm sorry, i must be wrong. i dunno... if it's me and a 70+ year old man comes at me to fight, unless he did something to my family, i'm not fighting him back... but hey, that's just me. i guess i'm could be wrong in thinking that smashing a 72 year old's head into the ground is one of the most fucked up things i've ever seen.

Even the announcers changed their tune when the saw the replay. Pedro should not have defended himself? What if Zimmer had hurt him and he could not go out to finish the game.

Zimmer had no business being over there. Your ears must be better than mine. I did not hear Pedro say that he would hit them. I believe he was telling them that if he had intended to hit Garcia he would have hit him.

yeah i'm sure he was just showing how nice his hat fit by pointing at his head like that...

if you can't defend yourself from a 72 year old man without slamming him face first into the ground, then you are one of the biggest pansies on the face of the planet. and that comment was edited for the children present

Last edited:
I do believe that the Yankees are going to win the series btw.

No I believe baseball is a game of karma. They blew a lot with this whole situation.

so the game ends with an amazing catch by nick johnson, yet another save in the postseason by mariano rivera, and some asshole fenway groundskeeper trying to start a fight with the yankee's bullpen.

oh and i like how everyone on the sox shave their heads, including grady little... but pedro, manny and nomar refuse. nomar's the only one with any sort of excuse, the wedding and all, but manny and nomar are just being the bitches that they are. says a lot when your best player once said he couldn't play because of the flu but ended up in a bar later that same night with a member of the yankees...

and poor ben afleck looked so upset... is it 'cause the sox lost or because he's apparently back together with j-lo

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
1978 they had a commmanding lead to go to the divisional playoffs, yet all of a sudden they went on am incredible losing streak and found themselves tied with the Yankees.

And who was the manager of the 1978 team???

Don Zimmer

Oh by the way....the San Fransisco papers are reporting that the Boston Police are looking at charges against Jeff Nelson and Karim Garcia. The groundskeeper apparently did not attack them but it was the other way around.

Apparently jeff Nelson had problems with the groundskeeper in the past and they got into it. The groundskeeper was sent to the hosptial. In Garcia's defense....he did not know it was a groundskeeper and thought it was a fan.

Last edited:
I had my husband calling me during the game to ask what the hell was going on in the bullpen (He was directly up from the visitors on deck). No one in the park knew what it was.

Stinks to lose that one! BUT us Sox fans still have faith. Hopefully, at least one curse will be lifted.

GO SOX!!!!!!!

Well, I am not one for posting stories like this, but here goes.

I have a friend(I hate this) who wears one of the blue security jackets at the park. He was just on the phone with me and told me that Nelson indeed attacked the groundskeeper first. My friend also said that the groundskeeper was indeed overly cheering for the Sox, but that Nelson had indeed thrown the first punch, and Boston Police had indeed thought about arresting Nelson and Garcia but that they did not.

As for the game itself. It is of my opinion that Pedro wanted to hit Garcia. He lost a hold of the ball and it went for the head. It was obvious he did not have his control yesterday. That said, what an ugly game and chapter.

very little sympathy. lol :tsk:

[q]Zimmer's old nemesis piles it on

By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer
October 12, 2003
BOSTON (AP) -- For ex-Red Sox pitcher Bill ``Spaceman'' Lee, watching Don Zimmer go after Pedro Martinez brought back memories of his own verbal sparring with the man he dubbed ``The Gerbil.''

``Maybe it knocked some sense into him,'' Lee said in a telephone interview Sunday with The Associated Press, adding that he was impressed by Martinez. ``It's pretty hard to grab a bowling ball by the ears.''

Lee pitched for the Red Sox from 1969-78, a period that overlapped with Zimmer's 1976-80 tenure as manager. The two simply did not get along, with Zimmer refusing to speak to Lee at the end of the 1978 season and passing him over for a key start against the Yankees down the stretch.

The teams finished tied at the end of the regular season, with New York grabbing the AL East title by winning a one-game playoff on Bucky Dent's notorious homer.

Lee's antics earned him the nickname ``Spaceman,'' and since his retirement he's done little to alter his reputation. He has written several offbeat books, and he also ran for President of the United States on the ``No Guns, No Butter'' platform, saying: ``Both can kill you.''

Zimmer is now with the Yankees, who are playing the Red Sox in the AL championship series. During a bench-clearing brawl in Game 3 on Saturday, the 72-year-old bench coach lunged at Martinez.

The pitcher sidestepped Zimmer, grabbed his head and threw him to the ground.

While most involved in the fight considered it a black eye for baseball and tried to put it behind them, Lee felt no such compunction.

``What amazes me is that he didn't bounce,'' Lee said. ``I would have been sure he was full of helium.''

Even so, Lee allowed himself a moment of sympathy when Zimmer was lying on the field after the tussle.

``He's a human being,'' Lee said. ``You don't want to see him get hurt.''[/q]

Last edited:
It is fun to be staying exactly halfway between Boston and New York City right now. My hotel room has Boston AND New York TV. I am watching both sides of the story.

It is sad to see a BASEBALL series mared by "other stories." Perfect for the media...but lets get down to nuts and bolts. BASEBALL.

It was nice to see Zimm come out and apologize. I have a good feeling a baseball player (even a crazy one like Nelson), has to be "pushed" quite a bit to attack a groundskeeper. Maybe the groundskeeper should keep his mouth shut while being in the opposing team's bullpen! Maybe, if there were prior problems with Nelson and the groundskeeper, the Red Sox organization would have enough "smarts" to not have that guy in the Yankee bullpen.

Police report on Sox-Yankees bullpen altercation
By Boston.com Staff, 10/12/2003

The following is the text of the incident report filed by the Boston Police detective assigned to the Red Sox bullpen and the police officer assigned to the Yankees bullpen during Game 3 of the American League Championship Series Saturday night.

A member of the Fenway grounds crew, Paul Williams, 24, of New Hampshire, also assigned to the Yankees bullpen, and two Yankees players ? reliever Jeff Nelson and right fielder Karim Garcia ? got into a fight near the end of the game.

No charges have been filed against Nelson, 36, or Garcia, 27, even though this report indicates that the police officers involved intended to do so, characterizing the episode as assault and battery on Williams. It lists two New Hampshire men as witnesses to the fight.

The report says that ?hands, feet, and teeth? were used during the fight. It describes Nelson as 6?2? tall, 210 pounds, and ?muscular,? and quotes him as saying to Williams, ?If you?re gonna cheer, go on the other side (or words to that effect).? It describes Garcia as 200 pounds and also ?muscular.?

The report was filed at 9:40 p.m. Saturday, 2? hours after the altercation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While performing a paid detail at Fenway Park, Det. William Dunn, assigned to the Red Sox bullpen, and Officer Michael Pankievich assigned to the Yankees bullpen. Approximately 7:10 p.m., between the top and the bottom of the 9th inning, while standing outside of the bullpens and facing the crowd (and also bullpen occupants), Det. Dunn and Officer Pankievich observed a pitcher (Jeff Nelson) from the Yankees, approach the victim (who was standing in the corner of the bullpen). At this time (what appeared to be) a verbal confrontation ensued between the victim and Jeff Nelson. Officer Pankievich proceeded to that location in an attempt to separate the parties. While enroute, Jeff Nelson was observed pushing/grabbing the victim in the chest area at which time both parties fell to the ground where Jeff Nelson began punching and flaring his legs at the victim. At that point numerous other members of the Yankees bullpen jumped on the victim (some striking the victim and others attempting to break up the melee). The right fielder (Karim Garcia) from the Yankees was then observed jumping the right field wall, into the bullpen and begin striking down at the victim with his left hand. With the aid of other officers and Red Sox security staff, the parties were separated ending the incident. Further investigation revealed victim sustained numerous injuries, transported to Beth Israel Hospital and treated for injuries to his head, mouth and body (including what appeared to be numerous cleat marks). D899 Dets. Tierney and Gill responded to the Beth Israel Hospital where they further interviewed the victim and photographed his injuries. Lt. Kelly McCormick of Area B-3 forwarded witness information to Det. Dunn and P.O. Pankievich regarding their eyewitness account of the incident where they stated they observed member(s) of the NY Yankees baseball team initiate an unprovoked attack upon the victim. Summonses to be sought in Roxbury District Court for assault and battery on both Jeff Nelson and Karim Garcia of the Yankees baseball organization.

sure....unprovoked. EXACTLY what any fan would say. Same with the police....fans. You need a third party who isn't aiming to be some sort of "Red Sox Hero".......the one who will somehow help the outcome of a baseball game because Nelson won't be able to pitch/or Garcia won't be in the outfield.

:down: for the WHOLE situation. Baseball players beating fans/staff members. This didn't happen in game 1 and 2 in Yankee Stadium...what does that say about Boston and its staff and fans?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that article, MVD. I wanted to know what the Spaceman said about his old nemesis getting hurt.
I still think it's wrong to throw a 72-year-old man to the ground.
And I think karma's a bitch and will pay the Sox back big time.
GO YANKEES!!!!!!!
Diane
who is somewhat surprised and appalled by the number of Sox fans in this forum

I am officially going on the record as saying I am tired of Pedro throwing at players when he loses his stuff. Manny did not need to react the way he did either, although I would not want to be standing there expecting to get hit, so maybe it was his way of making sure he did not get hit.

I think the Red Sox ownership is tired of Pedro as well. They have worked very hard this year to create a new atmosphere at the park and for the most park it has worked. Pedro has not been a team player. He has not spoken to the press all year, nor has he been participating in the kinds of things like the shaving of the head, ect. He is a great pitcher, and Iadmire him for his skill at it, but he did not help himslef here in Boston the other day. The ownership issued a statement saying that they wish someone on our side had taken responsisbility the way Zimmer had. Read between the lines.

Peace....and lets play ball and let that do the talking.

zoney! said:
:down: for the WHOLE situation. Baseball players beating fans/staff members. This didn't happen in game 1 and 2 in Yankee Stadium...what does that say about Boston and its staff and fans?

What does it say about NY players that they "reportedly" threw the first punch?

Diane L said:
Thanks for posting that article, MVD. I wanted to know what the Spaceman said about his old nemesis getting hurt.
I still think it's wrong to throw a 72-year-old man to the ground.
And I think karma's a bitch and will pay the Sox back big time.
GO YANKEES!!!!!!!
Diane
who is somewhat surprised and appalled by the number of Sox fans in this forum

:mad: HA! That miserable 72 year old man shouldn't have been running across the field to punch our starting pitcher. All he was doing was trying to get Pedro thrown out of the game. He is lucky all he got was a shove and a cut on his nose. Lucky he didn't fall into the yankees bullpen........they may have killed him.

Back
Top Bottom