Recommend me a new artist to discover...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Before Christmas I was all U2 and very little else. Since Christmas I have wildly enjoyed Pink Floyd, The Beatles and David Bowie. Still have one more Beatles album to get, and probably another two Bowie albums, though at this stage I think I am done with Floyd, in terms of albums.

Anyway I am here because I want to continue my musical path of discovery. Can someone recommend an artist or band for me to get into, or try to. I'm looking for decently popular artists though. Recommend their most accesible albums/songs.

Anyone mentions Radiohead they get a crack over the head.

:)

Oh, yeah, and OK Computer. It has this great song on it called Fitter Happier that you should really check out.

Porcupine Tree. But you knew I'd say that. Stupid Dream is quality.

Or how about The Chills? Submarine Bells is such a gorgeously well done album.

LemonMelon said:
Oh, yeah, and OK Computer. It has this great song on it called Fitter Happier that you should really check out.

That's where my finger suddenly gained a mind of its own and floated to the off button... :cute:

and I was thinking about Led Zeppelin.

Axver said:
Porcupine Tree. But you knew I'd say that. Stupid Dream is quality.

Or how about The Chills? Submarine Bells is such a gorgeously well done album.

Are Porcupine Tree or The Chills death metal or metal? Cos if they are, no offence intended, but I'm not going anywhere near them.

COBL_04 said:

Are Porcupine Tree or The Chills death metal or metal? Cos if they are, no offence intended, but I'm not going anywhere near them.

Porcupine Tree most certainly aren't. They're heavy, but melodic. Definitely not mindless death metal.

COBL_04 said:

:lol: Hell no.

Now, in PT's heavier moments on their last three albums, I can see a comparison (especially Wedding Nails, which is seriously rockin' and rifftastic), but The Chills, metal? That's really funny. They were the most successful band of the Dunedin Sound, which had its origins in 60s pop-rock and 70s punk and was essentially proto-indie rock.

Now, if you ever want a metal mindfuck, just check out Melbourne's own Horde. Christian black metal! Simply the concept of the genre is enough to mess with your head.

I'm going to make an insanely huge list for you tomorrow. It'll blow your mind and make your wallet ache. :wink:

I'll second Porcupine Tree. I love Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream.

Look into Catherine Wheel. Ferment, Chrome, and Adam & Eve are all good.

LemonMelon said:
Stone Roses. Check out their debut ASAP.

First band that came to my head too, was the Stone Roses.

Only have two proper studio albums, but the self-titled debut is an absolute cracker. Seeimingly genre-less, yet with a huge Byrdsian sound and Madchester attitude. It's just an oh so sweet sound, and King Monkey's vocal enchants big time. Check out the epic This Is The One, She Bangs The Drums, I Wanna Be Adored, Made Of Stone, Waterfall....fuck, just check out the whole damn album, it is my favourite of all-time.

Their much maligned follow up takes on a different sound, almost Zeppelinesque, and while nowhere near as perfect as the predecessor, it still features some immensely interesting songs (Tears, Daybreak, Ten Storey Love Song, Begging You, Love Spreads, The Foz).

In terms of proper albums, that's all they had. There's another must-hear compilation of singles and b-sides called Turns Into Stone, which features their most famous song, Fools Gold, a Madchester anthem, and soem other crackers, such as Elephant Stone, Mersey Paradise, Where Angels Play and "ring-a-ding-ding-ding we're Going Down."

Also a few other worthwhile tunes that aren't on these compilations, such as Sally Cinnamon, All Across The Sands and er...all 10 seconds of Haddock.

But once you fulfil your Stone Roses journey (which shouldn't take long with such a limited canon), you'll find yourself delving into Madchester (Happy Mondays, New Order), Ian Brown's underated solo material (new album just released folks, The World Is Yours, featuring a duet with Sinead O) learning to appreciate Oasis, Suede, Blur and The Verve, and most of al, you will almost certainly discover and grow to adore The Smiths and Morrissey, who most on this forum have immense respect for.

a few years ago i bought 'The Very Best of The Smiths' from amazon.co.uk for £5. Best purchase i ever made.

a perfect introduction to a near perfect band :up:

Queen. Buy A Night At The Opera. It's one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
only one band you need to check out.... MUSE MUSE AND MORE MUSE AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!

:rockon:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
only one band you need to check out.... MUSE MUSE AND MORE MUSE AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!

U2Fanatic4ever said:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

get it?

and then once you get Muse you can listen to some RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE MUTHAFUCKA UNNGHHH

also try Dredg. More people should listen to Dredg. Amazing band. Kind of progressive, doing concept albums and the like, but still pretty accessible. very emotional, often uplifting (or haunting) music with a bit of an Eastern influence...

http://www.dredgonline.com/audio.shtml this fan site has some rare/unreleased tracks you can download for free. Obviously not all of them are the band's best work, but check out the song Uplifting. If you dig that, maybe look into Catch Without Arms. That's their most poppy record.

Based on the original post by COBL, I think it might be better to recommend another iconic, clasic artist, than something more niche or modern. Floyd, Beatles, and Bowie sound like a primer course in revolutionary 60's rock acts, so why stop there?

My first choice would be Dylan. As far as accessibility and a good starting point are concerned I would probably go with Highway 61 Revisited, then Blonde on Blonde. His voice won't sound as irritating as it is on some of the earlier albums, and doesn't have the filler like most subsequent releases. The abstract imagery of the songs has much in common with the writing of the other 3 artists mentioned above (and he was certainly a very influence on Beatles & Bowie).

If you really have a distaste for Dylan already and don't want to try this, I'd go with Hendrix. Might as well start with Are You Experienced, but you only need to get his 3 studio albums anyway.

I'm going to recommend singer-songwriter and gifted musician, Garnet Rogers. He's folk but also drifts into rock ,blues, jazz, progressive, as well as classical elements as well. I've been a fan of his for about fifteen years. He just released a new album that is "Get A Witness".. oh it's simply frikkin' incredible. Try him out if you get a chance.

www.garnetrogers.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHyTxGwAdnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0c3gA76uPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcUhUlsudS8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q490NYHBytg

AtomicBono said:

get it?

and then once you get Muse you can listen to some RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE MUTHAFUCKA UNNGHHH

also try Dredg. More people should listen to Dredg. Amazing band. Kind of progressive, doing concept albums and the like, but still pretty accessible. very emotional, often uplifting (or haunting) music with a bit of an Eastern influence...

http://www.dredgonline.com/audio.shtml this fan site has some rare/unreleased tracks you can download for free. Obviously not all of them are the band's best work, but check out the song Uplifting. If you dig that, maybe look into Catch Without Arms. That's their most poppy record.

:reject:

:giggle:

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am... (brit pop with a little edge)

Ben Folds Five (not new but he's still around doing other stuff)

Feist - Mushaboom

Fiona Apple - extraordinary machine

(I don't usually like female singers but these last two are AMAZING)

Foo Fighters - start with The Colour and the Shape (Dave Grohl likes to scream a little but there's lots of not screaming too!)

The Fratellis (more brit pop)

The Housemartins (ska - again, not new but worth it)

The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree (you might not like, but it's worth a shot)

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (dreamy)

Pete Yorn - Day I Forgot or Music For The Morning After (sad and soulful IMHO)

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (brit pop) hmm.... sensing a theme

I assume you know The Mamas and The Papas, The Who, The Doors, The Pretenders, Prince, REM, The Police, The Clash, Talking Heads, etc. These are some of my personal "Icons of Rock Music". Good luck in your quest!

What should a crazed Smiths fan recommend...:wink:

Listen to the Smiths...and Morrissey, everyone should listen to them, they are just completely amazing. The Queen Is Dead is probably the best Smiths album to start with. As for You Are The Quarry, Viva Hate or maybe his best of Suedehead, got that for 5 euro one day one of the best purchases I ever made.

Back
Top Bottom